What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED and BUD QUALITY

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Critically injured and killed by a solid wall of txt. :( Poor punctuation content does not get assimilated easily and (not your fault), I personally have serious issues with it. Ty so much for trying though, because I really do appreciate the effort.

Plookerkingjon

I guarantee that I don't use Samsung LM301B /H or one for LEDs, but rather Bridgelux Thrive, Osram Oslon and special products from Seoul Semiconductor and Nichia. Anyone who wants to talk to me about quality in the final product must not use the word Samsung.
I'd be interested in learning from you about the differences between Samsung osram and the manufacturers you've mentioned

[Maschinenhaus]

I'd be interested in learning from you about the differences between Samsung osram and the manufacturers you've mentioned

You have in direct comparison Samsung and Bridgelux Thrive SMD, once the price and the far better spectrum of the Bridgelux Thrive compared to the Samsung SMD.

Especially when lamp manufacturers talk about full spectrum, the Bridgelux Thrive already deliver this almost perfectly, especially from 4,000K to 5,000K. So it is technically easier, cheaper, to integrate the areas around 730nm and in the near UV with certain SMD from Osram, Nichia or Seoul. Just as the CMH already bring this great spectrum from the house.

UV above a certain wavelength damages the plastic, it turns yellow and becomes brittle. Also the durability of certain diodes that come with the board so that the Marketig can advertise better, is very poor.

My intention was therefore, build it yourself, keep it as simple as possible and respect the role model, the sun. I prefer to growe, as mentioned with CMH in 4,200 Kelvin, so I achieve in my opinion super quality in the product and in breeding.

The LED lamp I have copied, comes from a supplier who builds for commercial plants, whether vegetables, flowers or medical cannabis appropriate lamps. For cannabis even based on the latest international research in cultivation for medical cannabis.

However, a lamp costs over 2,000 € without control and measurement technology. The lamp offers high performance and there are special features of LED that you should know.

My replica costs around 400€ with similar performance and is assembled in 1h. It offers a similar spectrum as CMH with much higher light output but as already mentioned requires special attention in the cultivation!

Plookerkingjon

Well said! You could be a Migro salesperson lol! Thank you for that information dose there because that was very informative. It's important to know these caveats when you're buying these boards and which manufacturer brings what to the table is a pretty good explanation thank you.

[Maschinenhaus]

Technically, ready lamps based on Samsung SMD are often very good, only the spectrum for cannabis is poor. So they pimp it with Far Red, Deep Red, Ultraviolet and the wildest creations come out.

The lemmings jump on it, in DIY this continues and cheer the whole thing as if it were salvation. Mc Cree is abused, Bruce Bugbee videos on Youtube and in between fat-eating stoners with red eyes who sell you garden waste, remains of dead animals as miracle soil. I deliberately exaggerate a bit because the marketing theater is transparent. The fairs of the last few years were sobering.

Every now and then a product flashes up where the enlightened grower can supply himself with good components to build a good lamp himself, this is especially true for light that hangs over aquariums. There you quickly pay 1,000 € for 100 cheapest China diodes in an aluminum frame.

This is the reference, cannabis like all other plants has adapted to it.

lichtspektrum-mittags.jpg

If you look at diagrams of Samsung based lamps you will see that this is diametrically different from the sun. A spectrum that suggests to the plant it is early morning or sunset, violent peaks at red that are sold as miracles for terpenes.

The lemmings believe it, the industry advertises and bought cheerpers and stoners make important videos on Youtoube.

Growers who rely on more uniform Bridgelux Thrive report completely different plants and terpene profiles, with CMH it is similar but there again differences are visible.

LEDs based on Bridgelux deliver good results if you know the pitfalls of the technology in cannabis cultivation, this also applies to solutions with Samsung diodes if they are properly supplemented with additional LEDs from other manufacturers and the spectrum is properly upgraded.

Quality needs a lot of experience in cultivation, the hand of the grower, the soil mixture, the genetics, the spectrum, drying and ripening are things that strongly influence the final product. Stress of the plants you notice very quickly as an experienced consumer and farmer.

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
Don't know about all that, don't have to be perfect for me as a small grower... I got BridgeLux Chips on my Mars Hydro 100w LED. 🥳 😄 It's my first LED GrowLight, had it only for a few months now, till now i'm satisfied with the results, veg and flower. :)

OT:
But i got a handful of Samsung Smartphones and Tablets and they are very good. 👌

[Maschinenhaus]

I got BridgeLux Chips on my Mars Hydro 100w LED.
Cutter Australia has boards that are extremely well populated, be it Samsung LM301B/H, Bridgelux Thrive or Seoul Semiconductor. LEDtech from Germany also has boards that can be mixed to good spectra. The Bridgelux Thrive strips currently cost 9,90€ for 500mm strips, you can't build a lamp with such a good basic spectrum cheaper.

Mars Hydro I do not know, there are very good ready-made lamps like the SANlight series, very high quality workmanship, top service, updates and powerful in bloom they are also, but not so good for the vegetation phase, but many do well with it.

With LED, the temperatures are important, ideal would be 28C ° because it can come from 29C ° with some genetics to extreme vertical growth. Also it works better with the processing of nutrients, heating mats help there as an example to promote the soil life in the pot.

But it would be better in the tent are 28C° ambient temperature because the plant registers the many light, it thinks it is high summer, it is too cool supply the microorganisms in the soil not fast enough and enough nutrients.

The middle, cyan, green is enormously important and photosynthesis does not start at 380nm and stop at 700nm, there is much happening in the near UV and near infrared where CMH score and the results are accordingly.

With LED you have more yield with less power consumption, buds are smaller and more compact, it is very complex.

Spectrum is not all that important. HPS grows great weed, so does cmh and so does plain old lm301b without anything added.

That you can grow cannabis with many light techniques we know, it's about the quality with LED.

I know what comes around with 32 x Cree CXB3590 without Far Red and without UV, I know what Vero29 High CRI COB deliver or Citizen CLU048 with Super High CRI.

But I also know why I prefer to grow with CMH!

Corpselover Fat

That you can grow cannabis with many light techniques we know, it's about the quality with LED.

I know what comes around with 32 x Cree CXB3590 without Far Red and without UV, I know what Vero29 High CRI COB deliver or Citizen CLU048 with Super High CRI.

But I also know why I prefer to grow with CMH!

Samsung

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
For emergencies i still got this(Son-T Pia Plus 250w + big heavy LuxGear Ballast ^^):

20221109_165752-01.jpeg

But electricity is very expensive now, so only for emergencies or if the winter would be unusually cold. 🥶💡🥴

I really like LED after this short time, it uses less of my grow space(HPS would need something like a cooltube for it and then the led is still flatter) and the HPS produces so much heat the LED does not. The 250w HPS would be overkill in my small 60x60x140cm grow-tent. I also very like that i can use my
LED for veg & flower like a CMH. :)

Mars Hydro I do not know, there are very good ready-made lamps like the SANlight series, very high quality workmanship, top service, updates and powerful in bloom they are also, but not so good for the vegetation phase, but many do well with it.
I can't say that till now... and like i said above i don't need a second light, can use it as a grow & flower room at the same time. Come visit my grow report, i had very good growing compact plants in the veg phase.

But again, i'm just a small amateur grower... ;)

Last edited:

[Maschinenhaus]

I wonder if the talk will become related to which parallel is better for sunlight/temps/seasons ect... :D

I don't know if it was here, anyway the really old and experienced growers talk about stress that you should avoid with cannabis.

Now the question is whether UV light causes stress in cannabis and the plant wants to protect itself and produces more sticky THC, as is the case in the high mountains, such as the Himalayas?

It is not clearly evident in the terpene profile between CMH and LED, sometimes LED leads sometimes CMH. Anyway, the old growers in Europe or USA always say, avoid stress in cannabis because you will notice it in the final product.

With my built LED I will first only test, in the summer, whether I come close to CMH or surpass them, with the quality of the seeds, pollen and weed? Electricity I will defenitiv can save if I do not have to turn up full?

exoticrobotic

Stress may negatively effect yield as the plant calls protective mechanisms rather than growth but like you said it may increase resins as part of that protective mechanism.

Look at Agarwood. It gets infected with a fungus and as a result creates a dark aromatic resin.

[Maschinenhaus]

For scapers I rebuild 2-3 lamps a week, which means I take out the old LEDs and install new ones. As a result, these have much more light and much better, more natural spectrum a.

20221031_111744.jpg

This has cost me a lot of discussion and persuasion because the aquarist scene has been similarly overrun by the industry and the trade with completely overpriced technology and accessories.

Initially, I replaced with Samsung LM301B or the predecessor, mostly from 6,500K with CRI80. Then I installed the first Bridgelux Thrive 5,000K High CRI boards with additional Royal Blue diodes. The feedback was 100% positive, many have even been able to dismantle their CO² systems, so good was the growth of the plants with these tuned lamps and the shrimp also liked it.

In the cultivation of cannabis it is similar, right now I am building a simple, solid lamp from Citizen COB with 4,000K for someone who wants exactly that simple. I don't question it, I recommend him other, better LED, but I ultimately accept the wish.

And I get rid of my COB LED that I once bought and lose no or hardly any money. Meanwhile, some COB cost only a fraction of the old price.

Who wants to build a powerful lamp, now is the best time.