What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Large scale PPK system

Desert Hydro

Veteran
ninja fruit lookin choice sir!

Thanks. I went back to Jack's for the rest of the run. Pumped and vacuumed the whole system and started fresh. Things are looking up. Only using Jack's, drop clean and mbferts vitamin and hormone booster. Starting to fill in finally! Gonna add a few 60w light engines above a few tonight since all my parts arrived today.

Still waiting on the ninja fruit to turn purple but it looks like it's developing a slight pink hue from that photo so it should be soon hopefully.

I bought two pounds of veg plus bloom for my tupur seed phenotype hunt. They will be set up on blumats so they will be minimal maintenance. I've got enough shit on my plate right now!

Desert Hydro

Veteran
havent been posting pics because i hate to showcase my failures, but this is how you learn. made a lot of rookie mistakes this round. most stemmed from not letting the roots fill in the containers before switching to rapid cycles of watering. should have let them expand outward in search of water. lesson learned. i spent a lot of time fighting overwatering issue because of this. probably had some root issues exacerbated by this as well. been adding bleach to make it a dead res and i have massively reduced the duration of the watering. things perked up greatly. cut the co2 since i was having issues and that was speeding them up. next round is vegging beautifully now and looking great.

this round was more of a learning experience than a success, but at the same time i learned so much it was a success in that aspect. but learning lessons doesnt pay the bills. results do.

anyways here are my beautiful failures, still waiting on the ninja fruit to turn purple. hopefully it does or i will be pissed lol. thats the only reason i got it. took a gamble when i could have run tried and true but i foolishly went for color instead. got a few weeks left. things are getting better daily. environment is in check. more airflow than ever and still getting more.

my next adventure will be setting up a row of blumats in tupur to see how she does against the PPK in tupur. if i can get megacrop to run through the blumats without clogging i will run that but if not it will be veg+bloom and drip clean. nothing else!

Attachments

• IMG_20171216_181952.jpg
    IMG_20171216_181952.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20171216_182039.jpg
    IMG_20171216_182039.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20171216_182104.jpg
    IMG_20171216_182104.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 15

JohnM

havent been posting pics because i hate to showcase my failures, but this is how you learn. made a lot of rookie mistakes this round. most stemmed from not letting the roots fill in the containers before switching to rapid cycles of watering. should have let them expand outward in search of water. lesson learned. i spent a lot of time fighting overwatering issue because of this. probably had some root issues exacerbated by this as well. been adding bleach to make it a dead res and i have massively reduced the duration of the watering. things perked up greatly. cut the co2 since i was having issues and that was speeding them up. next round is vegging beautifully now and looking great.

this round was more of a learning experience than a success, but at the same time i learned so much it was a success in that aspect. but learning lessons doesnt pay the bills. results do.

anyways here are my beautiful failures, still waiting on the ninja fruit to turn purple. hopefully it does or i will be pissed lol. thats the only reason i got it. took a gamble when i could have run tried and true but i foolishly went for color instead. got a few weeks left. things are getting better daily. environment is in check. more airflow than ever and still getting more.

my next adventure will be setting up a row of blumats in tupur to see how she does against the PPK in tupur. if i can get megacrop to run through the blumats without clogging i will run that but if not it will be veg+bloom and drip clean. nothing else!
D-Hydro - What is the elevation of your farm?

starke

I know this is not much consolation, but your trials and tribulations are like gold to those of us about to take the PPK plunge. Major thanks to you, D9, Mr Blah and all the others who are plunging ahead and paving the way. Thank you! :tiphat:

Thirdtime

To be fair you need to get the ppk dialed in before you can do a side by side. I am still dialing mine in as well, but still looks good

Desert Hydro

Veteran
I know this is not much consolation, but your trials and tribulations are like gold to those of us about to take the PPK plunge. Major thanks to you, D9, Mr Blah and all the others who are plunging ahead and paving the way. Thank you! :tiphat:

That actually helps a lot. Ppks after great. I think the only real danger is over watering until they get root bound. Once they get root bound it's game on and you could probably water every 15 minutes to no negative effect.

PS I know root bound is usually a negative term but in these situations with automated short cycle watering it's what you want.

Speed of green

This is my favorite type of frustration, it will keep you on your toes next round. Not to say you weren't vigilant on these, i think you did everything in your power.

You had a rough start with some less than ideal plants, i think you made the best of a poor situation. At least your next round is looking solid, thats definitely something to look forward to.

I know it doesnt help much now but for my ppk's i pre-veg in 1 gallon coco 1.5 times the amount of plants i need, i select the strongest plants and keep many extras to switch out in case of slow starts once i plant in the PPK system.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
This is my favorite type of frustration, it will keep you on your toes next round. Not to say you weren't vigilant on these, i think you did everything in your power.

You had a rough start with some less than ideal plants, i think you made the best of a poor situation. At least your next round is looking solid, thats definitely something to look forward to.

I know it doesnt help much now but for my ppk's i pre-veg in 1 gallon coco 1.5 times the amount of plants i need, i select the strongest plants and keep many extras to switch out in case of slow starts once i plant in the PPK system.

are you doing coco in your PPKs or just to get them started?

Speed of green

i plan to transplant the 1 gal coco starts into turface & perlite ppk's.

itll be my first try at it, but with a larger air gap initially i think it should work out.

any thoughts?

Desert Hydro

Veteran
I have done Coco cups transplanted to the 7 gal tubs in the past just fine. I was thinking of going full tupur and seeing how that goes. I may use 3.5 gal buckets up top to keep the water cycles as often as possible.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
new genetics are acting like i threw them to the wolves under this DE @600w. they were living a pampered life under the t5s and then that shit broke so i just fired up the DEva. should get hardened off by tomorrow i think. This thing is BRIGHT even at 600. dont think i'll need to push it past 700 in this tent during full flower.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20171218_114515.jpg
    MVIMG_20171218_114515.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 13
  • MVIMG_20171218_114529.jpg
    MVIMG_20171218_114529.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 10
  • MVIMG_20171218_131034.jpg
    MVIMG_20171218_131034.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 10

Mr.Gotti

i use tupur in 2.5 or 3gal pots top feed it drains really nice and responds to multiple feeds per day extremely well

Desert Hydro

Veteran
Turns out I had the controller on the wrong setting so they were being hit with the full 1000w lol. No wonder they were in shock. I hung up the new de CMH 630 to get some more blue in the spectrum until flowering and keep them short. They are loving it. Flipping to 12/12 tomorrow. They will stay under the CMH for the first two weeks or until I need the CMH for it's intended purpose. Whichever comes first lol.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i think about 2 weeks out. the monster cropping(accidental) really stunted the transition into flowering so now i have no idea on how much longer. just going off looks at the moment. NONE of my purple strain turned purple. kinda pissed about that. may still happen in the last weeks. who knows.

these shots were taken today

Attachments

• IMG_20171222_180355.jpg
    IMG_20171222_180355.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20171222_180420.jpg
    IMG_20171222_180420.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 11

Speed of green

Yeah im at about the same stage as you, checked trics today and about 50/50 cloudy, not a single amber one though.

did you have a request for purple or just wanted to run it?

i have a couple strains out here that started to purple weeks back, not super stoked about it, but its a light purple so ill probably run it again...

i think you can force it with P or cold temps if its not genetic. Ive got the cold temps and P overload lol

Flowers look good, you may be surprised, they could really pack it on in the next week or so.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
still no purple. I fully expect 2 more weeks or more on some. gonna start weaning off on the nutes soon. may break off a couple of the more developed ones from the main system so they can flush separately without hurting all of them. this run was not good. not terrible, but definitely not good. learned a lot. hope it was worth it lol.

getting the veg room dialed in and the next round moving along nicely. will be adding co2 as soon as all the parameters are in check in the veg room. for now i am still battling low temps and rH. gonna switch my 300w LED for a 1k MH ASAP. that should warm the room up nicely and kick them into overdrive with the CO2.

santa dropped off dj shorts blueberry, supposedly been alive since the start of the strain and passed around all this time.....as well as lemon og and platinum banana og.

so much on the menu now! gonna work on grafting to get all my moms on to one or two root stocks. i have a feeling that is gonna suck lol. i see high failure rates on most grafting until you get it down.

plant in the pic is ocean grown ninja fruit. no purple. a little mad still lol

Attachments

• IMG_20171223_205357[1].jpg
    IMG_20171223_205357[1].jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 11

DunHav`nFun

Every new setup has a learnin curve DH.....Try not to over think yourself and just pay attention to the girls.....after all , you`re usin new lights as well as a new PPK system so don`t beat yerself up too much.....

All things in time Bro......Happy Holidays and good luck.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:.....