What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lack of calcium? Or ?

blondie

Got my beans going well under HID and moved them to mars LED recently. It’s at 25% and about two feet away from the plants. A day or two later I noticed clawing on some plant leaves. Also seeing leaves change to light green and whitish colored spots on some leaves. I didn’t over water, as this didn’t happen after a watering. Has to be them adjusting to the led and I recall seeing people needed to add more calcium. I just didn’t think it would be so quick. Soil is mix of coast of Maine and no nutes added, yet. Straight rainwater. Temp is about 75 humidity is low though, now about 28%. I added a bucket of water in the tent hoping to get that humidity up some. I’m going to up pot soon but wondering what everyone thinks is happening.

Attachments

• 9B8795B0-D5B8-4CFC-961D-2994D650C41A.jpeg
    9B8795B0-D5B8-4CFC-961D-2994D650C41A.jpeg
    890.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 364CC658-2E97-45C4-AECC-CFFF8E466D1B.jpeg
    364CC658-2E97-45C4-AECC-CFFF8E466D1B.jpeg
    735.1 KB · Views: 74
  • FB6051C0-6E5A-4F4B-B0E5-8525548EA5D1.jpeg
    FB6051C0-6E5A-4F4B-B0E5-8525548EA5D1.jpeg
    717.9 KB · Views: 77
  • A9FF036C-9740-42BB-A740-878938EBDD69.jpeg
    A9FF036C-9740-42BB-A740-878938EBDD69.jpeg
    745.1 KB · Views: 76

Three Berries

I see the LED/Calcium issue on the top new leaves. If the new leaf tips are yellow you are right on the edge of it spreading. Or so it seems.

On something that small i would say the plant is giving the leaf up as it cannot support the it. So I would guess a root issue.

blondie

Think I got it figured. On the mars hydro light there is a switch to engage the dimmer. I had it dimmed to 25% but the dimmer was not engaged, so it was actually full power on these. Anyone think full power could cause this type of damage? Roots is a good guess. I’m just not sure what other than over water could cause it.
I’m going to up pot with some dolomite lime in the mix. That takes time to be available though doesn’t it?

Dime

Got my beans going well under HID and moved them to mars LED recently. It’s at 25% and about two feet away from the plants. A day or two later I noticed clawing on some plant leaves. Also seeing leaves change to light green and whitish colored spots on some leaves. I didn’t over water, as this didn’t happen after a watering. Has to be them adjusting to the led and I recall seeing people needed to add more calcium. I just didn’t think it would be so quick. Soil is mix of coast of Maine and no nutes added, yet. Straight rainwater. Temp is about 75 humidity is low though, now about 28%. I added a bucket of water in the tent hoping to get that humidity up some. I’m going to up pot soon but wondering what everyone thinks is happening.
Try feeding them, likely your problem.

Dime

Think I got it figured. On the mars hydro light there is a switch to engage the dimmer. I had it dimmed to 25% but the dimmer was not engaged, so it was actually full power on these. Anyone think full power could cause this type of damage? Roots is a good guess. I’m just not sure what other than over water could cause it.
I’m going to up pot with some dolomite lime in the mix. That takes time to be available though doesn’t it?
I think your roots will be weak and would hold off on transplanting till they recover and fill the container with roots then transplant and they will love it,you take the chance of more damage transplanting with a poor root system. I would also add perlite to your next medium for air and ease of root growth and run a good hydroponic nutrient and you can have more control. JMO. Good luck with whatever you choose to fix it.

Armate Otro

How often do you water and how much? Do you control the ph? You have the edge of the leaves of your plants bent inward! (This is due to excess heat or low humidity) It seems to me that there is excess watering because of how the substrate looks in the photos. It looks pretty wet. I understand that you had them at maximum power with the led and then you lowered power? If they were at maximum power, it can damage them. The surface of the leaves are heated by the photons that come from the LEDs. Added to the fact that you have low humidity, it is not a good combo. I don't think fertilizing them is a good idea being so small. There is no need for calmag, not now. At least in my opinion.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
You are not letting the soil dry enough before watering again. Tiny seedling roots are sensitive to too much water exposure. Its a common mistake. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If you start with complete quality potting soil you won't have nutrient problems. Having a complete quality potting mix that has growing problems signals watering issues.😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
When one has small containers it's best to weigh the cups dry and wet to keep from over or under-watering. Weigh the cups dry and write the dry weight on the cup. After watering write the wet weight on the top.

I water the cups and let the water almost empty before watering again because you have to let seedlings dry out. Letting seedlings dry out will motivate the plant root to grow faster in search of water.

Knowing the amount of water the cup holds both dry and wet will yield super plants. 😎

Last edited:

blondie

The other night I gave a healthy watering of crushed lime and epsoms salt after dimming properly. Next morning plants were coming back already. Though it looked like over watering it had to be the full power LEDs. I’m annoyed I didn’t put my glasses on and read the power switch.