What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED and BUD QUALITY

goingrey

There is s thread @ the swiss forum where people discuss the effect of the lm301 leds on trichome ripening. Some state that it's harder to get amber trichomes with them. I noticed that too but my observation was more like the trichomes turn more yellowish than amber(kingbrite 240w with extra 660's)

Reifegrad unter lm301
Interesting.

Is that a good or bad thing?

As growers we look for amber as a sign of ripeness. But really amber means dead (THC degraded to CBN).

unnamedmike

There is s thread @ the swiss forum where people discuss the effect of the lm301 leds on trichome ripening. Some state that it's harder to get amber trichomes with them. I noticed that too but my observation was more like the trichomes turn more yellowish than amber(kingbrite 240w with extra 660's)

Reifegrad unter lm301
Hi chilly! It is still bro science, and while interenting, is just the opinions of a few growers. I get amber trichomes on my plants, with my 640w CXB3590 3000k and my 120w QB lm301h 3000k+epistars red. The behavior of the plant is greatly influenced by different abiotic factors ( such as light, the sun in Mexico, the sun in France, different LEDs, hps, etc) In my case, and that of many other growers, we needed a learning curve to grow on LEDs, I think that is the case of people who still have problems growing on LEDs, they try to grow as if it were HPS, plants selected under hps.

Last edited:

unnamedmike

I was always waiting untill some head turned amber because i got the best effect from that. I didn't noticed a differenc in high with the led buds just the colour of the ripe heads.
This is interesting. I do get amber trichomes. I havnt noticed if it is in all my varieties, but without a doubt I see amber trichomes with the lights that I said before + the parameters of my room. Out of curiosity, what leds do you use? Thanks

X15

I'd like to hear that as well. I switched from almost 2 decades of HPS to LEDs the last few years. My flowers are still amaaazing as always. :) Then again, I am still growing at 65F to 70F at around 20% RH. ;)

Terp production (and more importantly retention) is just awesome. When you have flowers from a terrible run, that have been over dry and sitting around for months, and it STILL has more flavor (on the last hit in the bowl lololol) than the first hit of the better dispensary weed around, you know your terps are at least 'ok.' lololol
That temp and humidity work for me with my LEDs too. Seasonal

snakedope

Hi chilly! It is still bro science, and while interenting, is just the opinions of a few growers. I get amber trichomes on my plants, with my 640w CXB3590 3000k and my 120w QB lm301h 3000k+epistars red. The behavior of the plant is greatly influenced by different abiotic factors ( such as light, the sun in Mexico, the sun in France, different LEDs, hps, etc) In my case, and that of many other growers, we needed a learning curve to grow on LEDs, I think that is the case of people who still have problems growing on LEDs, they try to grow as if it were HPS, plants selected under hps.

Is there a secret way to grow under LEDs that no HID guy knows about ?
Are we missing something ? Who does know how to grow with LEDs at all ? the mfg ?
If you need a learning curve to adjust to a product that claims is superior to any other that to me is a red flag and Bro Science excuse at best, same as "Too much light" concept.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
This is interesting. I do get amber trichomes. I havnt noticed if it is in all my varieties, but without a doubt I see amber trichomes with the lights that I said before + the parameters of my room. Out of curiosity, what leds do you use? Thanks
I use kingbrite 240w with 72 cree 660.
Sorry for not stating that clear but i get some amber heads too. But it starts with yellowing and most stay that colour.

AlphaCentaury78

Cosmonauta cannabico 🚀
Also for me under Led the flowers they have less amber trichomes and sometimes even nothing but this also depends on the strain and the lower heat of the led on the flowers and different light spectrum compared to the hps.
In fact, to see if the flowers are ripe I always check the pistils and I always have a more sedative effect as I like it.
With hps you have higher yields but personally of lower quality compared to Led.
With Leds the weed’s quality is great. Much more aroma, terpenes and the consistent buds.

Ca++

Is there a secret way to grow under LEDs that no HID guy knows about ?
Are we missing something ? Who does know how to grow with LEDs at all ? the mfg ?
If you need a learning curve to adjust to a product that claims is superior to any other that to me is a red flag and Bro Science excuse at best, same as "Too much light" concept.
There was a learning curve when you switched to HID. Another going outdoors. Another with LED. Don't you want a grow under LED to be different? If not, should it be like indoor or outdoor. Most of us wanted something different.

I think the situation in the states regarding poor gear, times in not only with LEDs but also legalisation. Legalisation driving product weight at the lowest production cost. That seems more likely to be lowering quality. The love has gone. Nobody is saying 2 more weeks.. 2 more weeks..

Not all plants amber the same way. It was just a rough guide, telling us that while production is still ongoing, some is so old it's decomposing. There is a balancing point where de-composure eventually exceeds production. One that physical observation can identify, if you know your plants. It's like your apples turning red. They don't all do it, but it's a good sign they taste right. While some are red much sooner. Yet we have this idea of them turning red.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Meh... science says the most fragile monoterpenes begin vaping off at 70F. Science also says the more complex terpenes and cannabinoids are built from/on these monoterpenes.

My experience says higher than 20%'ish RH grows much lower quality cannabis, hps/led mskes no difference.

Take it or leave it, and I have yet to come across anything which comes close. Except the one source of eye opening, epiphany level quality. lol

Ca++

If they start to leave at 70, then below 70, it wouldn't smell.

I don't actually know what 70 is. Weather guys use it in winter to make us feel warmer though. Kinda bedroom temperature?

I once moved a plant out, into my bathroom. It was about 2 weeks in. I chucked water in as I noticed it hanging, but it was never lit. It grew a few grams, but with the support of it being a big plant for that weight. It was white-death levels of strong.
If we look at many of the real strong plants, they grow big but are not commercially viable as they produce little weight.
There is a theme here.

Cerathule

Three Berries

I noticed my oldest girl's trics are starting to turn amber under my 300w LED with a 50w temperature controlled booster LED, in ~83F temps at 72% RH.. Just about time to pick. I was surprised due to the abuse and still putting out white hairs.

xet

The ghost of 2007 Christmas past is really here saying nothing will replace HPS.

People win flower competitions with LED buds.

The idea that LED's are bunk is like the new Chess player saying the Catalan does not work while the World Champion runs the Catalan all day; or arguing with a doorknob.

Are we being trolled because if this is not a sophisticated troll then wow people really think LED is bunk, lol, good for them, I will be sure and write NASA for them to tell them koolStoner420 said LED cannot grow superior plants.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My STARDAWG MANNY TOPDAWG led flower and trichshot coming to the end of there lives from a previous grow link if want to look.:tiphat:

picture (1).jpg
picture (2).jpg
picture.jpg

Last edited:

snakedope

The ghost of 2007 Christmas past is really here saying nothing will replace HPS.

People win flower competitions with LED buds.

The idea that LED's are bunk is like the new Chess player saying the Catalan does not work while the World Champion runs the Catalan all day; or arguing with a doorknob.

Are we being trolled because if this is not a sophisticated troll then wow people really think LED is bunk, lol, good for them, I will be sure and write NASA for them to tell them koolStoner420 said LED cannot grow superior plants.

Who won competitions with LED flowers ?
Tell NASA they can stop lying first about 99.9% of what they say then we can talk further about your "Never A Straight Answer" organization that u glorify so much.
"Ahhhh id go to the moon in a sec, but ahhh we lost that technology" :D :D :D
Fuck NASA, never believe a word they say.

You are not being trolled, im sorry to say that 90-95% of LED flowers are shit and i will prove it more by putting more pics of LED grows from this forum.
If you get HPS results under your LED you must be doing something very right, something that most LED growers don't know about, as their flowers look, taste and effect like horse shit

If you read the comments here i never said that HID grows superior plants to LED, i said the complete opposite, LED will grow better plants, its a no brainer, in growing you need the spectrum of LED.
I was talking about growing trichomes to their full size and glue,
Trichomes are not plants, they dont require red or blue or green, in fact, no one knows what they need exactly, but the differences between HPS and LED is spectrum and intensity, 50 years of lacking good spectrum grew the dankest shit ever, (according to the op, and well, everyone that has eyes to see)
So....... again, FUCK NASA, reality proves that you need intensity more then spectrum for trichome production, LED dont have intensity, not now, maybe in the future (i doubt it)

Most of LED trichomes are under developed, most people just get stalks, if you get some trichome heads under LED, they are still not enough developed, and its not about clear or amber, it about the size of them and the glue they produce.

Its not my personal experience, its everywhere, i paid yesterday 30 usd again for a gram here of Peaches & Cream (dont remember the breeder, maybe Exotic), i saw the entire grow process of this seller, i knew it was shit just from looking at his diary on telegram pics, but im stuck until my 400x3 HIDs finish my current grow ;)
Surprise ! it was shit, not worth 1 usd... i will take a pic of it later.
I have a medical licence, and the med weed cost me 9-10 usd per gram, and is the ultimate low quality here, but it looks like hobby growers with LED panels have broken the low quality record with their bud around here so going back to shitty med weed for now, its the same like the hobby growers around here, even less quality, but atleast it cost 9-10 usd and not 30 :mad:

Everyone is using LEDs, and they sell for 30usd per gram (the hobby growers), according to this situation in my country, i do believe in all my heart that my finished HID flowers will sell for over 50usd per gram :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

snakedope

So how does the LED make the trichs not have heads? Is it from the absence of heat? Spectral composition? Or too much light output?
It's the first time I read such a hypothesis

Spectral composition it cant be, LEDs have prob the best spectrum out there.
Too much light.. same like flushing, just a myth to try and make LEDs great, we all know that this concept of too much light is bro science at best.

No bulb can ever reach the sun, and i dont see plants outside complain about too much light haha do you ? :D

Im sorry friend, its not hypothesis, its the real world, go check out some LED grows, then check HID grows, look carefully, as its very hard and confusing sometimes, you think you see a killer LED flower, then you take off your OBEY glasses and see it for what it is, a flower full of leaves and trichome stalks.

Latest posts

Latest posts