What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED vertical scrog

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Hi ichabod nice ladies u grow:biggrin:
I'm thinking to add some vertical screens to my room so it don't take up the whole space when i try to grow some kerala gold. They should stretch for about 10 weeks at 11/13. should i still veg the whole height of the screen? Its a small room with max 20" lighted height for the screen and about 31" width per plant. The screen will start about 25" over ground level.
Thx chilli

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I'm curious Icky,why did you get away from the circular orientated grow method? Is it on account of plant numbers?
I would think you would get more from your plants with multiple points of light and light them up from all directions. No arguing your results though,you're growing giants:biggrin:

When you grow in a circle it is to maximize your light. If you use a bulb the light come from all sides of the bulb. So in order to not loose light to the reflector as heat you grow in a circle. So you grow in a circle.

But when you use LEDs the light comes off at 120 degrees. Therefore you don't need to grow in a circle. And this brings the advantage of not having the plants shad each other as they grow towards the light. And because they grow towards the light your surface area shrinks. And also you don't have all the trimming later because of this shading.

I mentioned earlier about the multiple points of light. Each LED light has 450 points of light. And I am using 6 lights in this room. That spreads the light out further than 2 or 3 bulbs could do.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Hi ichabod nice ladies u grow:biggrin:
I'm thinking to add some vertical screens to my room so it don't take up the whole space when i try to grow some kerala gold. They should stretch for about 10 weeks at 11/13. should i still veg the whole height of the screen? Its a small room with max 20" lighted height for the screen and about 31" width per plant. The screen will start about 25" over ground level.
Thx chilli

I would not. That is a sure fire way to have problems. I you go back and look at my first picture of when I put them on screens you can see how much they have stretched. And they don't stretch as much on the screen as they do flat on the floor.

What I can not say for sure is how much screen you need. That is something that you will have to figure out yourself by grow your strain several times.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Sweet my LED strips have been sent. Should be here early next week.

Enough for another 28 lights. But I only have 24 heat sinks and 17 drivers. So I can only put 17 together till I get more drivers.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I got these guys in. It has been warm the last week or so so I could get these in the mail.

I got several packages of them and put them in the fridge. I will send them into the grow over the next several months as a preventative.

I put them in the fridge at 42 degrees. It is not a frost free but it is only at 30-35% RH so I will have to get them out now and then to water them. The gauge changed after I opened the door and got my camera.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I have been keeping a close eye on the leaves to see what my plants need. Since the old nute mix I have been using has not been working ideally. Yesterday I took some pictures.

To me it appears to be a potassium shortage. If you go to the infirmary there are two stickied threads that lead me to believe this is what is happening. The first is by Joe Fresh and is here:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=231387

Th second is by Mynamestitch and is here:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=11688

If you go down you will see what they have to say about potassium deficiency. It states that it shows up around the edges of the leaves. It will show up as crinkly leaves and dying along the edges. It shows up in the older leaves first.

Here is a bunch of the older leaves that show this trend of dying along the edges.

And here is a picture of just one leave. It shows the crinkly as well as the dying along the edge.

So what is causing this. The list of things that cause it are PH being out, to much nitrogen, and lack of potassium. I am pretty sure it is not the PH being off so we can cross that off.

The excess nitrogen is a pretty good guess to me. If you look at the leaf above and this picture here you can see that the leaves are pretty dark and very glossy. My guess is that is to much nitrogen.

I have been feeding MKP to the plants. I have posted when I have so far. You can see it in the leaf tips. It is the burned tips. This didn't show up till I added the MKP.

So going forward I am going to see if I can back off the nitrogen. This should not be that hard with the new nutes because they have less nitrogen in the A part. And they also have a higher potassium in the A which will allow me to add more calcium nitrate while keeping the nitrogen down because the lower amount in the A part. And this will allow me to keep the calcium up as well.

Anyway thoughts?

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i agree with the excess N theory...those new leaves look overfed to me although i would generally say a little tip burn means you're in the zone...

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
i agree with the excess N theory...those new leaves look overfed to me although i would generally say a little tip burn means you're in the zone...

I am not worried about the tip burn. I just put that in there to show that the nitrogen was heavy even thought I was not over feeding the plants. I agree with you a little tip burn is OK. And I have just a little tip burn so I think it is good like you said.

Thanks for your input.:tiphat:

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Tonight I will again be adding a teaspoon of MKP to the 5 gallon feed for the flower room.

I spent most of the day rough trimming another flower room. Here is 2.5 plants hung to dry. The room is 7 feet deep and the strings are 16 inches apart for a idea of what is there.

DunHav`nFun

Purty flowers...…:peacock: …..Hell Ick.....I`ll agree with Unc on the plants holding onto too much N at this point in the game , but you`re not 1 to strip leaves after end of stretch that absolutely takes a lotta stored N outta the equation in the large fans.....and....you`re halfway thru , so how to reduce nitrates while still keeping Calcium and Phosphorous up for swellage with calcium carbonate and MPK/monopotassium phosphate ?...…big flush with 1/2 strength bloom nutes to help swellage?.....you can`t do that with Jack`s can you ?....

Enquiring minds wanna know.....Regardless.....You know as well as I do yo bitches is kickin , you`re just tryin ta fine tune the juice recipe to supply and nurture ALL growth with no signs of over or under feeding/minor deficiency in lower leaves , when you know that can`t be done on the back side of bloomage my buddy.....but.....

Getting rid of excess N now ensures dense swellage compared to air biscuit buds if kept green and lush till end of cycle , but you know this , so handle yo bidness…..Always proud ta come here and watch yrs of learnin and proper application of said acquired knowledge.....

Keep strokin Icky , and thanks for your time...…and even though I mention a lotta shit you know , it`s for the folks that don`t and might`ve missed it along the way , so just know it ain`t pickin at you....jus tryin ta help.....and....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying: …..

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Do those big plants get dried out sometimes. That’s a big plant to keep wet. Dropping the humidity and it happens faster. Might be time for a multi feed vs old man and his bucket side by side.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Do those big plants get dried out sometimes. That’s a big plant to keep wet. Dropping the humidity and it happens faster. Might be time for a multi feed vs old man and his bucket side by side.

Yes they will get dried out here soon. I mentioned it earlier that the plants would start to get the claw because one feed a day was a little short for a five gallon bag. But my humidity usually stays around 45-50%.

Purty flowers...…:peacock: …..Hell Ick.....I`ll agree with Unc on the plants holding onto too much N at this point in the game , but you`re not 1 to strip leaves after end of stretch that absolutely takes a lotta stored N outta the equation in the large fans.....and....you`re halfway thru , so how to reduce nitrates while still keeping Calcium and Phosphorous up for swellage with calcium carbonate and MPK/monopotassium phosphate ?...…big flush with 1/2 strength bloom nutes to help swellage?.....you can`t do that with Jack`s can you ?....

I think the two big things going on right now is to much nitrogen and to little potassium.

I can reduce my nitrogen by lowering the amount of calcium nitrate but then I short myself on the calcium. So not ideal since I need the calcium for swellage. So I will remove the fans over week nine and just flush with plain water;

For the potassium I will just keep adding MKP. This should help with the swelllage and also make the stems stiffer to support the added bud weight.

Enquiring minds wanna know.....Regardless.....You know as well as I do yo bitches is kickin , you`re just tryin ta fine tune the juice recipe to supply and nurture ALL growth with no signs of over or under feeding/minor deficiency in lower leaves , when you know that can`t be done on the back side of bloomage my buddy.....but.....

Yes it is a little late in this flower to make drastic changes to the feed. I can tweak a little like I said above. Mostly I am just looking to improve my feed for next time. And yes the buds are looking pretty good. But I just want them a little better next time.
Always room to improve.

Getting rid of excess N now ensures dense swellage compared to air biscuit buds if kept green and lush till end of cycle , but you know this , so handle yo bidness…..Always proud ta come here and watch yrs of learnin and proper application of said acquired knowledge.....

I have a lot of people watching this thread even if they are not commenting. And so I need to include as much as I can so I don't get a bunch of questions latter. That said I am not perfect so throwing this thread out there will allow me to catch more knowledge so I can keep learning.

Keep strokin Icky , and thanks for your time...…and even though I mention a lotta shit you know , it`s for the folks that don`t and might`ve missed it along the way , so just know it ain`t pickin at you....jus tryin ta help.....and....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying: …..

It is all good DF just keep posting. It aint hurting my ego. I encourage the comments so I can improve and so can others. And you know as well as I do people always miss stuff in the beginning and wonder later why something was done a certain way. So keep poking so that others can learn as well.:headbange

And besides I asked for comments earlier. There is nothing boringer than talking to yourself.:tumbleweed:

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Been following your methods in Uncs thread for a bit now. Had to stop by here, and say hi. Don't forget to give this thread the five star rating it deserves folks. :good:

Fitzera

For those who would like to do an vertical led setup, this may interest you...I had no idea they made leds specifically for vertical grows...

IMG_20191204_124843267_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191204_124854953_HDR.jpg

DunHav`nFun

By GAWD......That`s more money on custom light arrays than those plants will pay for guaranteed.....Guess they`ll pay for themselves sooner or later ….I mean OMG......Check the fukin inline fans on top of the God only knows how tall those units are , suckin heatgain out......Walls covered every foot top to bottom with horizontal arrays on top for the damndest hybrid setup I`ve seen in awhile...and.....

Look at those smartpots…...not sure what size they are.....45`s.....bigger ?.....surely there`s automated feed setup , and if not , the only thing that makes sense is that maybe it`s organic water only type ?.....dunno , but I bet there`s no popcorn on the lowers of those plants LOL.....sheesh....the lengths folks will go to for the almighty dollar , regardless of throwin money up a hog`s ass for all the bells and whistles.....

Keep strokin with yo DIY IckyLED`s my buddy.....Some folks got more dollars than cents/"sense"....and hey Ick.....Swap`s compound `s been blasted by typhoons twice in 3 weeks with 17 dead the first time and at least 16 dead on Christmas day , so ya`ll say a lil prayer and maybe he`s aight....He`s smart and has resources , but when power`s out and flooding`s involved , let`s just say I hope he`s got his head above water and chillin.....

Peace....DHF....:ying: ……..

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
By GAWD......That`s more money on custom light arrays than those plants will pay for guaranteed.....Guess they`ll pay for themselves sooner or later ….I mean OMG......Check the fukin inline fans on top of the God only knows how tall those units are , suckin heatgain out......Walls covered every foot top to bottom with horizontal arrays on top for the damndest hybrid setup I`ve seen in awhile...and.....

Look at those smartpots…...not sure what size they are.....45`s.....bigger ?.....surely there`s automated feed setup , and if not , the only thing that makes sense is that maybe it`s organic water only type ?.....dunno , but I bet there`s no popcorn on the lowers of those plants LOL.....sheesh....the lengths folks will go to for the almighty dollar , regardless of throwin money up a hog`s ass for all the bells and whistles.....

Keep strokin with yo DIY IckyLED`s my buddy.....Some folks got more dollars than cents/"sense"....and hey Ick.....Swap`s compound `s been blasted by typhoons twice in 3 weeks with 17 dead the first time and at least 16 dead on Christmas day , so ya`ll say a lil prayer and maybe he`s aight....He`s smart and has resources , but when power`s out and flooding`s involved , let`s just say I hope he`s got his head above water and chillin.....

Peace....DHF....:ying: ……..

Dang I hope he is doing OK. Merry Christmas right.

The 6 lights I have cost $1500. And I am sure I will get 3 pounds. But you have to add a floor fan, a wall fan a 8 inch inline fan, and a carbon scrubber.

So that is
1500 for Lights
100 for screens
130 for scrubber and fan
30 for wall fan
20 for floor fan

And I am at $1780 for 3 pounds. Well a little more when you add the bags and coco. So about $600 per pound first run for equipment.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Well we have reached day 42 of flower today. So six weeks went by real quick huh?

So we will start out with the before and current pictures. The first is the picture of the beginning of day one when they went into flower.

Next is today 42.5 days latter.

Looking at the second picture keep in mind that I added the upper screen. That screen added a extra foot on top from the first picture.

I should also mention that the depth of the plant is now 8-10 out from the screen. The buds are starting to hang down when I pull them now. That is good so I can get the light on both sides of the colas. Not all are leaning out but a good amount now.

I also did my overwhelming clean up of the leaves. Just a terrible amount of time here. Must have been a minute and a half. Well maybe two minutes.