LED Game of Thrones: HLG Phosphor White vs HGL RGB White

• HGL

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • HLG

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HybridsBud

LED Game of Thrones: Will HLG's Samsung Quantum Boards be knocked from their top position in the LED industry, or will they reign supreme against the RGB white spectrum from HGL?

Hi everyone, I'm new here on behalf of my buddy HybridWay2 on RIU, who was the winner of a LED grow light giveaway from Hydro Grow LED. Due to his little personal time to respond to online forums, I am helping him by posting his weekly updates to other sites so the entire marijuana grow community can tune in for this showdown. While I can't share the link to his journal as this would violate the TOS of this site, if you want to search for it the title is "HLG vs HGL Side by Side Take Two".

I will be copying and pasting his updates to his main thread here, and will be available to answer most questions related to the test. So without further introduction, let the games begin!

HybridWay2: Before we begin id like to thank Cammie from HGL & Stephen from HLG for giving me/ us this oppertunity. Takes balls fir sure. Those of you who don't know, HydroGrowLed is back. Cammi has been Making Waves with a shocking display of light give aways to growers whom will mostly provide side by side documented grows vs. the TopDawg of RIU, voted by the community. Whom of course is no other then our very own, well known QuantumBoard Creator himself, drumrole pls..... @Stephenj37826 @robincnn. Proprietors of HLG.

So, there's so much to say about how like HGL is a founder of led grow lights over a decade ago breaking gpw's that we have a tough time with today. I remember believeing from memory that these are Not just Claims.

HLG, stepped up light distribution & electrical efficiency of their fixtures with the QB platform. Forcing many competitors to follow suit & creating a Monster QB trend. There are many who vouche for these boards & very nice grows to back them up. They have recently started to enhance their white spectrum using 630's & 660's as well as a higher K Temp., making a sweet full cycle grow light.

HLG uses a white phosphor based led as their Horticultural Lighting Solution, Whereas HGL uses Red/Green/Blue tech. Creating a spectrum specifically designed by the owner Cammi using a mathematical equation based on Nasa studies on tomatoes. Research Theory further backed up by A Plants absorption chart that appears pretty accurate & I think can be proven. Showing how much of each nm the plant uses & a ton of stuff she could explain better.

HGL'S lights are here & HLG'S new light will Premier here Thur or Fri I'm hoping. $5 admission! Lol! So we'll start with a little HGL since they're up n running for almost 2 days now in veg.

Short on time for intro but they'll be plenty more to follow.
HGL recommended & provided x4 of their 84x models (150w) 1'x1' panels using their 3x special lenses to cover a 4x4.
Only RGB is used in these lights.

Here's what my 4x4 would approx look like based on HGL's many par Charts.

20190430_092546-jpg.4326138

My spacing will prob be a lil further tho.

Not bad coverage at all but for them its more about spectrum. Being the key to heavy yields & plant health. Cammi says this light quality is far more important then quantity/spread, or electrical system efficiency.
Correct me if I'm wrong anywhere HGL?
Came shipped fast, like real fast & was well packed with protective Foam & extra corners built onto the box. (I tore off)

This Package to cover a 4x4 is small & easy on shipping I'd imagine .
12"x12" Panels

105• Lens/Diode array

HybridsBud

Not sure why I can't edit my post or why the pictures didn't work the first time. Hopefully I have it figured out this time:

Here's what my 4x4 would approx look like based on HGL's many
par Charts.
picture.php

My spacing will prob be a lil further tho.

Not bad coverage at all but for them its more about spectrum. Being the key to heavy yields & plant health. Cammi says this light quality is far more important then quantity/spread, or electrical system efficiency.
Correct me if I'm wrong anywhere HGL?
Came shipped fast, like real fast & was well packed with protective Foam & extra corners built onto the box. (I tore off)

picture.php

This Package to cover a 4x4 is small & easy on shipping I'd imagine .
12"x12" Panels
picture.php

picture.php

105• Lens/Diode array
picture.php

HybridsBud

Backside using screen to cover fans & Daisychainable.
picture.php

picture.php

They'll be veg to follow. Then to flower!
Thanks to all for tuning in. I will do my very best to maintain even parameters in every way possible to me.
Oh,PS i got that LedDefficiency thing down now so now worries. Took me long enough tho. Damn!

HybridsBud

There are 2 Girls Gone Wild #1's

picture.php

My #2 looks like the photo but #1 is different. Ill show later.

picture.php

picture.php

And 2 HeavyDutyFruity x SweetTooth.

picture.php

picture.php

HybridsBud

These plants are dry in the pics but are pretty even in all ways. They are same cut from same mom taken on the same day. They all just started getting nutrients besides CloneX or water & are looking to get growing.
New x3 coat paint job with white Panda divider.

picture.php

Each side being an even 5'3" x 4'3"

picture.php

picture.php

18" manufacturer recommended growing height.

picture.php

Am currently Running the QB Trinity around 36" Using a 320w power draw. Goes up to 528w & all the way down to 202w. That's using the screw on the driver. Im running the Trinity Protype here guys. Not the actual production model. HLG said that will be different with more Beef & a few other things. But the proto will emit the same light.
He asked to wait till this wknd to show it awaiting Patent to go through even though its the proto.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=80198&pictureid=1944322

HybridsBud

Running x3 of the x4 , Penetrator 84x HGL'S for a total draw of 472w.

picture.php

picture.php

Side By Side Parameters:

•LIGHTS: will be divided at all times

HYDROGROW LED = X4 , 84X models
https://www.hydrogrowled.com

Horticultural Lighting Group = QB Trinity 520
Releases in July
https://horticulturelightinggroup.com

Flower Area: 4x4

MEDIA: CycoPearl Coco switching to Canna at transplant with mild ETC Amendment.

Nutrients: TechNaFlora + Mag

Strains to select from if both dont fit.

- Girls Gone Wild (pheno #1) = GirlScoutCookies (forum cut) x Blueberry Muffin

- HeavyDutyFruity x SweeTooth
Been attacked by a rare alien root bug recently that yellowed her leaves but heres the mom:

picture.php

No root bug will get me again. Eerrrggg!!!
Co2 : Yes

Style : -Double Trellis support / Bush
-hand water
-drain to vac/waste

Potts: 6"-1 gall to 2-3 gall to 7 gall

Feel free to ask if there's any questions or if missed anything .

HybridsBud

HLG Trinity @ 35" centered
picture.php

HGL 84x in that 3 light configuration. All 3 on, about 17".
picture.php

And a 2' reading.
picture.php

Dropped the Trinity down to 32" .
picture.php

Stays around 300 on the corners.
picture.php

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Think I will take a seat and I don't think you can edit your posts till you've made 25 posts or 50 not sure but best of luck.:tiphat:

HybridsBud

Well, apparently things have gone a step further in the behind the scenes drama end of things & i will now be running all x4 , 84x lights in veg at a power draw of 567w

picture.php

Tall plants are 21" & short plants in front are currently 24", working down.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This will allow both sides a square footprint overall rather then matching ppf like i originally wanted to do, or like matching wattage which seemed like the next best thing . Now both lights are on full power covering a 4x4 as designed to. Guess we get full power veg guy n gals. This autta be interesting as well as expensive. Ha, oh what's another 100 to show the community the truth right?! Im Sure it won't stop there.
HLG TRINITY full Power Scottti, still 32" .

picture.php

HybridsBud

picture.php

All 4 lights set to exactly 18"off plants now. Equalized the plants to the floor so all lights are hung at an equal level. Same distance from the ceiling, creating one big panel. This should even out the readings for each side.
Heres the edges aprox 18" down & 6" off the walls on either side. Remember, im using my EyeChrometer after using the tape to gain several refference points. So its not exact .

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

HybridsBud

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Pretty even now

So, both companies have aprox 6-800 oooohmols ova each competing plant.
2 strains each but are both also vegging 2 more sets of doubles.

These are 2 totally different animals. Right now they are both at the manufactures recommended height, which happens to be pretty even par readings.
-The HGL'S are @ 18" w/ lenses
-The HLG is @ 32" w/o lenses
Guess that solves that old debate easily enough

Both side are happy rn

picture.php

J

jaded1

Good luck with the side by side,should be a very interesting 1.
Looks like the qb's put out a lot more light than the hgl using less watts but will have to see if the spectrum in the hgl works better.

HybridsBud

Sorry for the late update. This update is from 5/13/19:

My thing is this & i hope no one takes offense to my speaking openly kind've. Yes, i bite my tongue.
How's a guesstimated Electrical efficiency of idk, lets be generous n say 1.7 umol/j passive fixture, then slap a 3x lens on it, which HGL has already said its about time as she predicted to phase it out due to HE. 7% loss per layer, x3 layers= 21% total light loss to gain a 35-40% light gain on the canopy alone being directed/focused. Obviously HLG uses the walls or overlapping light as an advantage. So thats even a tougher blow to hgl. Now, hlg is banging somewhere around what? 2.8 @ 520? 1 whole umol/j higher before lens loss. That being raw diodes spread out wide.
How can it compete? I guess we'll find out. In the end shes laying 3-800 umols of the Magic sauce down on the 4x4 either way, so all the efficiency in the world might not make a difference. Theres lil advantage of an even 1000 ppfd over a spikey 800 ppfd in many cases due to "Plant Energy Transfer" Yes, its proven to be real & i believe in it. Link my dink. Wide light opens plants up though, whereas spot lit areas will always be having the plant growing tight to the central source.
HGL is prob working on ways to make her lights more like todays, modern fixtures as we speak.
Especially if there's Magic Sauce involved with actual science to back it up. Havent seen that in awhile. Only good results & that has us satisfied. No articles on why white phoshor that ive seen. Aside from speculation & closer to full sunlike.
Its all speculation at this point who am i kidding. Lol!
Its actually pretty even, its just i get to dim the Trinity to veg more plants @ even ppfds.

Center Trinity @ 300ish w. , 35". The tape measure actually does block light as iys a Fat-Max but i tried to find the best spot for each light.
picture.php

Center of the x4 , 84x's , 575w # 35". Puts the plants a lil less then center fixture if it were one fixture. All lights are even height to create one fixture or unit .
picture.php

HDF x ST took a beating on both sides with the intense light levels but are honna grow right out of it. Gave them both s good prunning & leaf cut. Equal Dimensions.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php