What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kief - What's the best method?

gardenfather

Hello Growers

What is the best way to create Kief?

Ive seen

- the screen and shake
- Screen and drag the cannabis over it like a grader
- Dry ice method with bubble bag

Not sure if there is any other way?

Just a quick question is it a waste to make Kief with huge buds or should you only use trim?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I guess the tumbler is just a variation on screen and shake.

What's the dry ice method?

G

I use an automated tumbler wheel with #100 stainless steel screen to sieve, driven by a Dayton 25-35 gear-reduction drive 110 AC motor, and a box built around it with epoxy paint, a no-stick cookie sheet in the bottom, fitting snug, and a support bearing pressed into the wood on the front (removable) side that is routered into journals on the sides and bottom, so it fits nicely..

It doesn't get 100%, leaves lots for making butter or other items, but I prefer the classic hashish taste and consistency to bubble hash, any time.

**Thus far, I've only used trim to make kief or to tumble for pressing hash.

Edit: It's been my understanding that if you are tooo brusque with the material in raking it across the screen material/fabric, you'll get way more vegetative matter in your hash-making material, than just nice trichomes,.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I use a tumbler with a 110 lpi silk screen, motor turns 30rpm, time is important, the #1 is tumbled for 2-3 minutes remove powder and tumble for 15 min for #2. I use trim and buds that I grate over 1/4” hardware cloth. As said before be careful not to break the material into powder the same size as the trichs, you want white or tan powder not green...

mexweed

Veteran
I freeze sugar trim and a lot of good looking kief falls off without doing anything, I would guess you could freeze buds and shake the bag around and after carefully removing the buds there would be some nice stuff to collect

Veggia farmer

Agentpothead: How is the taste of dry ice product? I want to do dry seiving for myself, cause I dont fancy the water hash taste. Doesnt taste hash too me. LOL. Grew up with marco, libanese and Afghani.

Plan on making black hash myself.. But first I need Kief...

back to thread: I have this quiet big bubble bags I plan on using together with the bowl of the trimmer. With sticks. Old maroc style. Just so I have done it once atleast.

First time or second time I made some hash with water and bubble bags was out some old big buds, critical mass aka BIG BUD. LOL. Brought it to my friend and he seemed very happy.
Next time I went there. "WHAT DID YOU DO!?" I was a little nervous at first... " I have made lots of hash, many, many times and this beats it ALL...!" I was very happy with that cause I cant hardly remember doing anything:p conclusion: Big buds creat big/good results in my eyes...

This buds were critical mass harvest at 12-14 weeks. Totally purple and/or black. Dried to fast because of a sick spouse at the time, had no time do check and monitor the drying process, sooo too harsh to smoke as pot.. Tasted shit in most eyes, before hash..

Nothing is so bad that it isnt good for something..

Last edited:

EsterEssence

Veteran
Agentpothead, is that product sticky? Someone brought me some kief that was dark colored and sticky, I couldn’t do anything with it, I wasn’t able to refine the kief and it made horrible sticky dark rosin. When I tumble everything is frozen the raw material, the room and the tumbler, and I get white powder from the first tumble, and tan colored from the second tumble. With the powder it is easy to clean up the powder, or press it into shatter like rosin...

Cvh

Supermod
Same here as several other posters. I use tumblers.
I have 2 of them in operation.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Agentpothead: How is the taste of dry ice product? I want to do dry seiving for myself, cause I dont fancy the water hash taste. Doesnt taste hash too me. LOL. Grew up with marco, libanese and Afghani.
I really like it, I only rarely got hash growing up so I don't really have a reference point, but it tastes "hashy" to me? At least if you compress it and smoke it like a little disc. The more gold stuff on the left was the smallest micron sieve and tasted the most hashy I think. The middle was very hashy but also had a little bit of like, flower taste, the stuff on the far right tasted the most like smoking flower. All 3 were an improvement on the source bud which I think for that batch was the leftover buds from outdoor 2019.

Agentpothead, is that product sticky? Someone brought me some kief that was dark colored and sticky, I couldn’t do anything with it, I wasn’t able to refine the kief and it made horrible sticky dark rosin. When I tumble everything is frozen the raw material, the room and the tumbler, and I get white powder from the first tumble, and tan colored from the second tumble. With the powder it is easy to clean up the powder, or press it into shatter like rosin...
It comes out freezing cold, I think dry ice is like -100F, and I don't remember it being sticky, like resin or tar is sticky, but it is sticky like, electrostatically, if that makes any sense? It will leave a coating on stuff, but it's easily scrapped off and seems to be pretty solid at room temperature.

Veggia farmer

Lots of terps I think disappears in the wachine that will lead to lesser taste. Maroc is dry sieve, then pressed hard in to "brix" short after sieving and have another distinct taste compared to the black hash from middle east. In ME they also dry sieve, traditionally cured it in goatskin underground for 6 months then hand worked and pressed by hand. More sweet taste in my opinion, and get this black color. Same as the finger hash.

therevverend

Veteran
Another vote for the tumbler dry sift method. You need cold for it to operate at it's most efficient. The best results are in the winter. Otherwise you can put the tumbler and goodies in the freezer beforehand. Or use dry ice which is the best method. Not only does the dry ice get it super cold but as it tumbles around it knocks the resin loose. I made hashish in the middle of summer when it was 80 degrees out. No way is that happening without dry ice. Even so I recommend waiting until cool weather, all the Old World hash makers from Afghanistan to Lebanon to Morocco know this.

How is the taste of dry ice product? I want to do dry seiving for myself, cause I dont fancy the water hash taste. Doesnt taste hash too me.

The key word here is DRY ice, there's no water content so it doesn't mess with the terpenes and the flavor. I was worried about condensation the first time I tried it but it wasn't a problem. I was amazed, astounded, by how quickly the resin piled up under by screen the first time I tried it. When I put it in the tumbler for the first time...holy shit. It's a game changer.

My technique is to bulk sieve my flowers or trim or both in the tumbler, then select sieve it in my lab testing sieves. I use dry ice and a brush to carefully screen the hairs and large bits out with a big screen and the dust and dander with a small screen.

picture.php

The more time you spend re-sieving it the more it cleans up. After that it's pressing time.

picture.php

You can put your dry ice in bubble bags and shake if you don't have a tumbler. I might try this for my re-sieving next time, once I do a bulk run in the tumbler. I haven't done water extraction in a long time, it's not a bad method but I don't like getting my smoking materials wet. With the right setup you can get very high levels of purity. I agree it's not as tasty as dry sieved but it it's not exactly flavorless and packs a real punch.

mikeross

Tumbler, dry ice and a couple marbles thrown in the mix. Its easy, set it and forget it, scrap the bin and toss it in the freezer.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
L In ME they also dry sieve, traditionally cured it in goatskin underground for 6 months then hand worked and pressed by hand. More sweet taste in my opinion, and get this black color. Same as the finger hash.

while i have not seen black hash since the early 70's (a long time ago), it was the 'shit'... i have never seen anything even remotely close... the hash at that time from morocco was a joke.... green/green/green - i have tried a'dam hash that i was told was maroc numerous times, and was 'ok'...

my question was and still is... if the weed today is so much better then years ago, the hash we make today should be better - better going in, better coming out.... i have made hash from bubble bags, dry ice in bags and over a screen, as well as using dry as a bone bud over a screen and pressing....

so far nothing compares to the black hash of yesteryear...

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
while i have not seen black hash since the early 70's (a long time ago), it was the 'shit'... i have never seen anything even remotely close... the hash at that time from morocco was a joke.... green/green/green - i have tried a'dam hash that i was told was maroc numerous times, and was 'ok'...

my question was and still is... if the weed today is so much better then years ago, the hash we make today should be better - better going in, better coming out.... i have made hash from bubble bags, dry ice in bags and over a screen, as well as using dry as a bone bud over a screen and pressing....

Doesn't hash turn black because it has been oxidized? Maybe it is undergoing some sort of THC to CBD or something and the ratio is changing the effects?

PDX Dopesmoker

Here is a video that shows how they were doing it in Afghanistan in the early 1970s
Replicate everything in the video and you're bound to get what you're after.

Veggia farmer

Black hash thread:) :

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=99091

I have been suggested about dry ice before. Think I have go get my ass going for it this winter.

ZAch: I have got lots of bad maroc. They are very known for "standard" as atleast we called it. It just got stoned if you smoked enough, but sometimes we also got some really fine hash also from them. Brown/light brown.

I havent bought so much erb and hash after 2010, but in the early 2000 we got black hash from Libanon and Afghanistan. Often with some sort of "gold" on it.

It is some sort of ozidizing process, Agent. Most of the black hash I have gotten, got you more stoned any other hash I have tried. Anyone? It also got you quicker "smoked in" as we call it here. You just dosent get more stoned:dunno:

Last edited: