What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Large scale grinder?

Dry Ice actually sounds like a capital idea. Outside of the aforementioned yard tools, which really give you an inconsistent grind and waste plant oils, the best method I've found is bone dry through a 1/4" then 1/8" hardware cloth. I can do about 20lb an hour... put on a movie.

BigJohnny

Dry Ice actually sounds like a capital idea. Outside of the aforementioned yard tools, which really give you an inconsistent grind and waste plant oils, the best method I've found is bone dry through a 1/4" then 1/8" hardware cloth. I can do about 20lb an hour... put on a movie.

DI could be costly though, if you only have like 20lbs sure it might be feasible, but buying DI everyday is going to add up.

I don't find that using a food processor losses oils or wastes bud, I've consistently gotten an extra 1-2% of return by busting my material up into dust.

Terpharvester

What about a Vita Mix or blendtec blender they will turn everything from IPhones to Marbles to dust in seconds I can only imagine what it would do to buds or trim. You probably would want to freeze it before hand to make it even easier but you might just introduce moisture by freezing. I can imagine it would take no more then 30 seconds to get the desired consitancy and the things probably hold about a lb to 1.5lb. Maybe you could go with an industrial food processor.

BigJohnny

What about a Vita Mix or blendtec blender they will turn everything from IPhones to Marbles to dust in seconds I can only imagine what it would do to buds or trim. You probably would want to freeze it before hand to make it even easier but you might just introduce moisture by freezing. I can imagine it would take no more then 30 seconds to get the desired consitancy and the things probably hold about a lb to 1.5lb. Maybe you could go with an industrial food processor.

Aren't vitamix's like $500? I was watching a video of a rep making some stuff at costco and it had a pretty hefty price tag on it.

Blendtec I've not seen, I'll look into it.

Terpharvester

I think the Vita Mix and the blendtech are similar in price at least last time I checked. I would personally go with the Vita Mix do to its ease of sourcing at Costco like you mentioned, plus if you get it from Costco you can always return it if it breaks or doesn't work out.

BigJohnny

I think the Vita Mix and the blendtech are similar in price at least last time I checked. I would personally go with the Vita Mix do to its ease of sourcing at Costco like you mentioned, plus if you get it from Costco you can always return it if it breaks or doesn't work out.

they don't hold much more than my current $30 food processor, not to mention when I tried a regular blender it didn't really do a good job of getting the buds on the top down to the blade.

Can't really return one though, kind of hard to return an item caked with bud lol

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
hammer mill is loud and will pound anything to dust if strong enough...yeehaw..is there hammer mill hash???????

BigJohnny

And it's likely even more money than the Vita Mix and Blendtec

I really don't doubt it, but I could modify it to add a chute to the top, power it by a motor, and have it empty right into a garbage bag or bin. Then I could just feed material into it all day long.

I really don't doubt it, but I could modify it to add a chute to the top, power it by a motor, and have it empty right into a garbage bag or bin. Then I could just feed material into it all day long.

You'd be the talk of the town at that point .............

Pangea

Veteran
Reminds me of chopping straw for mushrooms. What about an upside down electric lawnmower with a drum rigged up as a feed chute? Gentler perhaps than other shredders, chippers and hammer mills.

just throwing it out there, safety concerns #1...

just came across a new medium size industrial grinder on a popular " marijuana packaging com " website, "is high powered grinder uses up to 1 horsepower to produce up to a whopping 35 pounds of powder per hour! "
$2,600

Last edited:
Kinda looking forward to the day when any and all hardware associated with marijuana processing doesn't get marked up 5,000% ...... just because it has some usefulness in this industry. If that doesn't happen, people will look back on this industry someday like they do the Gold Rush and how at the end of the day ............ the companies that supplied the tools and gear were the ones that got rich.

BigJohnny

You'd be the talk of the town at that point .............

It really wouldn't be that hard to do, but I'm not sure if it would bust up the material as fine as I'd like, but perhaps as fine as I like isn't really necessary.

Reminds me of chopping straw for mushrooms. What about an upside down electric lawnmower with a drum rigged up as a feed chute? Gentler perhaps than other shredders, chippers and hammer mills.

just throwing it out there, safety concerns #1...

just came across a new medium size industrial grinder on a popular " marijuana packaging com " website, "is high powered grinder uses up to 1 horsepower to produce up to a whopping 35 pounds of powder per hour! "
$2,600

I did kind of look into the lawn mower idea, someone mentioned it earlier in this thread but for what it does it seems like it would be a lot of work and more hassle than it's worth even if I could just dump 20lbs into it.

BigJohnny

holy crap, that $2600 grinder looks pretty badass, I wonder if it's a feed through type device, it kind of looks like it.

BigJohnny

After seeing that, some basic searching has found those same units on alibaba for about $2000 less lol as well as many other models. Might be worth investigating now.