What's new

LED and BUD QUALITY

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
I like long-flowering plants because one of the desirable traits that hasn't been mentioned so far is quality of high.

THC numbers don't tell you the quality of high.

Sometimes I prefer to be knocked out and relaxed, and sometimes I prefer to tick along with a nice, clean head-high so that I can get shit done.

Any strain that makes me paranoid or anxious – no matter how strong – gets turfed out of my garden.

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
sorry for my ignorance, and off topic question, but to make extracts, isn t better to use a hashplant type cultivar, with all over resin production, and not to focus on calyxes?

wire-2024-02-26-at-06-32-47-jpg.18965112
wire-2024-02-26-at-06-32-44-jpg.18965111

wire-2024-02-26-at-06-32-41-jpg.18965113
7-BED1-F9-F-72-C2-4-A7-A-973-D-1-FD81-FC8-B69-A.jpg

Why grow something like that when you can have FOXTAILS!?!
😆
Thought I had heard it all but hey..........now I know I been fucking it up all these years.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
It goes full circle from wading thru the dogshit, to pure gold, back to wading..back to gold, meanders off topic and goes back to wading LOL..... For extracts why not foxtails haha the 2 dimensional matrix not better for extraction? I mean hash plants have never been known for a favourable bud to leaf ratio, leaf easier to extract off than a solid flower, though the resin production be high.. My deep chunks I always look for something with very little bud leaf to cross it with, as its got lots of leaf, but more resin than most..and back to the LED show...LOL

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
LOL my landrace affies that I've grown are always frosted as F, though like hairy cabbages, peel away the layers of resin and leaf to show the bud below...actually...the buds end up nugs of rock hard resin and calyx, so yeah maybe my memory of them just skewed as just so much leaf...but my is that leaf oh so frosted...modern incarnations are bred for bag appeal so few generations of crossing and selection for those easy to trim look good nugs..though the frost coverage retained..but for hash making, who cares...yield of resin is what matters. I've had frosted as F strains, just yield shocking resin yields due to its matrix and gland structure..and some not as great looking stuff that bangs resin yield LOL..

1709151450319.png

This off the web..my hash plants did not look unlike this.. LOL..but yeah this the LED and bud quality thread...so let me sign off here with the hash plants!

weedemart

Oh boy yeah those numbers dont make sense with my experiment. We did a completely different test. I tested how much each block of the same size from grodan weighed at full saturation. Basically to find out which block would drain the most and hold the least amount of water for a superior oxygen rich environment. I learned my lesson with too hard of drybacks for sure. Anyway, were off base here, back to Leds.

Just filled the lab back up…..

View attachment 18965656 View attachment 18965657 View attachment 18965658 View attachment 18965659 View attachment 18965660 View attachment 18965661
You could gain a lot from a conversion to drain to waste with 6x6x6 cube. You can yield easily up 90gr per plants and I think you could save on rockwool and nutrients.Or you can go 6x6x4 on top of a uni-slab and get above 180gr/plant.

Your led looks interesting. no uv no ir?

weedemart

I prefer the high calyx to leaf types. Leafy plants of bad foxtailing don't stay long. When dry all the ends up as shake in the bag. If you are extracting it doesn't matter.

Hashplants.
View attachment 18966341
View attachment 18966343
View attachment 18966344
I agree with you but you could yield more extract with a genetics that show less visual resin. If you talk about hashplants... the purpose it to make extract. Would you prefer tumble very nice buds that yield poorly or foxtailing buds that yield huge amount of trichomes mass. Because in term of extract , the potency is so high already people dont care about the % potency difference, they care about price.

Theres a demand for hashplant. Why? Because outdoor producers like thems. They turn their entire crops in extracts and not only they yield more, they require less maintenance and process. At the end , they make more profit than most business with nothing except few acre of soil.

Last edited:

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You could gain a lot from a conversion to drain to waste with 6x6x6 cube. You can yield easily up 90gr per plants and I think you could save on rockwool and nutrients.Or you can go 6x6x4 on top of a uni-slab and get above 180gr/plant.

Your led looks interesting. no uv no ir?
Buddy, im hitting over half a lb per plant some of the time, were good there. Each 4x8.5 ft bench is putting out 5lbs. From 12 plants so you can do the math there. We did up it this round to 18 plants per bench so well see. Not really concerned with per plant numbers as much as g per square foot. They lights are agrobar 720s and they embarrass any lights weve used in the past but take getting used to. Theyve produced the best morphology weve seed under led.

Ca++

sorry for my ignorance, and off topic question, but to make extracts, isn t better to use a hashplant type cultivar, with all over resin production, and not to focus on calyxes?

wire-2024-02-26-at-06-32-47-jpg.18965112
What is wrong with that plant?
My Cookies Kush first went that way, and had to be chucked. Now my Killer Kush does it more often than not. I have not quite reached this extreme with my KK, but the Cookies did. My roses has the trait coming. Something I have had the longest shows no signs though, and nor does a similar age Critical Kush.
I have done everything to find the problem. The first few weeks are fine, then week 4 it's showing. The Cookies looked like this by 5 weeks. Browned off and no linking up. Just small but hard buds, that were okay to smoke, but where is the rest.

I presume these are also stalled from about week 5 or 6. I can get pics now, that will be like this soon. It's gotta go in the blender.

I hear a number of commercial ops are getting mums up from seed, taking their cuts, and just running it that once. No selection, just from the seeds. The idea is that keeping a mum any length of time, just increases viral load. They can select that best one, but the vigour fades anyway. So instead, the mums are up, used, and replaced.
It seems an odd thing to do imo. I'm sure I could do a quick selection, and run the best for a year or so. It's what I'm reading though.

I'm pissed really. I have never had to clean out shop, but I have battled this too long.

weedemart

My Cookies Kush first went that way, and had to be chucked. Now my Killer Kush does it more often than not. I have not quite reached this extreme with my KK, but the Cookies did. My roses has the trait coming. Something I have had the longest shows no signs though, and nor does a similar age Critical Kush.
I have done everything to find the problem. The first few weeks are fine, then week 4 it's showing. The Cookies looked like this by 5 weeks. Browned off and no linking up. Just small but hard buds, that were okay to smoke, but where is the rest.

I presume these are also stalled from about week 5 or 6. I can get pics now, that will be like this soon. It's gotta go in the blender.

I hear a number of commercial ops are getting mums up from seed, taking their cuts, and just running it that once. No selection, just from the seeds. The idea is that keeping a mum any length of time, just increases viral load. They can select that best one, but the vigour fades anyway. So instead, the mums are up, used, and replaced.
It seems an odd thing to do imo. I'm sure I could do a quick selection, and run the best for a year or so. It's what I'm reading though.

I'm pissed really. I have never had to clean out shop, but I have battled this too long.
LOL. Yes I was pretty surprised when they asked me how much time I hold my moms. I said theres no limit. and they told me they only hold their moms 6 month. every 6 month they wipe their entire room of moms ,all trees and they restart from clone

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree with you but you could yield more extract with a genetics that show less visual resin. If you talk about hashplants... the purpose it to make extract. Would you prefer tumble very nice buds that yield poorly or foxtailing buds that yield huge amount of trichomes mass. Because in term of extract , the potency is so high already people dont care about the % potency difference, they care about price.

Theres a demand for hashplant. Why? Because outdoor producers like thems. They turn their entire crops in extracts and not only they yield more, they require less maintenance and process. At the end , they make more profit than most business with nothing except few acre of soil.
I don't make extracts. I grow Flowers for medical needs. Anything with a lot of leaves is an undesirable trait for me.. Those plants were not kept. Cannabis for me is personal. What I make and like is based on experience, not #S. It's not about how frosty the plant is. THC % is a sham imo. I'll stay with the chemotypes over all else. I still hate foxtails lol.
The correct term is bract, not calyx
You are correct. It's a term we used for 60 years. The Bract and Calyx are part of the same part of the plant. Most people understand what we are talking about.

Arguably, some of the most misused terms in cannabis plant morphology are “calyx” and “bract.” While both of these structures protect the female plant’s seed production site (the ovule), they aren’t the same thing.

When many cultivators mention the calyx, they are talking about the tiny, tear-shaped leaf that covers the ovule, which is actually the perigonal bract. Perigonal bracts are one of the most valuable parts of a marijuana plant because they produce a dense layer of stalked glandular trichomes.

While you could easily see bracts at the lower part of your plant’s colas, it’s actually impossible to see the calyx cells with the naked eye. These tiny protective structures also cover the female marijuana plant’s seed pod.

weedemart

Buddy, im hitting over half a lb per plant some of the time, were good there. Each 4x8.5 ft bench is putting out 5lbs. From 12 plants so you can do the math there. We did up it this round to 18 plants per bench so well see. Not really concerned with per plant numbers as much as g per square foot. They lights are agrobar 720s and they embarrass any lights weve used in the past but take getting used to. Theyve produced the best morphology weve seed under led.
I like your setup very good choice for the led panel imo. very clean.

But I promise if you take time to do the drain to waste conversion you will gain a lot in yield, quality and you will save on your inputs too.

Ebb flow is far from optimum rootzone environnement. Rockwool is designed to be irrigate from top to bottom. and since they share all the same rootzone environnement, disease and pathogene spread quickly.

But thats my observation. your number looks great.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran

Read back at my posts in here...you got some viral/viroid shit U'r dealing with...who knows which but one or two very common.

Latest posts

Latest posts