What's new

LED advice in a smaller tent

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Hello fellow growers!
After doing some grows under a 250w HPS that will be in neeed of a replacement, I've started to get more interested in LED lights.

The tent I am growing in is a Homelab 80 (80x80x180cm) or 31inch*31inch*70 inch (I hope its correct, I dont use the imperial system lol).

Right now I have been looking at the Mars Hydro FC3000 and Spider Farmer SF1000 (these 2 are just the ones I found after checking all the stores in my country, but I'm open to suggestions of course).

Budget wise I'm looking for something up to 300 euro range.

My goals are getting harder and denser buds (my temp are between 22c and 25c during lights on, strains I grow are mostly indicas).

Kind regards and happy growing!

You will like FC3000 a lot. :D
Exploziv made a nice diary here: https://www.icmag.com/forum/icmag-v...gends-cookies-mandarine-auto-under-m-h-fc3000

aliceklar

I've used a couple of spider farmer sf1000s in a space with a 110 x 90cm footprint. They are well built lights and have done me very nicely. Although I also hear good things about the Mars Hydro lights...

schnapp187

GoatCheese

Veteran
Hi thanks, after looking a bit further into the LED lights I think I'm 90% set on the FC3000. What w HPS is it comparable to? And also how do I go about setting the light intensity on the dimmer in veg and flower? I know each plant has different needs but maybe just a rough average estimate?

Kind regards

The distance between the light and canopy depends on your growing style; you can have the light closer to the canopy if you’re coco/hydro grower vs. soil grower, because in hydro/coco growing there’s more water in the plant tissue, so they can take the heat radiation from leds much better.

Modern leds are quite intense and they will dehydrate the plant tissue if you keep the lights too close or you’re running them with too much wattage. You can keep the lights closer to your plants during warm-humid seasons compared to winter time when the air is quite dry, unless you have a enviro controlled room thru out the whole year, that is.

Some genetics can handle leds much better than others so you have to dial your lights according to what strains you’re growing.

I’m a soil grower and with full power i’d imagine you need to have atleast 60-75+ cm to the canopy with a 300 watt led light depending on the enviromental factors (temps, humidity, air movement). Hydro growers might be able to keep their leds something like 20-30cm closer to the plants compared to soil growers.

I use Cree cobs myself for flowering and have Samsung strip lights only for veg and blooming males in a small cab so i’m not very familiar with these kinds of lights as main flowering lights. There are people using MH 300 watt lights around here so maybe use the search function and pay a visit to their threads and ask for advice.
Led light companies like Mars Hydro seem to know shit about how to use their lights; they recommend keeping their lights way closer to the plants than you actually can in real life, so it’s better to ask real growers for advice.

What ever your growing style is, Cal-mag (some people also use epsom salts) will help to keep leaves in better shape under modern leds. During cold –dry season i use 0,5ml/L of Canna cal-mag (maybe some epsoms 1-2 times a month)but i can drop the amount abit during summer when there’s more humidity in the air.

What ever type of white led lights you’re using your plants will show symptoms quite fast if the lights are too much for them; in just 5-10 minutes so it won’t take long. The leaves will start feeling dry in your fingers and their edges start curling down. The leaves even start pointing downwards when the leds are running way too hot for them. And if this goes on for too long they will start loosing their waxy shine and start going pale/yellow.
..but the first signs of the leds being too much for them is that they will start feeling abit dry in your fingers, then you know that is time to turn the power down abit or raise the light higher.

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Hi thanks, after looking a bit further into the LED lights I think I'm 90% set on the FC3000. What w HPS is it comparable to? And also how do I go about setting the light intensity on the dimmer in veg and flower? I know each plant has different needs but maybe just a rough average estimate?

Kind regards

FC3000 can replace 400W HPS light. the intensity is like this generally. seedling: 25%, veg: 50%, early flower: 75%, middle flower, 100%.

Here are some blogs you might be interested in: https://www.mars-hydro.com/info/2

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
HLG are alright, in that they use quality ballasts and LED's. However they are no champions of value. They put 0.6w through 0.2w chips, as do many suppliers. They are late adopters as new LEDs are developed. Yet were very quick to move from a proper heatsink to a flat slab. Since the growers focus shifted from QB to bars, we really don't hear their name anymore. They were a good choice for people that liked to think they were buying American stuff, when the market was emerging and HLG was there getting stuff out to people. Now everybody is making lights and competition is stiff, they have no unique selling points that people are talking about. China can have stuff delivered almost anywhere within the week. There is no need to pay someone for holding local stock.

This forum is well catered for by Mars Hydro. They have a representative here almost every day. I feel we have told them what we want, and they have made it. Right now they have a giveaway running, in return for our thoughts on their companies direction. They give us what we want, at a price we like. HLG lights can grow just as good a bud. Probably identical. Delivered about as fast as Mars hold stocks globally. The difference though, is price.

Mars also fund the forum with advertising revenue. So it is buying from within the local community. Roughly speaking.