What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Landrace from Dominica

Midbio

This is my 2nd go at growing out this landrace I collected personally while in Dominica West Indies. Im hoping that I've begun to start to dial her in. This time I’m trying it out indoors. I got the seeds and herb directly from a local grower in a remote out of the way fishing village. My first outdoor run with the seeds I brought back produced amazing flower. Smelled like carrots and gave a great clear headed mild energetic high. It’s not potent nor was the bud I smoked in the village but it had an amazing character to the effects. Cheery upbeat and positive energy when you smoke it. Let’s see how the indoor works out. I’m already a month into switching to 11/13. I started them on 12/12 for a month. Interesting the two in front that I topped initiated flower about 2 weeks after the two in the back

Attachments

• 615641C1-8635-4149-A997-0BCD35ABE8D6.jpeg
    615641C1-8635-4149-A997-0BCD35ABE8D6.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 165

da kine

You maybe should consider an open pollination with these if you have not done so already. Do you have any images, by chance, of any colas that you gleaned from your outdoor project last time? I too am interested in your work. I am older now myself, and not always interested in getting my head ripped off by some of the hazes or other potent varietals. What you describe can certainly be a very nice change of pace from the norm. Thanks for sharing it!

Midbio

Thanks Creeperpark ill continue to post this garden through harvest and do a smoke report when finished.

Hey da kine! your right, sometimes high potency isn't the only thing to look for. A lot of these lesser known landraces are a great change of pace. pictured below are some pics of last years outdoor grow with the Dominica seeds. I could have let them go another few weeks but weather wouldn't allow it.

Attachments

• 739B6349-C159-460A-85B0-A035A7A3C669.jpeg
    739B6349-C159-460A-85B0-A035A7A3C669.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 162
  • F2757082-DE2B-40FD-BD6E-D70A1D099655.jpeg
    F2757082-DE2B-40FD-BD6E-D70A1D099655.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 153
  • 986C7996-919B-4DAE-ADDD-15FE8187E1AB.jpeg
    986C7996-919B-4DAE-ADDD-15FE8187E1AB.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 157

Midbio

gifted from an online friend..

I tried twice to germ old Dominican seed called Alta Gracia

that was sold on the old CW auction

....supposed to be trip weed
Hi Rgd! I have heard of Altagracia and have been interested in finding a true sample of it for years. I don't go so far to say that I doubt its existence however im skeptical of any "landrace" from the Dominican Republic because there has never historically been a widespread culture of smoking herb there until very very recently.

These plants that im growing now of from the island of Dominica down in the Lesser Antilles region of the Caribbean. Small rural island with a very much widespread culture of ganja use. In fact I found there to be almost no taboo around its use whatsoever. young and old use it and use it quite openly as if it was like just having a cup of coffee, especially in some of the smaller villages

Midbio

All 4 are cruising along nicely. They’re drinking water quickly, which I’ve always seen as a sign plants are relatively healthy. I can’t wait for a few more weeks when the smells should start developing. There’s a skunkiness to the leaves when they were in veg, last years outdoor run smelled exclusively like carrot. Hoping to see the same thing with this run

Attachments

• 2C9F5ECC-D636-436C-B130-20784ED2C39D.jpeg
    2C9F5ECC-D636-436C-B130-20784ED2C39D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 53
  • 93C51F4B-1806-484B-BC02-A59DA761FE6E.jpeg
    93C51F4B-1806-484B-BC02-A59DA761FE6E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
  • FC6DBBA5-B69F-4969-BD1B-80ADCDC85BF0.jpeg
    FC6DBBA5-B69F-4969-BD1B-80ADCDC85BF0.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 62
  • BA2BAC8B-93E2-419C-84B7-E9E2F162D573.jpeg
    BA2BAC8B-93E2-419C-84B7-E9E2F162D573.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 60

Midbio

Hi ip tampae, thanks! My outdoor harvest last year was some of my favorite smoke I’ve had, this run indoors could possibly be even better as I’ll actually be able to let them fully mature this time.

Pictured here is some of the buds I got direct from the grower in the village

Attachments

• F6DD6D87-0CC0-41F6-BB15-B01508727DF9.jpeg
    F6DD6D87-0CC0-41F6-BB15-B01508727DF9.jpeg
    784.8 KB · Views: 100
  • A2C7A5EF-6D81-4CBB-84C7-6DACF77F7FED.jpeg
    A2C7A5EF-6D81-4CBB-84C7-6DACF77F7FED.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 98

Midbio

Almost there! I’d say the back two have just about 3 weeks max left till chop and the front 2 will likely need another month or so but things are going good. All have the distinct carrot smell. Resin production looks good on all except the back right which has very little yet had the biggest buds :(

Attachments

• 11AE07C5-E830-47E9-8DA4-E25A1CF6362D.jpeg
    11AE07C5-E830-47E9-8DA4-E25A1CF6362D.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 94

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
This is a new one for me, never heard of any Dominican herb, i bet it was originally a Colombian, Central American or Mexican. Looks like they need a little nitrogen and cal/mag boost. If they've only got a few weeks to go, then just water'em. Nice long buds. Where about in the world are you from, because they would do pretty well in the right area of the world.

Midbio

This is a new one for me, never heard of any Dominican herb, i bet it was originally a Colombian, Central American or Mexican. Looks like they need a little nitrogen and cal/mag boost. If they've only got a few weeks to go, then just water'em. Nice long buds. Where about in the world are you from, because they would do pretty well in the right area of the world.
You’re right, I wouldn’t be surprised if this variety originally got to Dominica via Colombia, I believe a lot of Caribbean landraces originate from there or other places such as Central America. The yellowing of the leaves drives me crazy, even after giving them healthy doses of fish fertilizer and cal-mag through veg and early flower they still end up looking deficient of something, happened to me on the first run too. The parent plants however that I saw personally in Dominica were beautiful green healthy plants. In Hindsight I should have asked the grower more specific questions as to how he grew them

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I guess every landrace came from someplace else in the beginning. ^^

I want to grow tomatoes here in socal during the winter and was thinking of using a small/5x5 foot or less greenhouse to do it. Your little greenhouse looks good. Where did you get it and what are the dimensions? I can not legally grow pot outside here so only tomatoes, hehe.

Midbio

I guess every landrace came from someplace else in the beginning. ^^

I want to grow tomatoes here in socal during the winter and was thinking of using a small/5x5 foot or less greenhouse to do it. Your little greenhouse looks good. Where did you get it and what are the dimensions? I can not legally grow pot outside here so only tomatoes, hehe.
I got it off Amazon I think it’s a 4x4 but I could be wrong. I’m in southern New England so it kind of protects a little from early frosts late October and early November

Midbio

I think carrot flavours are normally associated with African sativas(iv come across it more than once)and I think it was Hindu kush was another I found kind of carrot flavours,interesting nonetheless.76
That's interesting, id love to grow some African Sativas out. Ive always heard of the carrot smelling pheno in the Zamal variety. Carrot is definitely an interesting one, its my first time coming across it. Ive always associated landrace sativa stuff with the woody, incensy, minty smells from the Mexican "commercial" weed that was still available in the early 2000's. Its nice having a totally new smell and flavor to experience after 23 years of smoking. Makes me wonder what else im missing

Midbio

Harvested the back two, they went about 11 weeks in flower and were ready to chop. They are dried and in the jar for a cure, ended up with a little over an oz off each plant. The carrot smell is strong. I’ll come back with a smoke report soon. The other two look like they still need another month. I really dig the one on the left, it’s just straight sativa spears

Attachments

• 1E983A3A-6F0C-490B-9199-393AF0093320.jpeg
    1E983A3A-6F0C-490B-9199-393AF0093320.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
  • C4136BB3-B52E-489A-8A10-78EBA4F19B09.jpeg
    C4136BB3-B52E-489A-8A10-78EBA4F19B09.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 82

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
That's interesting, id love to grow some African Sativas out. Ive always heard of the carrot smelling pheno in the Zamal variety. Carrot is definitely an interesting one, its my first time coming across it. Ive always associated landrace sativa stuff with the woody, incensy, minty smells from the Mexican "commercial" weed that was still available in the early 2000's. Its nice having a totally new smell and flavor to experience after 23 years of smoking. Makes me wonder what else im missing
I've got a few Zamal seeds, but they are hard to finish outside where it 53*N. 1 bonus is i'm on the east coast, we get a very mild winter unless we get the beast from the east, or a few clear nights of HARD frost early. I managed to take a female Zamal to about 9 week bloom but she still had 3-5 weeks to go. What i got was a very pleasant surprise, shit yield, but some very mellow weed with a few small white/grey seeds from open pollinating them with another male zamal. They are a cunt to germinate, but i think i've got my technic right. After 2 weeks soaking in water, and nothing to show for it, i was just about to bin them, but had a thought that's worked for me in the past. All i did was use sand paper to skuff the edge of the seed that splits and remove that very thin film you get around seeds, 2 days later in an air tight container wrapped in damp kitchen roll all 4 put out a sprout 3 males 1 female, which put out a few bananas but they don't bother me as i freeze them and try to use them within a few weeks, but i didn't get around to doing that due to a few problems i was having as the time. So if you ever get seeds that look nice a healthy but won't pop, try skuffing them, it works well.
Check out what i've got at the moment from the links below. orif you have any questions DM me i always reply.

Latest posts

Latest posts