What's new

Kentucky Assembly Ends Marijuana Arrests

gramma watt

http://www.state-journal.com/news/simple_article/4994024

March 6, 2011

The Kentucky General Assembly passed and the Governor signed into law, the Criminal Code Reform legislation, HB 463. The new law changes marijuana possession from a class A misdemeanor to a Class B. It further reduces the jail time a person can be sentenced to under a Class B misdemeanor from 90 days to 45 days. The Senate changed the bill further by adding more exemptions to a rule that limits when a police officer can make an arrest. Under certain conditions, officers will have to issue a citation rather than make an arrest.
The bill requires officers to issue a simple citation when they witness the commission of a misdemeanor except in cases involving violence in which the defendant poses a risk of danger to himself or others, weapons possession, sexual abuse or failing to comply with an officer's instructions.
As reported in the blog, 'Marion County Line', "Possession of marijuana will remain a misdemeanor but police will no longer arrest people for misdemeanors unless they also have a weapon, are physically threatening, driving drunk, or having sex."
The significant paragraphs in the Senate bill are as follows-
(1) (a) KRS 431.005 to the contrary notwithstanding, and except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this subsection, a peace officer shall may issue a citation instead of making an arrest for a misdemeanor committed in his or her presence, if there are reasonable grounds to believe that the person being cited will appear to answer the charge. The citation shall provide that the defendant shall appear within a designated time.
(b) A peace officer may make an arrest instead of issuing a citation for a misdemeanor committed in his or her presence if the misdemeanor is:
1. A violation of KRS Chapter 508 (assault, terroristic threatening, stalking, etc.), 510 (sex abuse, sodomy, indecent exposure, etc.), or 527 (weapons charges), or KRS 189A.010 (DUI);
2. An offense in which the defendant poses a risk of danger to himself, herself, or another person; or
3. An offense in which the defendant refuses to follow the peace officer's reasonable instructions.
Regarding the DUI provision... Will driving while smoking pot trigger an exception to the new law and result in an arrest? Looks like the answer is no:
"A peace officer may make an arrest ... if the violation is: ... KRS 189A.010," which states:
(1) A person shall not operate or be in physical control of a motor vehicle anywhere in this state: ...
(d) While the presence of a controlled substance listed in subsection (12) of this section is detected in the blood...
(12) The substances applicable to a prosecution under subsection (1)(d) of this section are:
(a) Any Schedule I controlled substance except marijuana;

At long last, significant reform and steps in the right direction. It is encouraging to note that State Senator Gerald Neal called the bill, "an important first step". The legislators during the floor debate also discussed passing a Phase 2 bill next year. On top of that President Obama remarked recently that legalizing marijuana was an "issue worth debating".
Perhaps, if we call and write and encourage our legislators to pass a medical marijuana bill for Kentucky, one of our legislators will have the courage to do so during the next session. The time to start pleading our case is now!

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
Makes me more comfortable driving across the river.
It's still a far way away from Ohio's minor misdemeanor status for anything less than 100 grams, but it's a step in the right direction.

U4ic

As reported in the blog, 'Marion County Line', "Possession of marijuana will remain a misdemeanor but police will no longer arrest people for misdemeanors unless they also have a weapon, are physically threatening, driving drunk, or having sex."

So no sex while holding guys/gals....HA.... Thats weird....

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran

So no sex while holding guys/gals....HA.... Thats weird....
no but or mouth sex..
it's fine for vag. though

rhyder

"driving drunk or having sex"

remember to have sex at home folks!!!

it least when smokin bud in kentucky LOLOL

I

idoreallytry

well thats a step at least forward good luck neighbors,,,peace

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
I will never visit KY.

i think there are still several sodomy states..
blue laws.
it's illegal to fly a cow in a hotair balloon in kansas.

wanna read some shit?
go down to your local courthouse and read the public records from the turn o' the century.
had to do this alot a a land surveyor. funniest shit ever BRAINED off to much bubble literally rolling on the basement of a courthouse laughing at the testimony of a pig farmer who found a neighbor boning one of his pigs!!!
the spelling alone was priceless

G

Guest 18340

Go Kentucky! Now if only Florida would do the same. Anything more than 20grams is felony in the sunshine state...

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Listen officer, I don't know what your problem is....but I was ONLY fucking a horse while driving and smoking weed. BTW, I always have my safety on my gat while I'm driving....so we're cool right?

Baba Ku

Veteran
I think we will find the that verbiage is specific about arrests made for pot possession if sexual abuse, including sodemy are involved. One would think it moot at that juncture...

The money saved from not housing non-violent drug possessions is going go towards help centers and treatment for those who need it. THIS is the best part of the bill, and what the rest of the world needs to emulate.