What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED and BUD QUALITY

growsjoe1

Premium user
Veteran
View attachment 18971703
HLG 135w R spec in a 2x2

Brother we have the same name and the same shit going on ... View attachment 18971839
Twins seperated at birth, glad to see the community reuniting long lost blood relatives, hahaha. Awesome job in such small space fellas.

LOL..who would have thought...two of the same name growers growing the same plants in the same space?

I had to give it some love.

Summary: "Different phenos are different, maaaan. More funding needed."

Mr Jay

Veteran
The summary is ALWAYS more funding needed :unsure:

Mr. J, I see there is a clone about. While I respect your existence, I do play by highlander rules. The victor must consume the defeated, spoons at dawn.

I think I had an advantage in the ease of adopting LED, I never got the chance to grow with HIDs. I started out with two curly CFLs hanging over a couple of bag seeds in my basement, and moved on to constructing micro-cabs using PL-L and CFL lighting. When I eventually did upgrade to tents I started using blurple LEDs thanks to needing a lower power bill. They worked and grew great bud, just not a lot of it. Fast forward a decade and the cheap and available HO LED grow lights have made HID pretty much obsolete. I'm not saying HID is not a valid and proven method, it's just nowhere near as efficient as LED is.

One of these days I'm going to grab a 250w HPS and throw it in the 2x2 tent just for shits and giggles, to say I did it. It will triple my power usage, but fun is fun. I don't even own a TV, I can justify it.

Koondense

Veteran
1710188926210.png

LndRcLvr

I'm all ready to see what I can do with the new 800watt Samsung duel spectrum skyline led, it's growing great plants & 2 weeks into flower. I know what his purple Punch mother can do with hps, I'm assured this is equivalent to 600watt hps light output. But buggar all heat. It would be nice to have no heat issues. But 720quid a light isn't that great either.
These are Afghan kush auto day 61 from germination under the skyline 1000 it pulls 480 watts from the mains. My room is a rigid insulation insulated brick bunker and with my 6 inch extractor at 20% capacity it holds very nicely around 25c
PXL_20240326_081535137.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20240326_081643899.jpg
    PXL_20240326_081643899.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20240327_085805045.jpg
    PXL_20240327_085805045.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 19

CharlesU Farley

View attachment 18979932
Does anybody of you Led crew know why I always get with leds purple leaf tips ?
I don't.

I've had purple colored buds under MH as well as LED, when the temp in the tent never got below 75°, with a guaranteed 100% version of late '90s Sensi's NL, which was never known to exhibit purple anything:

1000009694.jpg

1000008919.jpg

The thing is, colored buds are not any more potent than regular green buds are. They just look nice. Just like with smell, I'm sure it means a whole lot for those who are concerned with bag appeal, that's never been one of my concerns.

Normal leaf / plant variation really doesn't mean anything at all to me. It's the quality of the high that's important, not how it looks or smells.

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
I don't.

I've had purple colored buds under MH as well as LED, when the temp in the tent never got below 75°, with a guaranteed 100% version of late '90s Sensi's NL, which was never known to exhibit purple anything:

View attachment 18979938

View attachment 18979939

The thing is, colored buds are not any more potent than regular green buds are. They just look nice. Just like with smell, I'm sure it means a whole lot for those who are concerned with bag appeal, that's never been one of my concerns.

Normal leaf / plant variation really doesn't mean anything at all to me. It's the quality of the high that's important, not how it looks or smells.
Buds are not purple at all at this picture they are green maybe even neon green with darker leafs that made that army style green buds.
1000003402.jpg

As you can see on picture.
I'm glad you share your expirience with buds and purple colour.But Im still searching 4 the answer of question I have.
All strains are doing that ,that I run atm and I dont know why...

CharlesU Farley

Buds are not purple at all at this picture they are green maybe even neon green with darker leafs that made that army style green buds. View attachment 18979944
As you can see on picture.
I'm glad you share your expirience with buds and purple colour.But Im still searching 4 the answer of question I have.
All strains are doing that ,that I run atm and I dont know why...
I've heard so many different variables, some say genetics, others temp, others say either an excess or a deficit in K.

I just don't believe it has anything to do with LED versus MH versus HPS. Visible light is light, with varying frequencies... even outdoors, depending on dawn or dusk.

Just don't think the variation in wavelength frequency that is generated via LED versus other methods would be substantial enough to cause a change in the plants phytochromes to be visible to the human eye.

But I'm so very far from a lighting expert, I'd like to see what Rocket Soul and Prawn Connery have to say.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
View attachment 18979932
Does anybody of you Led crew know why I always get with leds purple leaf tips ?
Does this happen with every strain? I havent seen this personally but my guess would be too cold, too wet or potentially a start of P deficiency. If its a strain that doesnt do this under your HIDs id bet its temp related.

Last edited:

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
Does this happen with every strain? I havent seen this personally but my guess would be too cold, too wet or potentially a start of P deficiency.
Yes nothing of that...T range 20-25C.
Humidity is bit lower than I would like Around 35-40%.
I water every 3-4 depends on needs and dry of soil.
Yes on every strain.
Only can be what Koondense say that maybe soil around 20C is bit to cold for them.

Latest posts

Latest posts