What's new

land of the free my ass...

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
nothing in the usa is free anymore...just wondering if and where in the usa you can camp for free legally if it exists... I know a few desert spots but that's it...anyone from the usa know spots to camp overnight or for a few days for free???? thinking of doing some low budget traveling .....peace

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
BLM land.... Plenty of that out west... Been a few years, but I used to just go in and camp without permits or fees...
Especially around the Moab, Utah area....

PS.. Moab area is really great if you have a jeep or other small 4X4..

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
lowriding at the moment so thats out..lol never really like Utah.kept going to dry areas and no booze no trout.the old lady tried to get me to move there...then she just decieded to keep the house....lol.. one of the local blm land spots is day use and charges. the other closed....I got gps for my laptop and handheld ..gonna take a look see

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
most of the National Forest property here in the southeast is open for free camping if you like to "rough it". IE- no electricity, no water, no porta-john etc. that is why the Rainbows stay there in the spring & summer. see them on Choccolocco WMA in Alabama almost every spring...

P

PermaBuzz

The upper peninsula of michigan.
One of the least developed, least commercialized areas Ive ever seen
and somehow not that well known to the outdoor sports crowd.
When I lived out west, it seemed like no matter how off the beaten track I got, I would always encounter
other campers with shiny toyota trucks decked out with the best mountain bikes or rockclimbing gear etc.
The UP has much less of that trendy Outdoor magazine crowd. And not much in the way of cattle ranching or cattle grates. Its not close to any major populatuion centers like calif. nor is it on the way to anywhere due to it being a peninsula. Most detroiters stay in the lower peninsula for recreating leaving the UP strictly for yoopers - a hardscrabble ornery bunch. No freeways ( except for a small stretch of I75) and most towns dont even have much fastfood restaurants. The area feels like its stuck in the 1950's. Not much of an economy. Some forestry but almost no agriculture of any kind.

What it does have is lots of wilderness, water, waterfalls, swamps, and fishing including trout. Not much nasty critters or torrid heat either unlike the southeast but the winters are bad, real bad and the black flies will suck your blood out in the spring. It might be a bit like Maine but more desolate.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

nothings better than a minnesota summer, we only get a handful of days over 90F, here it is mid July & the weeks predicted high temps are from 68F to 80F for next friday, monday's high is supposed to be 60F due to a cold front w/rain, most of the temps to be mid 70s.......

come on out & camp for free :)

Latest posts

Latest posts