What's new

Kentucky moves towards decriminalization

gingerale

Veteran
http://control.mpp.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=53964.0&dlv_id=44644

After sailing through the House (97-2) and Senate (38-0), a sensible sentencing reform bill was signed into law by Gov. Steve Bashear (D) yesterday. H.B. 463 will reduce personal possession of less than eight ounces of marijuana from a Class A misdemeanor, with a penalty of up to a year in jail, to a Class B misdemeanor, with a maximum 45 day jail term. This change will go into effect on approximately June 24.
Additionally, it appears that individuals solely accused of marijuana possession will be cited — not arrested — under H.B. 463. If there are reasonable grounds to believe the individual will appear in court, H.B. 463 provides that police may not arrest people for misdemeanors. There are some exceptions. For example, an officer may (but is not required to) arrest in cases of a refusal to follow an officer’s reasonable instructions, and for offenses in which the defendant poses a risk of danger to himself or others.
During the floor debate, legislators discussed passing a “Phase 2” bill next year, and we can all work hard together to encourage lawmakers to reduce the penalty for marijuana possession to a non-criminal fine, as is the case in Mississippi and Ohio. Thank you to everyone who took action!
The end is near for prohibition.

♥Mo♥

Never would have thought Kentucky would get on board. When I lived there UNITE and the helicopters were everywhere. It's a step in the right direction. I guess they realize that all the people dying from pills is a little extreme.

mafia

♥Mo♥;4273449 said:
Never would have thought Kentucky would get on board. When I lived there UNITE and the helicopters were everywhere. It's a step in the right direction. I guess they realize that all the people dying from pills is a little extreme.
Yup on the last msnbc show they were saying kentucky would be the last state to do it.

PistilPete

Enjoying the ride
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yup on the last msnbc show they were saying kentucky would be the last state to do it.

I was just trying to think of where i heard that. Yeah, it was that gung ho sheriff saying that weed was destroying kentucky. It's definitely not the meth and oxy, it's that weed.

K

KSP

It's a step in the right direction, let's hope it continues along this path toward complete decriminalization.

Baba Ku

Veteran
The reason this is getting the fast track, is because one of the largest eater of state revenues are the prisons. The cost of housing non violent drug offenders is astronomical, and at a time when the state is shuffling to make ends meet.
Breshear stated yesterday that he wanted to see our prison time for MJ be replaced with treatment and help centers.

Whatever the reasons, things are going in the right direction, at the right time.
It is already a misdemeanor to grow less than 5 plants no matter the size.
And I know that some of the larger city cops have been issuing citations for joint possessions, with no arrests, for years now.

If only we could get the media to accept Gatewood as a viable candidate we could change the nation and maybe the world. I guarantee he would be the leader of the whole movement.

The media thinks Gatewood is a loon. They find him more of a good story joke than a viable candidate for Governor. Sure he is a wildman and has done some crazy things...but he is crazy like a fox.
I once saw them interview him live on Louisville TV news and he whips out a big fat sack of buds with some sort of medical cannabis sticker on it. They liked to shit! Old Doug Profit was stuttering and stammering. Ol Gatewood was quite proud of his frosty bag!
He is our answer, I'm tellin ya!

And I think he would put a stop to ALL mexican bullshit flowing into our fine nation...or at least our fine state!
Starve the cartels, and hope kindness returns to that land.

WHile I am on a rant....
The cartels are blitzing the market with cheap weed. The going rate for fresh off the brick commercial shit is $100 an ounce. They want to keep folks on their cheap shit.
Refuse it...with a smile, but tell them no thanks.
At $100 an ounce, with a majority of folks who really know nothing about high grade cannabis, folks are going to go for the value. Until they get educated.

K

KSP

I'm not a Gatewood fan. The guy has moved closer to the center over the years, and to me he does seem kind of looney. Seems he and Riley are distancing themselves from cannabis (recreational and medical) and are more interested in fiber cannabis production. Maybe because of the financial/political backing they can garner from large farming concerns in the greater Bluegrass region.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
The media thinks Gatewood is a loon. They find him more of a good story joke than a viable candidate for Governor. Sure he is a wildman and has done some crazy things...but he is crazy like a fox.
I once saw them interview him live on Louisville TV news and he whips out a big fat sack of buds with some sort of medical cannabis sticker on it. They liked to shit! Old Doug Profit was stuttering and stammering. Ol Gatewood was quite proud of his frosty bag!
He is our answer, I'm tellin ya!

I would have liked to have seen that!...:thank you:

What else can you expect?... from the mother city of Hunter S. Thompson...

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran

Texas will give in when you pry its guns out of its cold dead hands.

It's probably bad luck to bet for the "last to legalize" so I'll just walk away :D

Good for you Kentucky!

:friends:

Baba Ku

Veteran
Yeah, he is for sure distancing himself from the rec and med cannabis area, and concentrates on the agricultural aspects. This is by design.
He isn't drifting away from it, he just doesn't want the Baptists thinking about it.
Ky is after all still smack in the middle of the bible belt.

I think his slip to the middle is more his positioning to get votes. I truly think he could give a ripe rats ass about a political party title, and is really beholding to none of them.
Make no mistake, Gatewood is a conservative American.

It may be a bit phony, but if you are gonna play the game, you gotta play the game.
Besides, in the grand scheme of things...agricultural mj would blow the revenues of medical or recreational mj away...probably by 100 fold.

K

KSP

It may be a bit phony, but if you are gonna play the game, you gotta play the game.

This is part of the problem; it's deceit, and all politicians do it. It's wrong to intentionally mislead par of the electorate, regardless of the reason.

Besides, in the grand scheme of things...agricultural mj would blow the revenues of medical or recreational mj away...probably by 100 fold.

I hear this a lot, in fact heard it from Dea Riley, but I never see any figures. It simply shouldn't be believed without objective supporting data/estimates.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Event though a state decriminalizes possession of ___fill in the blank___ ozs of bud or less to a "fine only" type of misdemeanor, there are still laws in place that require by federal mandate to suspend the driver's license of said individual for 6 months.

Sure, you get busted with 1 oz of the finest buds around, you only have to pay $100 fine AND your drivers license is suspended for 6 months.

why is there such a crazy and seemingly unrelated law like this you ask?

A few years ago the feds said to the states(in so many words) "we'll give you your fuel tax money back for fixing/reparing your roads if you implement these new laws in your state, if you won't, you don't get your money back"

I think there were only like 5 states that refused.

Last edited:
This is completely irrelevant in practical application. It only matters symbolically.

Take it from someone who has seen many get busted in a state most people who read NORML would believe is a fairly friendly state, Ohio. Heh, if only.

If you have more than a few grams in Kentucky, you will get charged with intent to distribute, paraphernalia, and a multitude of other charges 99% of the time. Law enforcement officials and the local judicial system make too much money off this stuff to be concerned with voters and state politicians. Only in liberal states, where the populous actually gives a shit and will protest/rally/make a stink will cops be forced to follow the rules. In conservative states, where people just talk shit and play with their guns in the living room, nothing will be done if some 18 year old kid gets hard time in lieu of the new law. Believe that. Won't even make the paper.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For example, an officer may (but is not required to) arrest in cases of a refusal to follow an officer’s reasonable instructions, and for offenses in which the defendant poses a risk of danger to himself or others.

That being from the article...all I PERSONALLY hear, is that the cops have a scapegoat for doing anything they want at the end of the day. Who is to say what is "reasonable" and what is "risk of danger". These are both very subjective terminologies. The law must be black and white. To me, this is much like saying nothing at all....perhaps a false hope to lure a few out of hiding.

If the one who intends to incarcerate me is the one who decides what is "reasonable" and what is "risk"....not going to lie. This seems more empowering for "them" than it does for "us".

Sorry to rain on a parade..but, alternative perspectives is what this site is able to contribute...and it is what makes us all more well rounded and prepared...if you allow for such a concept...

dank.Frank

Baba Ku

Veteran
This is completely irrelevant in practical application. It only matters symbolically.

Take it from someone who has seen many get busted in a state most people who read NORML would believe is a fairly friendly state, Ohio. Heh, if only.

If you have more than a few grams in Kentucky, you will get charged with intent to distribute, paraphernalia, and a multitude of other charges 99% of the time. Law enforcement officials and the local judicial system make too much money off this stuff to be concerned with voters and state politicians. Only in liberal states, where the populous actually gives a shit and will protest/rally/make a stink will cops be forced to follow the rules. In conservative states, where people just talk shit and play with their guns in the living room, nothing will be done if some 18 year old kid gets hard time in lieu of the new law. Believe that. Won't even make the paper.

See, your biased politicizing of the issue sort of lessens the importance of what you are bringing. "Only in liberal states where the populous actually gives a shit..."
I'm sorry, but after that I can't see much worth in what you provided. More divisive shit, basically. Shit that isn't really the way it is. If you think this is a political issue, you'd be dead wrong.
You may find yourself in Erlanger and at the mercy of some bubba cop, but that is hardly the way things are as a whole.
You do realize that there are bigger places in KY than Newport, yes?

And if you think that the revenues from fines and such override what it costs to house a non-violent drug offender...I would say that your thoughts are at least consistently misguided.

Of course disco found that funny, as he is another divider.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
See, your biased politicizing of the issue sort of lessens the importance of what you are bringing.

:laughing: Remember that statement the next time you forget. Remember hoosierdaddy, the biased, politicizing tea partier?

"Only in liberal states where the populous actually gives a shit..."

I'm sorry, but after that I can't see much worth in what you provided. More divisive shit, basically. Shit that isn't really the way it is. If you think this is a political issue, you'd be dead wrong.
Ever heard of Montana, one of 16 states that recognize mmj as legal? They've only enjoyed mmj for the last 6 years. Montanans decided to elect Republican majorities in 2010. Guess what? Republican, Montana lawmakers plan to repeal mmj.:D

NYT - Questions about who really benefits from medical marijuana are now gripping Montana. In the Legislature, a resurgent Republican majority elected last fall is leading a drive to repeal the six-year-old voter-approved statute permitting the use of marijuana for medical purposes, which opponents argue is promoting recreational use and crime. If repeal forces succeed — the House last month voted strongly for repeal, and the Senate is now considering it — Montana would be the first to recant among the 15 states and the District of Columbia that have such laws.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/06/us/06marijuana.html?_r=1
You can say it's not political all you want. But you'd have a hard time suggesting that Republican lawmakers stop short of attempting to regulate morality.

And here's a general rule of thumb...

ANY polarizing issue will be politicized by lawmakers. Just like gay marriage, gays in the military, public unions etc.

You may find yourself in Erlanger and at the mercy of some bubba cop, but that is hardly the way things are as a whole.
According-to-you isn't a reflection of the way things are. You're a part of the whole but you're not a barometer. You're about as wing-oriented as they come.

You do realize that there are bigger places in KY than Newport, yes?
I do. But the poster reflected tolerance vs intolerance. Tolerance is something you don't generally subscribe. You might be a pot smoker but you've reflected intolerance at IC for years.

And if you think that the revenues from fines and such override what it costs to house a non-violent drug offender...I would say that your thoughts are at least consistently misguided.
I get it. If you can't debate who's on first, you go left-field.

Of course disco found that funny, as he is another divider.
The only thing funny here is your denial. Every political party has it's fallout. And one party is known as the bastion of moral intolerance.

Knocking your political sensitivities isn't personal. I could care less what lever you pull in the voter booth. But trying to spin the moral police as inconsequential and our reaction as divisive ignores reality.