What's new

Large soilbed, no drain, reused soil, problems occurring

V

vonforne

Ya you cannot mention other sites here.......in detail or post links. You were accepted there.....btw.

V

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
EWC slurry! or compost tea from EWC.

Yeah watch the lime bro. Love your bed. Take a gander at the biochar sticky when you got time it could be what you seek if you want to tweak, some mulch would really help your girls too.

I second what Jay and Mr Fista have recommended. Was your soil mixed up inbetween planting or left intact? Sorry if I missed this.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
whenever you have steep banks on fresh water, especially mud banks, wigglers are better bait than nightcrawlers.

earthworms are actually a naturalized invasive in north America. before jamestown, out forests were very different, with massive leaf drifts and a totally different ecosystem. worms changed all that by disappearing the leaves, raising pH, etc...

the worms that belong in old growth forests are very different, and there are fewer of them than you find in bacterial dominated systems.

whether it was nightcrawlers or wigglers that damaged the old growth I know not. the events are referred to in the book "teaming with microbes".

It is primarily the Boreal forest which is effected in the prime fishing spots to the north. It is not written in stone that worms are non-indigenous to North America. It is debated amongst biologists.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
EM1 is mixed 1:1:20 > EM:black strap molasses:good water at 105 degrees F

Keep in a sealed container which allows off gasing like a 2 liter pop bottle; exposed to light and maintained at around 100 F for approximately 5 to 7 days; Be sure the pH drops to 3.5 or lower. Use only molasses without sulfur.

I use a cooler with a light fixture screwed into the inside of the lid with a 100 watt equivalent cool white compact fluorescent bulb; with 6 bottles the temperature is maintained at 95 to 100 with the lid closed. The light encourages the growth of PNSBs.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I did see that you mix your soil. You should consider letting it live maybe sometime. I think Mr Fista is experimenting.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
i believe he's talking about not tilling your soil to avoid disturbing the established fungi etc.

aka "no-till gardening"

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol------what?

If you are seeking clarification, what I meant is to use a large volume of soil as he is doing and after taking a harvest, not mix up the soil with amendments. Instead just leave the soil intact, as it is with fungal networks and hierarchical levels of microbes where they have established themselves. This is what I meant by letting it live. I believe that Mr. Fista has reported on this process/experiment in more than one thread.

We carried this out for at least 5 years employing red wriggler composting worms introduced to the soil for a week or two in between plantings to eat dead roots, poop and aerate the soil. Following this, the worms were (mostly) trapped out. We also often used EM fermentations prior to planting and topdressed organic matter (vermicompost, alfalfa meal, kelp, etc) but never dug up the soil except for planting holes. During growth we used fish hydrolysate and aerated compost tea and occasionally vermicompost slurries. We had lots of good insects, mushrooms growing; not everyone's cup of tea.

Is that what you wanted Von?

mad librettist

Veteran
If you are seeking clarification, what I meant is to use a large volume of soil as he is doing and after taking a harvest, not mix up the soil with amendments. Instead just leave the soil intact, as it is with fungal networks and hierarchical levels of microbes where they have established themselves. This is what I meant by letting it live. I believe that Mr. Fista has reported on this process/experiment in more than one thread.

We carried this out for at least 5 years employing red wriggler composting worms introduced to the soil for a week or two in between plantings to eat dead roots, poop and aerate the soil. Following this, the worms were (mostly) trapped out. We also often used EM fermentations prior to planting and topdressed organic matter (vermicompost, alfalfa meal, kelp, etc) but never dug up the soil except for planting holes. During growth we used fish hydrolysate and aerated compost tea and occasionally vermicompost slurries. We had lots of good insects, mushrooms growing; not everyone's cup of tea.

this is what i intend to do with my 15 gal smartpots. I am growing a carpet of micro clover. I switched from perlite to calcined DE for durability. The containers are kept together, and I already have some spiders. I don't trap out the worms though, because they seem perfectly happy in there.

I know I am working with relatively little real estate, but i am giving it a go.

V

vonforne

yes it was!! Thanks for that.

V

V

vonforne

You are welcome good friend!

If anyone does not understand or wants reading material speak up.

I did miss the other threads MrFista posted in and were unaware of that information and did not understand what you had refered to.

Again....Thanks for the clarafication MM.

V