What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED and BUD QUALITY

Ca++

I wanted to try these ceramic heat lamps. Though near IR would be absent, and even 820nm might be a bit much for such an un-energetic source
51yGEzUTQsL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Like many, mine actually glowed then went 'ping' and that was that.

I know an incandescent lamp is the ultimate far red and infrared emitter, if you want to mimic the sun. A lamp that I do use, and does have a solid effect of plant morphology. Though I only use then through transition. Where I see results. Not through bloom, which I really should of by now.

hambre

I must have a post missing. I see only one on p21. You speak of people leaving, but don't seem to understand what being welcoming is. I just see you trying to shut things down. If you don't like discussion, fine. Most of us are here for no other reason though.
Nope, I just try to elevate the subjects of discussions and make people show evidence of what they claim. Such a beggar, huh? LOL

hambre

Subjectivity is opinion, objectivity is facts. Reality exists, you can`t deny it by simply put "if`s", that is anecdotical. But, what can you do, right? It will always be the same...

Koondense

Veteran
Look at it from a quantum perspective.
It's about portions of energy, their interactions and "percieved losses". Basically that's all there is.
If we call it reflection it is quantitatively equal to "photons bouncing off" or "getting absorbed and being re-emitted with same energy in direction of geometrically expected reflection".
The reflected radiation is never 100% reflected, so we get losses. The tent's reflective material for example does not reflect IR well, so we are losing heat but keeping PAR light inside.

Cheers

Cerathule

Rather, that the matter and the photons attached to it fine tune these outgoing incident photons that are closest to the wavelengths of these molecules – coloring them a little, i mean.
in a way they do, such as specified by physics. that could a lot of things going on

Redrum92

It's a good question. There are no white photons. The white colour seems to be an illusion invented by the brain to weigh in the mixture/presence of all light colours - thus giving items a "true colour" appearance.

White light is no more an illusion than black paint- unless we are talking trippy, subjective consciousness stuff. White light is a combination of many other colors of light, much like black paint is the combination of many other colors of paint. Not sure what you mean by "true color"

Ca++

There is no white in a rainbow though. There is no such energy state. It's more like an weighting. So we can't call the promanent colour. A TV can make us perceive white with just RGB.

If a reflected photon looses energy, it's red shift.

Cerathule

There is no white in a rainbow though. There is no such energy state. It's more like an weighting. So we can't call the promanent colour. A TV can make us perceive white with just RGB.

If a reflected photon looses energy, it's red shift.
The white must be invented by the brain on perceived spots of view from which an equal amount of varying photon frequencies are registered.

The white is only virtual, a man-made-up deception, it doesn't give you a modern truth. There are no white photons, hell, there are even black photons, these outside our perception, but not a single white photon has ever existed since the universe was born

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used to grow with HPS, switched to LED about two years ago. Just from my own observations, HPS does a better job at penetrating deeper into the canopy than LED.
As for quality between the two appearance/potency wise I didn't really notice a big difference besides the HPS buds being a little more tighter.

indica193

man you had to throw in the physics stuff..
rainbows don't have white light because the white is refracted thru water droplets
muh illusions/ muh calculations based on human eyes.. sheesh
just grow the damn weed under different lights and come back and post it (like another guy did in the side-by-side forum)
stop trying to blend physics with growing plants in a room
Nasa loves leds btw
Broscience is still alive

xet

The old definition for the broscience crowd is a Luddite.

"white light like doesn't exist bro, we're all one, we are both burritos and not burritos with and without cheese, know what I mean." lol like what?

LED's save energy and increase yield and presently LED's and photosynthesis is not yet fully understood so there is still exponential room to improve yet. LED grow lights 5 years ago were 1.5umol/j, lights in 2022 are 2.9umol/j.

This first photo is the diffraction pattern of an LED light array.

This topic is so deep I can see why such shallow people want to stay in the kiddie pool and only go 2 feet deep into topics that scientists proved/disproved about the technology more than 60 years ago and the Cannabis industry proved/disproved more than 5 years ago.

There are at least 5 dozen bleeding-edge topics on LED's I could introduce here that I doubt few would even have the intellectual resources to care to follow into or even know how to analyze.

That is not a here problem though - the entire LED industry is wrought with economic hurdles yet look at how advanced it already is. NASA could melt supersonic missiles in mid-air in the 1960s with 3 lasers attached to satellites.

NASA's research from 15 years ago on photosynthesis with LED's is it's own rabbit-hole I have not seen touched at all on this entire thread and this first photo has a lot to do with what NASA is into.

LED's have an untapped potential but what can be tapped right now is amazing.

Half of the people in this thread I have on Ignore because they resort to insults instead of debate so this is merely an addendum to the point that who even knows what they are talking about regarding LED's? @led05 is at least one person I know of who definitely has a rather firm grasp on reality on this topic and who has researched enough it's painfully obvious he too realizes there is no quick way to bring someone up to speed on this topic. So the haters say well show me the proof that isn't a million trillion times better. Innovation does not happen overnight. This widening gap of knowledge and broscience will increase and ten years from now people will still be saying HPS is better than LED - basically the beavis and butthead's of modern life. For the time-being as @led05 has demonstrated a combination of LED's and HID is the sophisticated approach.

You want LED to penetrate the canopy? That is what green light does.
photo-diffraction-pattern-led-array-light-comprising-large-number-orders-obtained-thin-phase-g...jpg
" lol like what?
coherece_general.png
lightcoherence.jpg
coherent+sources+of+light-3741973569.jpeg

Ca++

man you had to throw in the physics stuff..
rainbows don't have white light because the white is refracted thru water droplets
muh illusions/ muh calculations based on human eyes.. sheesh
just grow the damn weed under different lights and come back and post it (like another guy did in the side-by-side forum)
stop trying to blend physics with growing plants in a room
Nasa loves leds btw
Broscience is still alive
Isn't bro-science where you do a grow, get some results, and think it's anything more than that?

The topic of white light came up, and the easiest way of showing a bro it doesn't exist, is the rainbow. Can you dumb it down further.

I know we all have different scientific abilities, which leaves some of us avoiding some areas of conversation as it's over or under them. I expect no less of myself. Though I do like a post to contain something useful. Posting to just say 'stop it I dont understand' is how societies stagnate. I wouldn't want your stifled new world order.

I'm on day 3 of an illness so bad I can barely send a text message. On this occasion, I'm going to add nothing. The science bits in that post have not been recognised anyway, so it's a dead end. However, it's nice to see people moving conversations along on the discussion forum. Not trying to shut discussion down

indica193

Isn't bro-science where you do a grow, get some results, and think it's anything more than that?

The topic of white light came up, and the easiest way of showing a bro it doesn't exist, is the rainbow. Can you dumb it down further.

I know we all have different scientific abilities, which leaves some of us avoiding some areas of conversation as it's over or under them. I expect no less of myself. Though I do like a post to contain something useful. Posting to just say 'stop it I dont understand' is how societies stagnate. I wouldn't want your stifled new world order.

I'm on day 3 of an illness so bad I can barely send a text message. On this occasion, I'm going to add nothing. The science bits in that post have not been recognised anyway, so it's a dead end. However, it's nice to see people moving conversations along on the discussion forum. Not trying to shut discussion down
PAR and lumens were developed around our human eyes/brains.. lights, the same
This has nothing to do with a new world order ..
Also, lights were and are being tested for about 60 years now by people more involved in science than stoners
White light exists (even if it's just our brain that perceives it) , the tech is build around it..
I repeat: you don't see white light in a rainbow because it's refracted (basic kindergarden science) ..
So, you magnificent expert , tell us: should we use hps because you believe the earth is flat ?
OR should we stick to leds, because lower wattage and no cooltube hassles ?
And yes I'll admit it: hps makes tighter, bigger buds.. it penetrates , but it also makes heat and it also heats up your electricity bill
I'm sorry that you're ill, but that has nothing to do with this conversation (neither the nwo)

Ca++

My post wasn't meant for you. You can't even read it. You are flying off in all sorts of tangents trying to get a grip on something tangible. Everything you think I said, I didn't. Everything.

I used the raindow as the most basic of tools to show light doesn't exist in that energy state, and you think I need to know how a rainbow works? I'm talking about light in a way you are now having to google. The way it matters to plants. While you are inserting your ideas I'm talking of par, because you just can't comprehend what is going on. You are fucking clueless which is fine. Challenging me though?

I'm really in disbelief. You know the flat earth society was set up by intellectuals, just to take the piss out of people like you. They would fucking love this.

The end.

GoatCheese

Veteran
@Ca++
Did you put your RH% meter right under your led light already? Shouldn’t take this long.

Did the RH% go down dramatically?