What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

kessil LED BB grow

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well here it is, the kessil light put to the test. It is the model with the blue and red, I think it's called the magenta one??? It's the one with the purple ring, not the red ring around the unit I have grown some seedlings in coco, but that is the extent of my knowledge.

If I can say right off the bat, this is gonna be pathetic I'm thinking... well just look at the pics. this is more for people thinking about the kessil then anything. but this is not conclusive as heights and non-auto flower plants need to be tested more.. but I think we can see these lights are only for supplement or a one plant grow, being a mini scrog / LST / topped plant I'm sure will use up the side light more, but I would bet it is best to stick to a one mini plant under this light, in a PC, might be different, but I would bet to use at least 2 in a PC grow with the units on the outside with holes cut in the top for heat purpose / space.... but I could be using the light wrong and I have it all off. I have seen from the seedlings though that they stretched very bad even with a space I would say between 7-8 inches above the tops, which would show us a weak light, well that's what I came to the conclusion of anyways... I've seen tomato pic from kessils website, and would be hard pressed to to see 1 tomatop lant growing under this light, and a big one at that, but as I said I seek with limited knowledge, and plant to do alot more testing before drawing conclusion..

plant is DP auto BB. this is the smallest plant, as I was gonna toss her, until I remembered about my kessil in a box. well short story were here now growing the BB under the kessil. Later will update with comparison BB plants ( have two under a HGL LED ). plant is in recycled soil in 1 gallon pot, and fed some bone and meta K. leaving out the bio boost this round. thing hardly needs water from the low temps / radiant heat and size.. I've been watering once a week.

please ask any questions..

week 1

week 2 ( couple days late )

week 3 (comparison BB plants ( last two shots), showing setup there in, they are the ones on the left side, and the top and bottom one, the middle is a polarlight ( 180 watt GLH , smaller plant at 14 1/2 inches, taller one 13 inches from light, obviously as I said the kessil is the smallest plant, and we need to take into consideration phenos.. )

week 4 ( moved the light a couple inches closer )

week 5

week 7 ( missed 6, busy.. )

Last edited:

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is hard to get a sense of scale from the pictures. How far above the plant is the lamp mounted?

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ just measured, 11 inches from top. the first week I had it a little higher.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
:lurk:

subbed. I looked into these but felt the price was absurdly high for the coverage. Very curious o see you results

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
lurk.gif

what's the price on these?

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey guys, nice to have you here.

price, I bought it for $250 a while back, not sure if they've changed.. you can check out plantitearth for more info on pricing, and different models..

updates to come. I am gonna run a auto straight in a 1-2 gallon next time to see if any difference, so the grows are not done with the kessil, however this turns out.. which doesn't look so hot, but let's go for max next tie with some LST. I also have some flo clones that are extra and could start training one for topping / LST in a week, maybe even in some coco to get the root mass and yield up ( who knows )... will be interesting next grow, and I'll do my best next round to fill the canopy and use some of the side lighting, maybe setup some walls around the pot to simulate a PC or small enclosure grow...

have fun

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok guys, this test is almost finished ( well haven't looks at the trichs yet.. ) but I have 2 directions for my next grow:

-2x flos in one container, they are topped so I can have 4 shoots or
-1 flo topped two times, so 4 shoots from one plant

hoping to pick up a 1 1/2 or 2 gallon pot this next round with some more veg time to fill out the space and get some node sites before flipping

but being as this is the auto-flower section, next round will have to be put somewhere else unless I go auto again

thoughts on how to improve next round:
-bigger container ( even from start as these were in small containers first few weeks )
-lower nutes in soil
-keep light closer from start
-more veg time
-booster additive ( might help / who knows )
-wall space ( this was going not in a corner of the room which would have reflected more light )
-coco fiber grow ( but I don't have to much experience in coco right now )

so there are alot of variable to play around with for a while till we really see if the kessil is worthy of micro growing, I believe net round I can boost yield a little more, as this plant was an after thought and was not prepared to go under the kessil... also as I have said to take into account these were windowsill grown for a couple weeks, and in small containers, and phenos are varied widely with autos as I have seen, so to me getting a better comparison is to not use autos, and use a strain that you know to judge more accurately...

have fun guys

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Howditdo?

Howditdo?

ok guys, this test is almost finished ( well haven't looks at the trichs yet.. ) but I have 2 directions for my next grow:

-2x flos in one container, they are topped so I can have 4 shoots or
-1 flo topped two times, so 4 shoots from one plant

hoping to pick up a 1 1/2 or 2 gallon pot this next round with some more veg time to fill out the space and get some node sites before flipping

but being as this is the auto-flower section, next round will have to be put somewhere else unless I go auto again

have fun guys

Aloha Habeeb,

Test is almost finished?
Pictures would be nice.:)

Whuddaya think of the Kessil, so far?

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ hello weezard.

yes, I hope the test is almost finished. being a BB, it should finish fast, and being an auto, it had estimated 2 weeks before flowering, so we are at week 7, hopefully 1- 1/2 weeks and hopefully will be done... but who knows. checked the trichs few days ago and half are cloudy, and I like pulling at cloudy as possible with few red, so hopefully we will draw soon so I can throw another plant under this..

kessil, I think its for multiple things if you would like or not:

-people who have the money, these are not cheap for price per watt
-micro growers
-side light / would make great side light in micro and small grows I believe
-people who love experiments

I think there are many factors at play here, and is best left to your instinct if you want or not..
price to me is not so much with LED's as we must look at thee lifespan of the product vs. output. and including no bulb replacement which is money added, maybe a little but still money and time involved. I always hear about people complaining about LED price, but when you look at other LED's with lower electricity, and no bulb replacement, how is a LED expensive if one HPS bulb can be $100 every 4/6/12 months ( pick your flavor when you switch out ), led's are very in-expensive, and when you look how much yield how little or big, every 2-3 months you can pump out ounces, so if you paid for this on the street, 2-4 ounces is your light worth right there... but I never get when people talk of money if they buy something or not.... I grow and don't gripe over money, as I already have enough stress from other things..

back to kessil, I like it. I think it's a fun thing to have around. this is not about power, I mean look at the size and watts, it can never grow big, but I love small things, and small plants and a small light is fun to see what can be done with so little, it's a great way to work on maximizing yield and working with what you have.. but I do believe this is only for certain people, and I think most don't fit to buying this light

for next round, I have selected a flo, that is being topped to 4 tops, am gonna LST the tops and flower on, this will be exciting as flo is a low yielder, and grows tall, so we will see how the kessil performs this round, and I am much better prepared for next round to maximize potential so we will see how she goes.

I think this test didn't get us far as it's the first time I used it ,and autos have many many phenos, and I was un-prepared on what to expect, so no matter the results, I believe this test is really not the end all if this light is good or not.

Latest posts

Latest posts