What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LEARNED BEHAVIOUR?

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran

St. Phatty

What if we required all posts to be rap

full of flap, ready to trap, & Map Your Crap !

There's an App for that.

I'm preparing for open mike night.

I know, don't quit my day job.

Rap language is DEFINITELY fvcking learned behavior.

can you imagine doing a business meeting tomorrow entirely in rap ?

I don't know if I'll try any more, but I admire the young people that sing with Rap.

I think Rap is a form of creative rebellion towards Whitey SAT's and other Whitey measures of accomplishments.

Brother Nature

You need ta diversify ya bonds...

You need ta diversify ya bonds...

:laughing:

Here ya go Phatty!!

[youtubeif]zhUnEg0he4A[/youtubeif]

T

Teddybrae

I wrote in reply to yours yesterday but was stoned and forgot to post what seemed at the time to be a magnificent piece of literature! So here goes once more …

Thanks for replying to this thread. Thanks also for speaking from your personal knowledge base and for not citing web pages.

I did not know that Cultural Relativism was a thing!

Yes, I think also: A convergence of the two. Reptillian, Mammalian and then there seems to me to be a Human need to be Wise. Volition.

Thinking about the things you say … I wonder … where are you coming from? I have no academic qualifications at all to rest on. Beyond the occasional quote my words are not propped up by pieces of paper from a Scientific institution. The things I say are observable rather than esoteric. (Please tell me if I 'm wrong.)

Are the things you say your own thoughts … or are they institutional mimicry? I mean you no ill will but Men commonly gather things around them then say this is all mine … this is what I am. (I burned all my qualifications and am that I am.)

I see your point re Fact and Fictional sources. Ironic indeed for a Taoist like myself. Ironic however only if science, fact, empiricism is one’s guiding paradigm … one’s rock! Like a Church. For me the ideas implied by Castaneda are timeless (we are not going anywhere, we are always here) so they are relevant.

And I would like to know what you think of them. And you. And you, fellow members.

Please don't Trivialise or Generalise what I say. To do so makes a parody of Scientific method.

So what are we then? Missionaries for the Church of Reason who must avoid or deny or project obstacles into common understanding and so make that understanding something else entirely?

Something that is somehow unworthy ... when it is simply unusual.

Ooroo!

No, friend. Tabula Rasa, from the Latin, translates loosely to “blank slate”, pert near the opposite of ‘a priori’, even though that ability is, arguably but not necessarily, an innate function of the human condition. In other words, a priori is not synonymous with innate, i.e., nature.

Apologies if what I posted came off as offensive. That wasn’t my intent. But you spoke of behavior as learned. (Citing a fictional work as evidence, I wish to add.) I only meant to point out that behavioral aspects of our existence are not so clearly defined as simply learned. The distinction drawn, is clearly one of Nature vs. Nurture - what other options are there? Outside a convergence of the two?

It was mentioned by Brother Nature, and now by you, that the original discussion focused around ethics. Ethical behavior. I gather now that I don’t have full context - since I didn’t read the other discussion - and shouldn’t have opened my mouth since I was basing my reply off your opening post, which spoke of relational behaviorism. My confusion. And my apologies.

So I take it you’re a cultural relativist. :tiphat:

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
I wrote in reply to yours yesterday but was stoned and forgot to post what seemed at the time to be a magnificent piece of literature! So here goes once more …

Thanks for replying to this thread. Thanks also for speaking from your personal knowledge base and for not citing web pages.

I did not know that Cultural Relativism was a thing!

Yes, I think also: A convergence of the two. Reptillian, Mammalian and then there seems to me to be a Human need to be Wise. Volition.

Thinking about the things you say … I wonder … where are you coming from? I have no academic qualifications at all to rest on. Beyond the occasional quote my words are not propped up by pieces of paper from a Scientific institution. The things I say are observable rather than esoteric. (Please tell me if I 'm wrong.)

Are the things you say your own thoughts … or are they institutional mimicry? I mean you no ill will but Men commonly gather things around them then say this is all mine … this is what I am. (I burned all my qualifications and am that I am.)

I see your point re Fact and Fictional sources. Ironic indeed for a Taoist like myself. Ironic however only if science, fact, empiricism is one’s guiding paradigm … one’s rock! Like a Church. For me the ideas implied by Castaneda are timeless (we are not going anywhere, we are always here) so they are relevant.

And I would like to know what you think of them. And you. And you, fellow members.

Please don't Trivialise or Generalise what I say. To do so makes a parody of Scientific method.

So what are we then? Missionaries for the Church of Reason who must avoid or deny or project obstacles into common understanding and so make that understanding something else entirely?

Something that is somehow unworthy ... when it is simply unusual.

Ooroo!

Reading what you’ve written, I am reminded of Loren Eiseley’s books. They are all great and it’s been many years since having read them, but I think you’d enjoy “The Immense Journey” and “The Firmament of Time.” (If you like to read) His autobiography, “All the Strange Hours”, is one of my all-time favorite reads. He was an outstanding writer (and thinker), who just happened to be an anthropologist. In his writings you’ll find connection with your Reptilian/Mammalian parallel. Give the first one a shot, if you are then so compelled, read the second. If they speak to you, check out the rest.

Not sure what you’re asking here. If by qualifications and where I am coming from you mean formal education, I have one. But fundamentally I am a seeker of meaning (and Truth; to a lesser extent). Meaning to all the relevant—and non-relevant—aspects of this world we all find ourselves thrown into. And while I embrace science, I am more likely to side with a Nietzschean, or better yet, Heideggarian skepticism of science’s ability to offer any definitive answer to the human condition. Science always happens in a historical context. And is (nearly) continuously overturned, given enough time. As Kuhn informed us in, “The Structure of Scientific Revolutions.”

I may be way off, but I think you’d enjoy the documentary “Being-in-the-world.” (Because I sense you're a seeker too). My use of it for my online persona here is not an allusion to the documentary, but rather to Heidegger and his use of ‘Dasein’, the two of which, for the most part, are interchangeable terms - but it’s a decent documentary nonetheless. An explanation of a philosophy that overturned thousands of years of thinking; and belief.

A Taoist, eh? Please understand I mean no ill will when I say the following :) : my academic life suffered when I took a course in Asian Philosophy. So much mixing and twisting of language and metaphorical incorporations that I was befuddled beyond belief. Nothing there I could really wrap my mind around, and make sense of. Contradictory and nonsensical. But then such was also the case with the Philosophy of Religion. Concepts and use of language all too far removed from logical positivism and, in general, analytic philosophy; which I was immersed in at the time. As mentioned, I struggle to make sense and meaning of all that I come across. It’s an ingrained part of my personality. The older I get though, the more I appreciate the point you’re making. And even back then, I gave those concepts a fair shake, blaming my befuddlement on a likely breakdown in translation.

Because when it's all tallied, language is the tie that binds us as humans, apart from other mammals, it's unique to us. And Wittgenstein showed us its limits for explanation.

The ability to observe need not be independent of the esoteric.

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent." :tiphat:

T

Teddybrae

Oh very good!

Taoism by way of the Book of Changes since I was an 18 year old. No formal study in this regard. Under my Username you will see: Irresponsible Hermit. This is what the Confucians called Taoists. And Taoism links to Zen as Buddism moved east.

Thank you for the references I will look into them.

I am about to ponder your Avatar. You will hear from me elsewhere. thanks again!

Last edited:

Gry

Veteran
Casteneda's 'foul attempt' was presenting fiction as scientific fact for the purpose of earning his Master's degree, a major fraud though not unheard of in the academic world, lots of stuff from back then seems to be invented BS that no one has ever been able to verify or replicate.:tiphat:

Interesting that enough ill will was generated by or towards him that it still exudes.
May be mistaken, but find it difficult to believe anyone expected him to become a crow and to fly upon receipt of a degree.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day G

The down side from my point of view is the poor bastards who tried Datura aka Jimson weed .
Lots ended up in padded cells and or permanently damaged .
Shrooms and Peyote I advocate . Datura - stay the fck away from it !

Thanks for sharin

EB .

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What if we required all posts to be rap

full of flap, ready to trap, & Map Your Crap !

There's an App for that.

I'm preparing for open mike night.

I know, don't quit my day job.

Rap language is DEFINITELY fvcking learned behavior.

can you imagine doing a business meeting tomorrow entirely in rap ?

I don't know if I'll try any more, but I admire the young people that sing with Rap.

I think Rap is a form of creative rebellion towards Whitey SAT's and other Whitey measures of accomplishments.

Is this true of the white rappers as well?

St. Phatty

Is this true of the white rappers as well?

Not sure I'm the person to ask, other than to note that rapping is tiring, but I'm still dealing with a tooth-sinus infection, so that might make the thinking associated with the rapping more difficult.

I had an office-mate who used to like to say, "Rap is Crap", but I never got a chance to hear him admit that his slogan was itself, mini-rap-ish.

I think young people should be allowed to use Rap as an alternative to high scores on the Verbal SAT, to help them get into the schools they want. Let them Rap for the college admissions people. Probably some of them already do.

Latest posts

Latest posts