What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lap Does LEDs - My DIY Quantum Board Cabinet

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
My friend seems to think the cooler canopy temps causes them to finish quicker

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
Hmm I dunno, if that were the case I would figure all these decades many people would've noticed that major of an impact on flowering times as they made the switch over to air cooling their HIDs, or adding an AC/fans. Especially during that phase in the mid-00s when people were trying to make their bud express purple/blue by dropping temps way low during flower, it definitely would've been noticed and a hypothesis floating around -- never heard/read it before now, myself. Its possible I just missed it though.

growing with leds for the past couple of years, I have noticed faster to finish. I am not sure what the root cause is but I also use deep red and far red, but everyone does not so it is other issues at play.

I am thinking due to higher ppfd compared to HPS more photons faster maturing. I do not know but it is real

johnipedestran

1%
Veteran
Hey Buddy,

have not posted in ages, but wow really cool to see this thread I had no idea of the power of the LED now.

Hope all is well---that is a beautiful example of glue.

peace
jip

Lapides

Veteran
Well needless to say, every corner I turned with these LEDs impressed the hell out of me. A lot of things I was expecting, but got even better results. The added bonus of a week plus taken off of harvest times is pretty fucking huge. I am very pleased with these things and so stoked to know the technology is just gonna get better and better.

Here are a couple jar shots. I need to go out and get a scale tomorrow so I can see how I did grams-wise. I'm very pleased whatever the number is though.

The baggies are the tiny airy buds I'll run butane over. GG4 in the 3 - 2 liter jars, Chem 91 in the quart jar. GG4 really took over, she was already bigger in the beginning anyway -
picture.php

Chem91. She turned out way better than I thought she would, given her looks compared to the glue. These buds really squirt out a surprising amount of beautiful rosin -
picture.php

Glue -
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
Great lookin buds you got there! :good: I've never grown the chem91 but it seems alot of ppl think she is finicky. Like most chems, I guess. Definitely looks like she pulled thru for you though. :)

the tape does not need isolation. The way it is made it does not ground out on the heat sink. you have to create a ground from psu. I run CC strips with drivers I have left over from other experiments. If you have any 1050 or 1400 drivers they are best suited for strip psu. One of my suppliers also makes hard strips Roget Zhang for Mofue Terchnologies Ltd. Nice guy fun to work with and honest. All my suppliers/mfg I have met are honest good people that work hard six days a week.

nice grow. I found that leds shorten the cycle by a week without much help from additional lighting. I think it is the lack of heat that helps mature better. IDK. I know your buds looks nice and gooey. congrats bro, smaller is better it seems.

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
Laps, were those under the 3500k setup the whole run or did you switch over to the 4000k rig towards the end?

Lapides

Veteran
No, the newer one is a little wider at 2 feet and wouldn't fit. It will get used eventually once I clear out some space.

So in the beginning when I first put my 2 plants in here, I told a couple people I'd be happy to get a couple ounces to pay for the cost of the light. If I'd be happy with a couple ounces, then I'd definitely have to say that I am over the moon with right about 14 ounces!

The quart jar of 91 came in at 56 grams on the nose, and I've squished at least a 7-14 grams of it already. The 3 2 liter jars of glue came in at 303 grams, of which I also squished 7-14 grams of already. I have 22 grams of BHO worthy buds and quite a few BHO lower buds that havent been chopped off yet.

The stems aren't quite snapping yet, so a little bit of moisture can still be lost. Assuming (on the low side I think) that I got 13.5 ounces, it gives me about 1.2 grams/watt. I'm not sure if I mentioned or not, but I got a Kill-A-Watt meter and it said I was drawing 320 watts. I suck at electrical math still.

I can do better next time for sure. I think I figured out a way to effectively add CO2 next round and I will not let the plants get quite as out of control as these got.

Without a doubt these lights can crush 2 pounds in a 4x4 with 600-640watts draw at the wall....if you have a similar skillset that I do :smokey:

milo_xxx

Stress Tester/Plant Torturer
Veteran
That is so awesome Lappy!! : respect:

Definitely makes me feel better about doing one. :tiphat: :bigeye:

Just need to find the scratch. :biglaugh:

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
Looking forward to contrasting the 3500k results with your 4000k results Laps, (before I buy/build mine heh heh guinea pig).

Koondense

Veteran
Thumbs up Lapides,
very good results and so nice to see another happy led user :)
Enjoy your harvest!

Cheers

Seshwan

Amazing ingenuity!

I am looking to DIY an LED light for a PC grow box, I had planned to use COB's however was pointed in the direction of this thread and think that these would be better suited for my PC case as it would spread the light out more evenly.

Would anyone be able to help me work our how many strips and which ones I would need? Due to space limitations I there is a high chance that the tops will get pretty close so would I need to run more diodes at a lower strength to help combat this?

Apologies of these questions are stupid but I am pretty new to this.

Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Latest posts