What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LAB Results Entries IC420 cup 2014

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I am not so sure, with the bigger amounts like 10-20% it is much easier to be close to actual %'s then trying to do small amounts like .01-.5%, then the errors are sure to be there.
I have found out there maybe no other analysis available in the Netherlands. If that is the case we need to get someone to help. I would but my GC is off line and my lab closed, I can't. Shame that TLA only uses TLC at this point, that will not be good enough for quantitative, it is good enough for just qualitative, Cannabioid and terpene tests.
-SamS

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
testing for pesticides and molds has to be commendable... :yes: I'm sure it's not the case with many of the entries but I was horrified to hear as much as 60% of coffeeshop bud contains neurotoxins and other poisons ..

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Don't forget that there was some miss communication regarding the testing. We where told the test was going to be HPTLC.. Then Sam contacted TLA and found out that the test they where doing was not HPTLC. We thought we where getting the right test until Sam found out we where not.

chak-ra

Veteran
Indeed there was some miscommunication.
When TLA refers to the Hazekamp/Fishedick/Glas paper for HPTLC and says and states in documents very clearly that THAT (HPTLC) is the method they use; I am inclined to believe them -hadn't seen the analysis proces then... because if I did, I would've known.

Should better state in their docs: [method] they want to use in the future...
It is a good thing Sam found out before the cup started, but to little time to change the deal. So we left it at that.

As Sam said, terpenoids are far more important to the story than just single cannabinoids. And also with the ICmag cup I would like to see some low THC/higher CBD strain win; purely on organoleptic properties (that's what for we are judges).

@ Chimera: I'm not going to discuss TLC with you, we both know you are right about that; I've done TLC and other chromatography many times during my education.
But, maybe you should look in to HPTLC? Like Sam said, it is supposed to be a very cost efficient and effective way to analyse for cannabinoids and terpenoids. I don't think anybody here has seen it in action.

Let's pull our resources guys, we have almost a year to find a suitable test facility or help them all make progress so they can test the ICmag stuff next year in a proper way. They way we want to have it done.

Surely somebody must have a proper lab connection?
Maybe I could set up a small test facility in Belgium, who knows, I might just check it out.

Cheers!
:tiphat:

ElRubio

Veteran
Very very interesting thread on cannabinoids and terpenes testing. I´m learning a lot bout the subject.

Thanks everyone!!

Pangea

Veteran
Why not pool some resources, purchase a GC/FID(even refurbished) and get a competent member to run the tests?

I think there is quite the use for comparing ones experiences and judgement with the test results after the votes and scores have been tallied.

besthaze

Hi Chakra,
Hi guyz,

I know perfectly that THC content is not the most important factor to establish if "a weed is a good weed"...
however I can't hide to be very satisfy to have introduced the entry with the highest THC content. ;) LoL

Sample 30 genetic is Shangri-La from Catnip Seeds (= amnesia haze X chemdogIBL) and is the result of 2 years work from me and Dr.Penthotal.

picture.php

The goal of this project is obtain an high-THC content weed, with a complex and smooth aroma but, at the same time who present a limited cerebral-high effects...
...this last objective it's the hardest to achieve!
However analyzing your votes and the cannabinoids's analyses I think we are on the right way...

;)

Thx u all

Last edited:

Red Fang

Veteran
I admit I know nothing about this subject and it all seems like Greek to me! ;)
Still, whether this method is sound or another one better, testing for all the things mentioned seems like a step in the right direction to me. It is interesting to know, and together with judge's preferences, can be a useful tool in narrowing down seed choices.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
These test where way different then what we tested here using GC. we have multiple tests done that are in the 24-26% range .

GG#4 24.2 %
OGM 25.6 %

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
you should believe the gc results above these from what im reading. but in the end the gg did end up amongst the highest scores for thc. only 2 others had 20%, so assuming they tested them all the same way yours was among the highest ranking for thc.

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
I have a question for anyone who may know... How much would a HPLC and GC cost to buy? Also can an average person learn to run tests or would you have to be highly trained to run these machines? Thanks for any info.

Pangea

Veteran
www.srigc.com outta L.A. been linking to these guys for awhile now.

New GC/FID for $12-$14K

If you purchase from them drop my name(real name) as a referral.

chak-ra

Veteran
I think the Q is: what does a fully equiped HPTLC kit cost?

Sam, you got a quote on those machines perhaps?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol 150$ really wow..

I asked because GC is more reliable/Accurate then TLC. With GC being that cheap. Just wondering why they chose TLC over GC. Looks like cash flow.. I would have started with GC myself.

Latest posts

Latest posts