What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LA Amends Ordinance

vta

Veteran
L.A. Council Amends Medical Marijuana Ordinance

By John Hoeffel, Los Angeles Times
Source: Los Angeles Times

medical California -- The Los Angeles City Council, fearing that it risked a return to the days when medical marijuana dispensaries were opening at an astonishing clip, amended its medical marijuana ordinance Friday to alter key provisions that a judge declared unconstitutional last month.

In a significant change, the ordinance sets up a different process to limit the number of dispensaries. A lottery will choose 100 from among those dispensaries that can prove they were in existence on Sept. 14, 2007, the date the city's moratorium on new stores took effect.

The changes were forced on the council by the judge's decision to issue an injunction that barred the city from enforcing parts of the ordinance. On Friday, the city filed notice that it intends to appeal. Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Anthony J. Mohr has stayed his injunction, but it will take effect if the dispensaries that asked for the ruling are able to post a bond.

Jane Usher, a special assistant city attorney, warned the council that Mohr had made clear that without a new ordinance, his injunction would leave the city with little power to shut down new dispensaries. "He's put our feet to the fire," she said. "That is what he's done."

The council, with some members voting reluctantly, adopted the revisions on a 12-0 vote, a threshold that could allow the ordinance to become effective within 10 days. Attorneys for dispensaries that sued the city said they expect to post the nearly $350,000 bond soon.

The council settled on 100 dispensaries based on how many it believes the city's short-handed departments can handle. The original ordinance would have allowed all existing dispensaries that registered under the moratorium to apply to remain open.

An estimated 135 dispensaries followed the city's rules and are still in business. Those operators have objected strenuously and passionately to a lottery that could eliminate some of the most law-abiding and best-run dispensaries.

"I understand that this is not fair to many of the operators who are doing the right thing," said Councilman Ed Reyes, but he urged the council to adopt the ordinance to head off another period of lawlessness. "This lottery is what we can do now, as much as it hurts."

The council's decision came despite an appeal to slow down and write a better ordinance from former talk-show host Montel Williams, a multiple sclerosis patient who suffers from chronic pain and who has become one of the nation's most prominent medical marijuana activists.

"Holding feet to the fire? Let me explain something to you. For the last 10 years, from morning til night, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, I have absolute neuropathic pain through my feet, my shins, my side and my face," he said, his voice quavering. "You walk in and out of here every day and don't think about your feet. Mine I have to think about every second of the day."

He told the council that its ordinance does nothing to ensure the city is choosing the highest-quality operators, noting that the last time he got marijuana in Los Angeles it was tainted with butane. "You're not solving any problem for patients," Williams said.

Williams, who met Thursday with some council members, appeared to have influenced several and they treated him with unusual deference. The council voted to consider a plan to create an advisory panel to devise a method to set up an additional 10 dispensaries that would be subject to higher standards.

The amended ordinance is almost certain to draw more legal challenges. Long Beach, which used a lottery to cut the number of its dispensaries to no more than 23, has drawn eight lawsuits.

"We think the lottery is defensible," said Robert Shannon, the city attorney. He said Long Beach has just started enforcement efforts against losing dispensaries that have refused to shut down.

In Los Angeles, more dispensaries have begun to open, emboldened by the injunction.

"We probably get reports of 10 new ones opening each week," Usher said.

She said that it takes between six months and two years to shut them down, but that the amended ordinance could help.

"Clarity should lead us to much more success than we had in the second half of last year while we were in litigation," she said.

vta

Veteran
Source: Los Angeles Daily News (CA)
Author: Rick Orlov

COUNCIL OKS LOTTERY FOR POT CLINICS

Marijuana: MS Sufferer Montel Williams Gives Some Advice on Standards.

The Los Angeles City Council adopted a new law Friday creating a lottery system for medical marijuana clinics, while also looking at a new approach offered by television talk show host Montel Williams.

The lottery system was prompted by a court order striking down parts of the city's new ordinance regulating clinics.

Council members were concerned that failing to act on the lottery measure would leave the city open to the same "Wild Wild West" atmosphere as when illegal clinics were opening throughout the city. The council voted 12-0 to adopt the new ordinance.

"My greatest worry is we might have a gap where hundreds of clinics open throughout the city," Council President Eric Garcetti said. "We can go ahead on a parallel track to study changes, but we need something on the books to retain controls."

Under the new law, clinics that can prove they were in operation prior to Sept. 14, 2007 - when a city moratorium took effect - can file with the City Clerk's Office to be placed in a lottery, and 100 clinics will be drawn to be allowed to open.

Superior Court Judge Anthony Mohr threw out the city's original ordinance that sought tighter limits on the number of clinics allowed and told the city to come back with a measure creating a lottery allowing 100 clinics.

Senior Assistant City Attorney Jane Usher told the council that the judge made it clear what he expects from the city and if no law is in place the city was faced with the prospect of again seeing vast numbers of clinics re-open with the city having no real power to close them.

"He has put our feet to the fire and the moment his injunction takes effect, we will not be able to go back to him to say we need help to close these clinics," Usher said. "We believe the only prudent thing is to amend our ordinance so we have something lawful in place."

Usher said the city will return to court next Thursday to report to the judge.

At the same time, the council - at the urging of Williams - voted to study other issues, including a closer examination of operators and the marijuana being sold.

Councilman Richard Alarcon asked that a panel of experts be formed to advise the city on how the measure can be improved and to allow for an additional 10 clinics to be opened.

Williams, who has been an advocate for medical marijuana and uses it to control the symptoms of his multiple sclerosis, expressed concern about the quality of marijuana provided at the clinics. He has been working with other states and cities to develop a model program.

"I have been to several of the clinics ( in Los Angeles ) and they are providing marijuana I would never use," Williams said. "All the laws are concerned with providing safe access, but they never look at quality issues. The quality of the provider and if they know what they are selling or the quality of the medicine provided.

"You are not solving the problem for many patients. What we have seen is the hijacking of these clinics by people only interested in a profit. They don't give a damn about me or the patients. They are only trying to make money."

Williams said he has served as an informal adviser to some clinics and cities on how their laws can be improved.

Mohr allowed the city to keep regulations regarding the location of the clinics, such as the distances from schools and residential neighborhoods.

However, he threw out provisions requiring the dispensaries to give police access to the identities and addresses of patients. Instead, patients are allowed to present a county-issued medical marijuana card.

The judge also said only civil penalties for violations can be sought by prosecutors.

Latest posts

Latest posts