What's new

KRATOM-DEA halts plan to ban a natural opioid alternative kraton

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
cbsnews.com/news/dea-no-ban-natural-opioid-alternative-kratom

It's not marijuana related, but did the DEA come to their senses? Will they take cannabis off the Schedule?

The DEA reversed itself and are not adding Kraton to the list of Schedule 1 drugs list.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Ha, I just posted an article in a thread in the Toker’s Den about the same...

Yeah, the DEA is an enforcement agency, one that has definitely usurped their power. They are not a scientific agency nor should be a policy maker. They are probably starting to grasp at straws with what’s happening on the cannabis front, might see the writing on the wall.

hippy59

I been watching and reading about this kraton scare and how the DEA has acted prior to and reacted after. I cant help but think that maybe this would help open some eyes as to what type of authority the DEA seems to think they have over a lot of things, especially there conceptions on marijane, and what other normal average people would or are thinking now? I would love to get some type of discussion going on this subject and I plan on asking other NORML members there opinions on this at next months meeting.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
While it's still legal...

Where can I buy kratom cuttings or plants?

I have no clue, but it's easy to buy the harvested leaf. I've seen seeds available too. From what I've read, it takes years to grow a kratom tree to maturity.

Edit:
http://ethnodirect.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

https://kratomeye.com/kratom-shop/live-kratom-plants/live-kratom-plants-cuttings/

I'm not sure how practical this would be compared to growing weed and harvesting in a few months.

brown_thumb

Thanks, m314 but when you click on the links they're all sold out. I wonder if they've stopped selling it permanently. I can't find plants anywhere. I found seeds so I ordered those from Europe... but from what I've read, seed germination is only about 1 percent successful.

Last edited:

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I didn't look into it that deeply. Maybe the lack of available cuttings is related to the difficulties in growing it to maturity?

Why do you want to grow it? As a hobby or to be self sufficient with your own supply? That's why I started growing weed. I might not have been as motivated to grow if weed was cheap and legal and if growing took years of commitment.

brown_thumb

^^^ For self-sufficiency. I'm growing medical MJ too and this spring I'll plant a vegetable garden. Once large enough, the kratom tree(s) will be planted among the oak trees in the back acre.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm jealous of your setup where you are. I miss having a vegetable garden. Are you growing medical weed outdoors too? I've only grown it in closets and bedrooms sealed off from nature. Illegally for the first 10 years.

A back acre would cost millions here in San Jose. I need to get back to a place where I can afford a house with land to grow whatever I want.

I'd love to see pictures someday if you can make it work. Kratom trees in your backyard. :)

brown_thumb

No need for envy. This is two acres in rural TX. I bought the place for a little over $26K including all closing costs and realtor fees. It did have electric, water, septic and an old mobile home already on site so I could move in with very little repairs. This is sandy soil and it gets very hot here in summer so growing options are limited. So anyway, it's nothing fancy. I'm taking great risk growing MMJ here but I'm alone now and it seems to be my best option for treatment. So I can afford to take the risk. I doubt they'd want to cover my medical costs as well as pay my living expenses in prison so they'd probably take pity if caught ONCE. The kratom trees are for backup in case I'm prevented from growing MMJ a few years in the future.;)

So anyway, I want to grow kratom trees as a replacement for MMJ should that become necessary.

Latest posts

Latest posts