What's new

Led CoBs vs LED CoB, Plus: Surrounded by Blue, Red and IR

I use Deep Red, Infrared Red, Far Red, and Royal Blue for additional lighting coloration. I am not an advocate of UV LED's as they are expensive and current hungry. I find the IR helps for THC production, as well. peace.

Egoloss

If you are looking for plant updates, I have 2 other threads for that.

This is about maximizing cannabis' needs by combining CoB + monos where they provide max benefit to the canopy

The problem with combining dissimilar panels is that neither coverage nor intensity will be the same

Ideally, the spectrum and intensity across the entire canopy is the same

The idea behind this thread was to enlighten CoB only growers, who are mostly DIYers

If using CoB only certain strains (indica/hybrods) will miss out on chloro a/b bumps

Also when ringing the CoB with red/blue/ir diodes the CoB itself will be different spectrum to maximize the relationship

When doing CoB only, the grower will lean toward a warmer CoB spectrum: the opposite when ringing the CoB

Oh ok, I was under the impression there was going to be some experimentation going on. Nah. More theory. All Good.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh ok, I was under the impression there was going to be some experimentation going on. Nah. More theory. All Good.

It's not theory. Plants need a full spectrum of white light to fulfill their potential. Enhancing chloro a/b
and ir is like adding a turbo or supercharger to a high performance engine

Most DIYer are using CoBs only and getting excellent results, but, some are beginning to see the light (npi) and are adding monos to their designs. See Growmau5s new YT video.

My plan (sidetracked due to delays receiving a Amare SE 250) was to use my SE 230 full strength (older version) in one tent and the SE 250s CoB only in another

That still could come together with plants from my led hot5 tent.

I will start a new thread for it

Dion

i wanna know watts at the wall though

and yeah ive also noticed that adding 620nm to 4000k works real nice

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i wanna know watts at the wall though

and yeah ive also noticed that adding 620nm to 4000k works real nice

I think a few 420s would help as well

AFAIK, Amare model names contain actual watts.

The 230 will be in a 33 x 33 tent where the SE 250 will be in a 36 x 36 tent. Not much sq ft difference.

FYI Amare is coming out with CoB bars to fit 4ft+ tents

jikko77

going o.t., so, if you like, get someone to cancel this post.

a point you're missing, imho, are the cost.
this may be an evolution, but, and i say it again, but if it cost less than a piece of aluminum or less than a heatsink.

even the newer kit from growmau5, all nice, all clean, all perfect, does it cost less than a heatsink? if yes i can think to get some or advice for some, if it cost more ... then is up to the budget you've for the project.

i've keep checking cutter, even the passive heatsink, cost some more than a arctic.
in my case an arctic cost about 10€ shipment included, a passive heatsink is about 12-25€ + shipment (from cutter).

Koondense

Veteran
Once I was researching the market of heat dissipation materials and found a kind of copper foam.
That would be a game changer if only the price was not in "NASA" category:)

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
going o.t., so, if you like, get someone to cancel this post.

a point you're missing, imho, are the cost.
this may be an evolution, but, and i say it again, but if it cost less than a piece of aluminum or less than a heatsink.

even the newer kit from growmau5, all nice, all clean, all perfect, does it cost less than a heatsink? if yes i can think to get some or advice for some, if it cost more ... then is up to the budget you've for the project.

i've keep checking cutter, even the passive heatsink, cost some more than a arctic.
in my case an arctic cost about 10€ shipment included, a passive heatsink is about 12-25€ + shipment (from cutter).

I merely provided the information. The LED game is changing so fast, and like many things, the price will come down, eventually.

I really like Growmau5s anodized round heat sinks. Hell, I like his whole kit, but the thermal interface is a critical element to the life expectancy of the CoBs & diodes

jikko77

I merely provided the information. The LED game is changing so fast, and like many things, the price will come down, eventually.

sorry if it was write in a rude way, i didn't meant it at all.
i've appreciated the info provided, i've for real.

i'd like to say something else: during some past discussion i did said the far red or ir wheren't documented, i were wrong.
far red, as well as uv, are used for several things, to keep the things easy.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Amare still has not shipped the SE 250, but I have have one full grow with the SE 220 and am now in week 5 bloom with my newest grow

I moved her from a bubble pail to my Mini-Me F & D, which makes keeping the nutes cool, and pHed, as well as changing nutes a breeze.

It really shouldn't be that hard to appreciate what adding key spectrums to a full spectrum CoB can do. That said, it does somewhat complicate a DIY build

View attachment 365490 View attachment 365491 View attachment 365492

Dion

58266232.jpg

jikko77

lets see if growmau comparision give some result.
p.s. new video on his channel, same topic, but that's diy and not amare :p

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I did pay for the light, but what's wrong with getting use of lights for free in exchange for honest reporting? I can't fake the pictures, so... You're just jealous= loser

Why do you losers even bother?

Tracking shows light was shipped from west coast yesterday morning. I should have it by next Friday

jikko77

I'm a huge fan of Growmau's DIYs, who, unlike Dion, is not a douche

and why you are telling this to me?

you know i've translaten Dion works in my own language? one of the best on that topic.

to me he isn't ... and at least, if you say/ask something to him he actually answer ... has a great patience and will of explain stuff.

both knows their stuff.

please keep this kind of stuff away from me.
i like to joke with everyone and talk to everyone as well.
i'm there because i'm interested in led and topic like that, no personal grudge.

:huggg::thank you::tiphat:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
and why you are telling this to me?

you know i've translaten Dion works in my own language? one of the best on that topic.

to me he isn't ... and at least, if you say/ask something to him he actually answer ... has a great patience and will of explain stuff.

both knows their stuff.

please keep this kind of stuff away from me.
i like to joke with everyone and talk to everyone as well.
i'm there because i'm interested in led and topic like that, no personal grudge.

:huggg::thank you::tiphat:

My reply wasn't just for you, but you mentioned Growmau

If you looked at dions post #52 you would know why I called him a douche.

Growmaus DIY is a more elegant design/kit though dion's will work

Knowing that dion continually slanders Amare Technology's leds (with no actual experience) is why I have little regard for any knowledge he might have; it is clearly VERY basic. His post is just another example of his lack of maturity and why he should not be taken seriously

Dion

lol

love you pet

im a big d bad fur sure, especially when people try and push products its just too funny that you started this thread before even setting up the room

drops mic and walks out....

Egoloss

Its a form of entertainment. Not a very high one, but need a break from watching the plants grow sometime.

Latest posts

Latest posts