What's new

Large Reservoir or Dosers?

queequeg152

Veteran
Look man....I just perceive a dosatron in line as very simplifying: I don't have to fill up tank all the time and mixing nutrients etc.... I find the attractivity of it very obvious.

If I want, I can go on holiday for 3 weeks, come back, and everything is fine.

Where I live, the tap water in the winter can be as low as 57°F....Thats far too low....Thats why I came up with the posibility of heating inline. But such an inline heater would have to provide me very acurate watertemps, which is something that the flow type heaters you would install in a shower can't.

no you are wrong. you just dont understand how shit works, and you dont understand your equipment options.

a tanked water heater has BETTER control than almost all instant hot water heaters(inline if you will).

a tanked water heater will reach and maintain a temp provided you do not draw it down to the point where the stratified layers of hot and cold water do not begin to mix agressivly.

typically the cold water enters the tank through a dip tube that travels to the bottom of the tank... not all the way to the bottom(sediment disturbance), but far down.

when you draw down the tank, you are picking up the hot layer of water on top of the tank. as you are drawing from the tank, cold water is entering this dip tube and displacing lost hot water... the cold water however largely remains low down and mixes slowly.

there are two heating elements. one low down where this cold water stratifies, and another high up.

the low one is usually a beef coil, 20 amps or so. and the upper coil is usually a bit smaller. the lower coil is the one that runs when you draw down hot water.

the upper coil is the one that runs for like 5 minutes every hour or so... just to maintain the temps in the tank.

if you size your tank such that you are not drawing down more than like... 30% of the tank volume at any one time, you will never have huge temp fluctuation during a draw down. the cold water will then remain largely stratified on the bottom where it will slowly equilibrate with the top layer ... the lower heating element will fire up and the whole tank will equilibrate in like 30 minutes or so... ready for the next draw down.

you could also install a thermostatic mixing valve as a sort of thermal pressure regulator.

basically it will mechanically respond to water temps adding more or less cold water to the stream of hot water to arrive at a constant temp.

but what ever.

Hey queequeg152

Its true what you are saying about watertanks being the easiest and most accurate way of maintaining a stable watertemp. I'm doing this for some time already and it works fine. So much about achieving a stable accurate watertemperature. When I wrote my previous comments, I have not been aware of reliable solutions available on the market to fill up watertanks automatically. Now I am. So using a watertank "in line" seems to be indeed the most attractive solution if waterheating is wanted.

I'm still going to use a dosatron which I find very useful because it takes a fair amount of recurrent work out of my hands.

Anyway, I am growing on soil, so my thoughts didn't consider any other mediums.

Latest posts

Latest posts