What's new

large scale curing

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
I looked around Amazon and found these:

http://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Hockin...?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1265532298&sr=1-23

* Clear glass storage jar with airtight metal lid
* Roomy cylindrical shape and wide mouth; large finial for easy opening
* Choose from red, black, and brushed silver lid finishes
* Comes in 1-1/2, 2, and 2-1/2-gallon capacities
* Dishwasher-safe; made in the u.s.

Depending on the need, the 2.5gal could probably hold a couple of pounds.

Simon

C

cvk

5 gal buckets from homedepot are what you need been using this method for years no plastic smell or get some hefty trash bags

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...ROD&ProdID=236 has some good prices BUT then the shipping kicks in! 4 1 gal glass are about $3 ea so about $12 BUT shipping is another $20, OUCH. i'd rather spend $4 ea and get pickels and then clean the mess out of them. my opinion.

worst case you "season" them like you would a skillet by keeping trim in them until they loose all the pickle smell and your get the trim to scent the jars. hell if you are going to make hash out of the trim anyways by the time they make it to hash form any pickle smell the picked up will be lost i bet. oh well I'll let you know how my theory pans out i'll be doing this in about 2 weeks..

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...ROD&ProdID=236 has some good prices BUT then the shipping kicks in! 4 1 gal glass are about $3 ea so about $12 BUT shipping is another $20, OUCH. i'd rather spend $4 ea and get pickels and then clean the mess out of them. my opinion.

worst case you "season" them like you would a skillet by keeping trim in them until they loose all the pickle smell and your get the trim to scent the jars. hell if you are going to make hash out of the trim anyways by the time they make it to hash form any pickle smell the picked up will be lost i bet. oh well I'll let you know how my theory pans out i'll be doing this in about 2 weeks..

please do!

M

medi-useA

I'm using Powdered Milk containers...light metal container with a translucent plastic lid...2Ltr size...can fit a lot in them.

muA

jackel

perhaps your guys idea lf "large scale" is different to be using tin cans and powdered milk cartons or whatever. when i think large scale, im thinking truck full but perhaps im thinking too grand

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
I use 18 gallon rubbermaid tubs, after you wash them a couple times and use them for curing a couple times they just smell like weed, works great.

Exactly, I just talked to a guy the other day who had some elbows of some nice J1.
It was perfectly cured and I asked about curing. He said he dries it hanging like everyone else, but then instead of jars he uses those big huge coolers, I asked about the plastic, and he said they smell like Cannabis once you use them, no plastic issues whatsoever.

http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/images2//t_12484.jpg

Tupperware may work similarly, but remember, they use cheap plastics nowadays if they are not *intended for coming in contact with food etc.

M

medi-useA

44G plastic drums with 2 racks to hang buds from...and use simon's method.

I use 30cm-40cm fan casings, hung in layers above each other...
4 X 15 cm Fishing line and large BLUNT BARBLESS hooks for each layer...great for a tall restricted space...or closet....can be attached to a pulley and raised as layers are added...can wrap plastic around the outside of this vertical 'tube'...or a sheet...to slow down drying process by having air entry only through top and bottom..

I have a variation I'm working on @the moment...will post when completed.

muA

Another Idea:

Use an old fridge!...unplugged, of course:)...fill with shelving, fill with bud...check temp and rh regularly...you could even go 'high tech' and install a vent/fan connected to temp/rh meter...set and forget...need more?...use another fridge!

muA

Cutty

Go by your local mega-low-mart's bakery and get 4-5 gallon icing buckets for free. They are usually washed out but you may need to scrub them out in the bath tub.
These are food grade and the lids have a nice o-ring in them. Line them with turkey bags and you are set.

If you don't line them with the turkey bags a lot of the hairs will come off and static cling to the inside of the bucket. The liner prevents this.

You can easily fit one pound in a bucket. After the hang dry , bucket them up and burp the buckets just like you would a jar. After a few days seal them up and leave them.

Product can be stored for 6 months no problem this way.

Again the buckets are free for the asking at any bakery, the turkey bags will cost you under $3.00.

:clover: Congrats on the four pounds

reckon

vacuum storage space bags!!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95613

I got mine on sale at HF for $5: 4 bags total,.....but you can get these ANYWHERE: wally-mart, schmowe's, home-de-POT, tarjette', etc,...

best thing for curing large quantities since, well,......large quantities!!

I only vacuum out partially, I leave it a little loose, but burping, shaking it around, and re-vacuuming takes 30 seconds.

no plastic odor on the buds at all (it's HDPE plastic), BUT, you will NEVER get the dank smell out of the bags as long as you live,....so don't let your wifey find em and store a bunch of business suits in em after you cured GDP in em for 3 months :bigeye:

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
vacuum storage space bags!!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95613

I got mine on sale at HF for $5: 4 bags total,.....but you can get these ANYWHERE: wally-mart, schmowe's, home-de-POT, tarjette', etc,...

best thing for curing large quantities since, well,......large quantities!!

I only vacuum out partially, I leave it a little loose, but burping, shaking it around, and re-vacuuming takes 30 seconds.

no plastic odor on the buds at all (it's HDPE plastic), BUT, you will NEVER get the dank smell out of the bags as long as you live,....so don't let your wifey find em and store a bunch of business suits in em after you cured GDP in em for 3 months :bigeye:

doesn't this smash your buds?

as a semi large scale grower myself, I rely on my buds looking nice and pretty. When they are smashed up it makes my life a tad bit harder...

I guess it depends on strain and how dense your buds are really. I used some of those vacuum sealed bags that have the hand pump included. I really prefer jars over the ziploc pump bags though as the bags cause too much shakage and i depend on nice, intact, buds. :yappy: if you do want to vacuum seal your herb at a semi inexpensive price, go Ziploc Vacuum... (on that note, i just thought of something... ziploc needs to hire some well known pothead to do commercials for them... it would be hillarious to see like dave chappel doin a commercial for them or some shit... on that note, check out this link, its a pretty influential write up on the 10 most successful potheads... http://coedmagazine.com/2009/02/06/the-10-most-successful-potheads-on-the-planet-cool-enough-to-admit-it/

41Dn0YtqPOL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-70055-Ziploc-Vacuum-Pump/dp/B001DRNESE

anyways..

i know of a grower who took a big ass piece of plywood, about a 12 foot long by 3 foot wide piece, and screwed a shit load of mason jar lids into the plywood. He then created a shelf out of this plywood with lids nailed to it, which was then secured to his garage wall... he has about 100+ lids/jars... each jar is burped and rotated as they cure...it is alot of work, but he always has the best buds around. This guy takes his hobby seriously and produces MASS QTY smoke that is meticulously cared for. You would think that he only grew one plant and gave it a bunch of love when you get a sack from him- little do you know that he grows and takes care of 90 or so plants at any given time, with OZ's available at any given time at the most fair prices I have ever heard of...oh, and he doesn't monocrop either - were talkin about 6 SOLID strains available.. blackmarket dispensary 4 sure

:tiphat:

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I found that vacuum bags (i.e. FoodSaver) prevent curing, they lock the bud in time, so if its uncured when it goes in, its uncured when it comes out. I use them for storing and transporting cured bud, but I suck only a little air out of the bag before sealing. Works great and the bags are odorproof!

weve used 21 gallon totes for curing up 12 pounds at a time with no problems at all. works out real nice for us before bagging to got to the dispercery.