What's new

LED Help Please!!!

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't know, but they seem to be very long-lived with appreciably less lumen depreciation than other lamps.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Flat9 - I just had a pretty vivid demonstration of the 315's potential.

I chopped the two Tsi Fly's shown earlier last Friday, and they hung for 5 days. Last night I de-stemmed them and jarred them up to equalize. After 14 hours in the jars, they are averaging 60% moisture content, so I expect it to rise a bit more, but not much.

The little plant yielded 70.4 grams, or 2-1/2 ozs. The larger plant yielded 232.5 grams or 8.25 ozs!! That is far and away the most that I've ever had an indoor plant yield.

This was under a single 315w CDM Elite Agro in a 30" x 30" tent - I have 5 cuts from the larger plant in their second week of flower in a 4x4 tent under (2) of the 315s (930s, not Agros). They started flowering faster than any plant I can remember - they had vegged for 5 weeks, and were showing pistils in 5 days.

It should be very interesting to see how these plants respond to two lamps.

2000pm

Damn rives should have stayed away from this thread!

After following your hybrid lighting fixture I too am finding that the heat control of the unit leaves me wanting due to the way it just dumps it into the tent to be extracted wholesale.

I am strongly leaning towards the 210w for my 2x2 tent but wonder if I could even step up to the 315w based on your notes about its heat signature?

I'm going to have to do some reading to use these retrofit systems but have you come across any hoods that might fit in such a small tent? The smallest bell lighting might be a tad too large even if it barely fits in there...

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, the Bell 600 would probably be too big - the hood itself fits, but trying to get the ductwork attached would be very difficult unless the holes in the tent lined up directly with where the ducts exit the hood. I have one in a GL80, and it was difficult to hook up. A quick search didn't turn up much, you might try looking for reflectors that are aimed at a 400w lamp. Before I settled on the Bell, I was leaning toward the original Super Sun, but I think that the new version is bigger and the air outlets come straight out of the ends which is even more of a problem than the Bell's, which angle upward.

I doubt that you would have a problem with the 315w over the 210w - my GL80 doesn't run warm at all, and it isn't a hell of a lot bigger.

flat9

That's an awesome plant you grew there Rives! Congrats on the harvest bro.

Back to the LED vs CMH vs whatever debate. I asked Houyi (http://www.ledaquagrow.com/LEDGrowLight/COBReflectorSeries.html) to give me some PAR footprint results before I made a purchase (they begrudgingly did so). They used their 90 degree reflector for their tests, though they also have a 110 degree and 70 degree reflector. I presume the coverage would be better with the 110 degree though it's quite good already with 90 degree.

Here's the 4' x 4' grid for the 75w x 16 COB model from 12", which they state runs at just under 700 watts actual draw:

attachment.php

Here's the 4' x 4' grid for the 75w x 9 COB model from 12", which they state runs a just under 400 watts actual draw:

attachment.php

If these measurements are to be believed, the 16 COB model is overkill, and it seems you could replace a 1000 watt HPS with a 400 watt LED ... the 9 COB model should be sufficient to cover a 4 x 4 quite well. Similarly, I've heard some very good things about the Sol 9 from HGL in terms of coverage, though they haven't given me a PAR footprint test despite me asking for it.

Could it be that the right LEDs are out there but we just have been pessimistic due to the older technology?

Attachments

• 16x75.jpg
    16x75.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 9x75.jpg
    9x75.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 17

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Could it be that the right LEDs are out there but we just have been pessimistic due to the older technology?

That could very easily be the case.

The problem that I started to recognize was not getting adequate power to the plants, or covering the footprint, or even the cost. Most of the choices other than the white spectrum LEDs are so narrowly targeted that they can, and do, miss what the plant really needs. Many manufacturers have compensated for this with a wide variety of different color leds within the fixture, basically throwing shit at the wall and hoping that something sticks.

Spending a ton of money on something that will last a very long time and provides exactly what the plant wants/needs is one thing - doing it repetitively because they didn't quite hit the target is a whole different issue. I would be willing to bet that I bought all of my CDM equipment - (3) hoods, (10) lamps, (10) sockets, (9) ballasts, and the enclosures for the ballasts for roughly what one of those fixtures will cost. Ebay is a wonderful place if you know what you are looking for, particularly if the seller doesn't know what they have.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone interested in buying/building an led panel/light should subscribe to www.ledmagazine.com

The current issue has awakened me to not buy any fixed diode/emitter lights at this time, and likely never

One article blows up the 50,000 hour life expectancy BS. It might be true, but not as a useful light to grow mj. There example shows the same light new v 5000 hours. 5000 divided by 15 (av hours per day between V & B)= 333 days. Nooooooooooooooo!

I am going to go with either a manufactured light where cobs are easily replaced by the owner, or a DIY using Molex receptacles + COBs

See my new thread in LED Forum titled O-M-G
for an awesome DIY

flat9

I would be willing to bet that I bought all of my CDM equipment - (3) hoods, (10) lamps, (10) sockets, (9) ballasts, and the enclosures for the ballasts for roughly what one of those fixtures will cost. Ebay is a wonderful place if you know what you are looking for, particularly if the seller doesn't know what they have.

If this is the case, please let me know where you bought this stuff! LOL.

The 9 x 75 watt model costs $483, and the 16 x 75 watt model costs $767. I just don't see how I'm going to touch that with CDM at the current moment...

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh, that's right - you like Chinese gear! Well, as I said above, eBay. I found my ballasts for anywhere $25 - $45 each (this is when they were going for around $400, my cost, from an electrical wholesale house that I've used for 25+ years). The lamps were $20 each, vs $114 from the same source. The downside is how long it may take to find them, they are still pretty rare. WestCoast gave me a pretty good price on three hoods, and the sockets were $14/each, minimum quantity of 10 from Mitronix.

flat9

Rives I haven't been able to find anything close to those prices on a cursory look on eBay. Do you have the model numbers for the ballasts I should be looking for? Thanks ahead of time...

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
From the ones that I've picked up, very few people list them by model number. Keep an eye out for Philips, Advance, WideLite, and Venture - the last three are all wholly-owned subsidiaries, and watch for any of those with a 315 or 630 watt rating. I found a bunch of them one time that were WideLite double-ballasted parking lot fixtures, just the ballast housing, and they were being sold as 630w autotransformer ballasts. Even the factory ballast label said "Autotransformer", but the pictures clearly showed the Philips electronic ballasts inside.

With that long-winded explanation out of the way, the model number is IZTMH210315RLF.

Latest posts

Latest posts