What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED 💡 for 4ft x 4f x 6.6ft tent

HCMPA

A 4x4 is a 1000 HID. Where we might of seen 1.7umol/w. When LED reaches 3.5umol/w then we can think about 500w replacing 1000w.
However, some people did a 4x4 with a 6. Which a 450w LED should be able to replace.
It's interesting to see people with 650w, are actually using them, or most of them. They are not turning them down to 450, unless there grow is going wrong. Or they are getting the plants acclimatised.

450w will certainly work. It's entry level, but 30w a foot of reasonable LED will work. It's just not a target I would set myself. You may buy a 650 and run it at 450 while you find your feet again, but 450w would soon become a hindrance, If you want to step up.

I'm trying to be careful, not to say 450w won't work. It will. It just won't be 650w
I got it sir, your insight was water clear to me, I now know why Mars and Spider in their graphical representation of the covertures say something different than in their text, where it said can cover 4ft tents, you can see different history:
FC4800-Samsung-LM301H-EVO-Smart-LED-Grow-Light-2-2.jpg

Again thanks for your insight which really light me up sir!

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
I bought a V-tac Samsung 200W 20000lm 5000k outdoors caster and I am as happy as with the Mars hydro 150W I got recently. it's about finding out what outputs you want and how much you can afford (the V-tac outdoor lamps are on sale for black friday too).
If I could I would go for that Philizon they were talking about.

also GrowlightAustralia seems to have decent products.

tbh I got fed up spending money on tech that leaves things to be desired so I just invested in diodes that I'm going to assemble myself.

goingrey

From the three you list the Mars Hydro 4800-EVO is the best with the Samsung LM301H chips. It is also the most expensive.

The other two use LM301B, same as similar priced Mars Hydro 4800 (non-EVO).

HCMPA

I bought a V-tac Samsung 200W 20000lm 5000k outdoors caster and I am as happy as with the Mars hydro 150W I got recently. it's about finding out what outputs you want and how much you can afford (the V-tac outdoor lamps are on sale for black friday too).
If I could I would go for that Philizon they were talking about.

also GrowlightAustralia seems to have decent products.

tbh I got fed up spending money on tech that leaves things to be desired so I just invested in diodes that I'm going to assemble myself.
Make sense, I works from home in tech and I need high/big storage, processing capacity and time to time even brute graphical power, so I ended many years backs doing my own hardware architecture and being my own hardware repair man, this is why I don't want to turn into an indoor grower builder, I want it easy, I want just to enjoy it, hope I don't sound myself a lazy one, I mean, I am, but no so lazy xD

Thank you so much!

HCMPA

From the three you list the Mars Hydro 4800-EVO is the best with the Samsung LM301H chips. It is also the most expensive.

The other two use LM301B, same as similar priced Mars Hydro 4800 (non-EVO).
Thanks for point it out, you are right!

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
Make sense, I works from home in tech and I need high/big storage, processing capacity and time to time even brute graphical power, so I ended many years backs doing my own hardware architecture and being my own hardware repair man, this is why I don't want to turn into an indoor grower builder, I want it easy, I want just to enjoy it, hope I don't sound myself a lazy one, I mean, I am, but no so lazy xD

Thank you so much!
oh but you will. :sasmokin:

acespicoli

@Mars Hydro Led
Will this fit a 4x4 and it has the dimmer? with uv and ir that kills molds fungi ?
May increase terpenes and cannabinoids ?

You cant go wrong with these if they are in your budget,
@Mars Hydro Led can some times get you a discount code for ICmagfam
and is alot more knowlegeable about the products they offer, also 5 year warranty?
dont suggest needing to run full power dimmable for veg flower seedlings ...
1700149913417.png

1700150023534.png

Disclaimer: I am not paid or a employee of Mars Hydro. :ROFLMAO: although id gladly share their excellent products
>>>Best>ibes :huggg:

Last edited:

acespicoli

Right now I'm doing some research into Phlizon LEDs lights (which I must say looks very promising), Mars Hydro FC6500 cost €700 in my corner of the world, while Phlizon 720w cost €479.

Any case thanks for your help my friend!
If the sun was gone tomorrow from our world, how much would you pay to replace it?
Go start a go fund me..,
id send 20
and with the discount code you get let see if we can make it happen.
Mars even can make some things happen for you if you do a test grow maybe.

I tagged them see what they can do for you before you make your final.

Ca++

I couldn't find the phlobalob fd6500 ?
I found the fd6000 though. Not a hope. LM281 diodes and the biggest colour peak was blue.
1% more blue, is 0.77% less yield. How much blue do you want?
Cheap manufacturers are not spending time on what cannabis likes. Tell them the LM301H has an EVO version, and they know we want it. Because we want everything we hear. Regardless of what plant it's for.
This is why I spoke of Osram from the top. All the cheap stuffs not like Osram&Philips are selling us. As they are reading the right papers, and doing the large scale testing. The pot brands have a different approach. They make what we think we want. It's the blind leading the blind.

I like to buy cheap, but like to buy right. I always find KB make what I need. Right now, that's 3000K whites, with some 660s. As everything tested, brings us closer to the sodium lamp. Which we selected our plants under, for decades. The more energetic Blue and UV photons are damaging, and the weaker far red one's cause vegetative stretching. It's all about the red. Plotting the outcomes of everything you could possibly read, says this really quite clearly. As do the big players, outside of the home grow forums.

It's really quite the face palm moment, when this comes clear. There is nothing special about the right colours. A cheap light could mimic the truly global giants. They just don't.

acespicoli

What LED is in the Phlizon?
3 year warranty Lifetime: 50 000 Hrs

Samsung 281B LED vs​

Samsung LM301B chips​

Yeah its the hardest choice you have to make in the tent
Besides what to grow next ?

Malawi and Golden Tiger my favorites im stay tuned for those :huggg:

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Is there any reason to the difference between prices? Same wattage lights from Mars, Spider or Migro are almost double in price, so I hope you understand my concerns.

I really can't comment. It is a great product so far for me but I am only 1/2 way through my first grow with it. It came well-packaged and the fit & finish is all very professional. I crisped my plants a bit until I raised it high and dialed it down to 40% where I have left it. That's yielding 550+ ppfd at canopy (via uncalibrated Photone on phone).

HCMPA

If the sun was gone tomorrow from our world, how much would you pay to replace it?
Go start a go fund me..,
id send 20
and with the discount code you get let see if we can make it happen.
Mars even can make some things happen for you if you do a test grow maybe.

I tagged them see what they can do for you before you make your final.
Well, you and @Ca++ just stops the celestial music, why we humans are soooo attracted to celestial music?

So, with the sadly limitations that we, south Europeans have, and the fact that 281 Samsung LEDs are not so efficient/productive, looks like my options are:

- MIGRO ARAY 5X5 | 750W (€729).
- Mars Hydro Smart FC 6500-EVO, LM301H (€859.99).
- Mars Hydro Smart FC 6500 (No idea about diode model/gen), (€709.99).
- Spider Farmer SE7000 LED 730W, LM301B (€783.99)

BTW Malawi and Golden Tyger... we have things in common (y) I love Honduras x Panama and Zamaldelica as well!
Maybe I should wait to Tuesday and rethink it after some Malawi hits, I'm 15 days without consuming, so I will be really enlighten then :rasta:

HCMPA

I couldn't find the phlobalob fd6500 ?
I found the fd6000 though. Not a hope. LM281 diodes and the biggest colour peak was blue.
1% more blue, is 0.77% less yield. How much blue do you want?
Cheap manufacturers are not spending time on what cannabis likes. Tell them the LM301H has an EVO version, and they know we want it. Because we want everything we hear. Regardless of what plant it's for.
This is why I spoke of Osram from the top. All the cheap stuffs not like Osram&Philips are selling us. As they are reading the right papers, and doing the large scale testing. The pot brands have a different approach. They make what we think we want. It's the blind leading the blind.

I like to buy cheap, but like to buy right. I always find KB make what I need. Right now, that's 3000K whites, with some 660s. As everything tested, brings us closer to the sodium lamp. Which we selected our plants under, for decades. The more energetic Blue and UV photons are damaging, and the weaker far red one's cause vegetative stretching. It's all about the red. Plotting the outcomes of everything you could possibly read, says this really quite clearly. As do the big players, outside of the home grow forums.

It's really quite the face palm moment, when this comes clear. There is nothing special about the right colours. A cheap light could mimic the truly global giants. They just don't.
Can't thank you enough, that could be a great fail on my part, did't know about blue spectrum and about the spectrum of the 281 diodes.

Best regards.

Ca++

The LM281B+ is 165lm/w
The LM301B is 220lm/w

The 301 is about 3 umol
The 281 isn't listed, as it's not a grow light.

The question is, how can pot brand lights be saying the 281 is 2.9umol/w
We know the lm/w figure is all visible light. We know they make very little light we can't see. We know all this visible light counts towards ppf. So realistically, the umol figures are as far apart as the lm/w numbers. The 301 is a third better. It's only people other than samsung, claiming the 281 is as good.

The 281 has a distinct disadvantage. The 301 is a 0.2w package, and the 281 is a 0.5w package. Both get over driven, but the 281 has over 150% more heat to shift. These lights are tested the instant they are switched on, but internal package temperature is very important. Lights that are thermally challenged, see their output drop soon after switching on. After they were tested. This 2.9 figure, not being from samsung, is not telling us how hard it was being driven, or how hot it was. Making the figure of little use comparatively.

I have only heard of one side by side, and the 301 made 80% more green. It's a margin I can't begin to explain. The 281 did a gram per watt, and the 301 did 1.8g per watt. I think the test was bad, but that's huge.
We have gotten over 30g a plant in a small cuboard using the QB1000 LM281 growing 4 plants. thats just over 1g a watt while using LM301B we are getting and average 40/55g a plant using the QBS1000 LM301B which work out to just under 1.8/9g a watt

HCMPA

I really can't comment. It is a great product so far for me but I am only 1/2 way through my first grow with it. It came well-packaged and the fit & finish is all very professional. I crisped my plants a bit until I raised it high and dialed it down to 40% where I have left it. That's yielding 550+ ppfd at canopy (via uncalibrated Photone on phone).
Well, at first I have my fears, because the only detachable driver LED light from Phlizon was the FD6000 (640w), and it could be a dealbreaker to me (really IDK how much could it affect the interior tent temps) since it will be +105F degrees outside for two months easy around here.

Thanks mate!

Ca++

Can't thank you enough, that could be a great fail on my part, did't know about blue spectrum and about the spectrum of the 281 diodes.

Best regards.
The overly blue spectum is not a 281 issue. Any white LED, likely comes in different colour temperatures. The 281 could come as a 2700K if that's what they asked samsung for. They just didn't.
Pot brands like to mix 3000k and 6500k together. That is usually where relatively high (to hps) blue levels come from. Blue can be useful in veg, but is best left in veg lights. The annoyance keeps plants low. Stops leaf expansion, and thickens the leaf to protect it. It can look nice, but isn't that useful

HCMPA

The LM281B+ is 165lm/w
The LM301B is 220lm/w

The 301 is about 3 umol
The 281 isn't listed, as it's not a grow light.

The question is, how can pot brand lights be saying the 281 is 2.9umol/w
We know the lm/w figure is all visible light. We know they make very little light we can't see. We know all this visible light counts towards ppf. So realistically, the umol figures are as far apart as the lm/w numbers. The 301 is a third better. It's only people other than samsung, claiming the 281 is as good.

The 281 has a distinct disadvantage. The 301 is a 0.2w package, and the 281 is a 0.5w package. Both get over driven, but the 281 has over 150% more heat to shift. These lights are tested the instant they are switched on, but internal package temperature is very important. Lights that are thermally challenged, see their output drop soon after switching on. After they were tested. This 2.9 figure, not being from samsung, is not telling us how hard it was being driven, or how hot it was. Making the figure of little use comparatively.

I have only heard of one side by side, and the 301 made 80% more green. It's a margin I can't begin to explain. The 281 did a gram per watt, and the 301 did 1.8g per watt. I think the test was bad, but that's huge.
Seems like LM301B is my best choice, since it is cheaper and efficient, I'm looking into it.

HCMPA

The overly blue spectum is not a 281 issue. Any white LED, likely comes in different colour temperatures. The 281 could come as a 2700K if that's what they asked samsung for. They just didn't.
Pot brands like to mix 3000k and 6500k together. That is usually where relatively high (to hps) blue levels come from. Blue can be useful in veg, but is best left in veg lights. The annoyance keeps plants low. Stops leaf expansion, and thickens the leaf to protect it. It can look nice, but isn't that useful
So I know where to start looking when the veg/mon/clone tent comes.

Best regards

Latest posts

Latest posts