What's new

lanthanum and cerium synergy with triacontanol

milkyjoe

Veteran
It raises the EC substantially while adding no value. I prefer to use a sulfate or phosphate salt instead, might as well bring something useful to the party.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
It raises the EC substantially while adding no value. I prefer to use a sulfate or phosphate salt instead, might as well bring something useful to the party.
Unfortunately, you can't: Calcium sulfate aka gypsum and calcium phosphate (naturally occuring as apatite) are insoluble in nearly any solvent. Only calcium dihydrogenphosphate is water soluble but I'm not sure if that would work; it's pretty acidic and as soon as you adjust the pH (or the pH adjusts itself on the plant or in the soil), it becomes calcium hydrogenphosphate which is again insoluble.
Besides, the small amount of chloride in that mixture will make no real difference ;) .

milkyjoe

Veteran
But you can use an amino chelated Ca and the plant can then make use of the amino acid. Or you can grind those things really fine and chelate them with organic acids.

Or you can simply make a slurry with soft rock. Leaves a film on the leaf but gets processed by the microbes on the leaf in time.

All better ways in my opinion than Cl.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
But you can use an amino chelated Ca and the plant can then make use of the amino acid. Or you can grind those things really fine and chelate them with organic acids.

Or you can simply make a slurry with soft rock. Leaves a film on the leaf but gets processed by the microbes on the leaf in time.

All better ways in my opinion than Cl.
Amino acids usually don't chelate calcium but form simple salts with it. But then you'd need a counter ion for the amino moiety which usually happens to be chloride. IMHO Buying that will also be too expensive to be worth it.
No need to grind calcium whatever to dissolve it with an organic acid. Jup, citric acid or EDTA will also chelate it and that's actually a good thing.
Not sure if your plant lives long enough to profit from microbial rock powder degradation on its leaves... In soil, you're right but on the leaves, I guess, it is just like dust clogging pores etc.
Why are you so afraid of a bit chloride? It's not like it's used as 'fertiliser' (actually, many inorganic fertilisers and especially the all-in-one-ready-to-use-liquids contain the micros, Ca, and/or Mg as chloride salts).

Latest posts

Latest posts