What's new

Lazyman's 16KW Headbanger

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
I also absolutely LOVE how we're all so critical of ourselves when everyone else who tastes the wares are beside themselves with the finished product. :laughing:
The difference between the Chef and the customer.
Always felt that way in the kitchen, this in my new kitchen.

dtfsux

I would like to see what kind of yields you got with the lights on longer or the whole time.

Not sure if 6 hour cycles would work. I have heard that plants cant use all the light energy all the time, and thats why light movers are so effective. I am thinking 6 hour cycles would deprive the plant for too long.

I wonder if shorter periods like every hour would work better?

Not knocking, just random thoughts.

I do think you could do better on the yields. I always got 1.5# per 1000 or better. And I think you are a better grower, I just kind of stumbled along :) You certainly seem to know your shit. I know it could be the strain as well. Not knocking you man, just constructive criticism.

Whether for meds, co-op, or just straight profit, you obviously want to maximize yields

B

bipotato

I think short periods like 1 hour would kill the bulb quickly, and if you don't over-lap by several minutes for full brightness, you'll be losing out.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I would like to see what kind of yields you got with the lights on longer or the whole time.

Yep me too, though I don't think I have sufficient cooling to do so with air cooling, and with AC I'd need a pair of 3-ton splits. Ouch! I am trying to get the room up to 20KW this summer too, so gotta plan for that in my math.

Not sure if 6 hour cycles would work. I have heard that plants cant use all the light energy all the time, and thats why light movers are so effective. I am thinking 6 hour cycles would deprive the plant for too long.

I wonder if shorter periods like every hour would work better?

Yeah I considered that too, yep 6 hours of intense light and 6 hours of dim light is what a plant can actually utilize in a day, but I also worry like Bipotato that the 1-hr cycles will be a bit too much wear and tear.

Not knocking, just random thoughts.

I do think you could do better on the yields. I always got 1.5# per 1000 or better. And I think you are a better grower, I just kind of stumbled along :) You certainly seem to know your shit. I know it could be the strain as well. Not knocking you man, just constructive criticism.

Whether for meds, co-op, or just straight profit, you obviously want to maximize yields

Nope it's all good man, just remember that whatever harvest I get this round is off 4 lights technically, not 8, so even 6# is pretty decent considering. ;) I always try to give my rooms more potential than I myself possess, so I know me or the genetics is the limiting factor. hehe

dtfsux

I too wondered if one hour cycles was going to be hard on the equipment.

And your point about 4 lights is noted, never looked at it like that.

FireOrchid

Cool thread Lazy.On the light mover tip Ive found that movers decrease yield no matter how much "usable light" is recommended I like the girls lit up full time.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Yeah I had a circular one once, and have set up a couple linears for patients. They just piss me off more than anything. I was just looking at some cheap split ac's, I am thinking about doing a 5 ton for flower and a 3 for veg unless I can find a cheap big-ass chiller!

FireOrchid

Yeah I mean the whole flipping action is cool reducing bullshit setup but for yield I really do think that full time light is essential of course thats strain dependent digging the show. Ive run bare bulbs and love it but for heat reduction Ive gotta use the cool tubes

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Yep I think some more plant mass in each girl, some supercropping and more light wouldn't hurt, but I'm trying to reserve judgement until I weigh up. Probably a few more days.

Amazing grow. I am in complete awe.

Have you considered using anything but floramite? I just looked at the MSDS www.cdms.net/ldat/mp5GE006.pdf http://www.cdms.net/LabelsMsds/LMDefault.aspx?pd=5462&t=2(i'm compleatly organic so didn't know anything about it) but it is of questionable food safety (a lot of resources say only ornamental plants) and it seems like one of those pesticides you are supposta wash off fruit. It some really nasty stuff that needs alot of protective gear to apply. Cant really wash buds. just wondering how you feel about it, not trying to be a dick. but scenes of DDT spraying come to mind. They thought it was harmless, but it fucked with fertility and contributes to diabetes.
DDT video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQzx2ZyaSbw

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Yep, I've tried everything for mites except Avid, which isn't an ovacide so I wouldnt bother. I do my last application of it about 4 weeks before the chop, so there isn't much of it left. I also do other foliar sprays weekly so I that helps too. Mites are a big problem here, so keeping them off the buds takes some heavy duty stuff. Neem has to be reapplied at 4-day intervals, and I've tasted it in finished product before, nasty.

Yeah I know what DDT was, pesticides nowadays have much more stringent testing before it's approved on crops.

Yeah, Neem requiers the same "no spray" period before harvest, but for the taste reason. By the way, Neem can be used as a soil drench, dispite some peoples claimes to the contrary (they over apply. Dilute it as per instructions and then use 1/4 neem solution and 3/4 water/fert) The really cool thing about that is it's systemic and It lingers for about a month. Listen to me. Giving a sermon to Saint Peter.
I guess I live in a low spidermite area.... still, I would rather grow in NoCal. Not sure i could keep up my organic regimen with that much crop.

I guess a long cure would take care of any residual chemical, but still, I hope to never need it.
Really amazing grow, man. And thanks for the quick response.

So please, what should we buy?
Prevention. It's cheep. I use Hepa filters on intakes an clean room techniques. But I'm not here to argue the safety or logic of pesticides. Just wanted to learn how people feel about their use, as i dont use them. Belive me, I had an option that was organic and as ez and effective, I would sell you a bottle or to.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
when a big grow gets hit by mites, its a logistics nightmare

any probz i ever had were quick remedied w/ a blast of water from a sprayer - not so awesome when it just sprays onto the next plant

FWIW, i see people having good effects w/ the neem seed stuff (including as systemic)

but, i dont have any mites so - dunno

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Yeah that's the thing with organic pesticides, they just aren't very effective. I also don't like spraying anything waterborne on buds, so the Floramite SC and Eagle20EW (for PM) are what I use for their durability. 3-4 weeks apiece! And again, FLoramite kills eggs, something Neem can't do. I also don't like clogging plant stomata with heavy oils like neem.

Clean rooms are tricky on a small scale, but on a large one even harder. My basement opens right to the outdoors, so I just try and ensure the plants are not tasty to bugs and set off a pyrethrin fogger (or three) on occasion to kill other critters.

And I agree with you C, if there was an organic pesticide that lasted for weeks and killed eggs, I would be all over it, but sadly I don't believe any such chemical exists.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i m of the understanding that silica helps to bolster the plant against such things

i m certain there is something (which i prob inadvertently use) much like brewer's yeast fed to dogs/cats keeps the fleas away (people who take brewer's yeast get bit less by mosquitoes and such)

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Yeah I have used silica for years, makes stems stronger but mites still love eating em! Damn little bastards. I can't wait until we can isolate the gene that makes a plant mite resistant and start engineering some better herb so we don't have to use all these pesticides. ;)

B

bipotato

Sealed rooms help a ton. I haven't had to use anything more than Gnatrol and some early GreenCure dunks in veg. I haven't seen a pest or problem yet to date, while I know for a fact that others in the area are having plenty of problems. :2cents: