What's new

Kelp Powder as a fertilizer

Cuddles

I´m currently looking into kelp as a supplement for myself and browsing through Amamzon reviews. I just came across one user review which reads as follows:

I mix the kelp powder into my seed starter growing medium for my veggie garden. Once the seedlings have sprouted, I mix 1TBSP with a gallon of water and it serves as a well-rounded fertilizer for all of my vegetables and strawberry plants and provides them with a well-balanced meal full of micronutrients not found in commercial fertilizers.
https://www.amazon.com/Starwest-Bot...show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

I thought this is really interesting and thought I´d share it.
Now, I´ve no idea if this has ever been discussed here on ICmag before but has anyone ever tried this method for weed plants - indoor or outdoor and with what kind of results?

Cuddles

just found another review:
I use this for speedy seed germination and as a foliar feeding spray for my organic gardens...1 tbs to a gallon of water and let it steep for 24 hours put in a sprayer bottle (use at dusk) to avoid burning of leaves...it lasted an entire gardening season

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Kelp, especially Nodosum kelp, is loaded with PGRs. Plant Growth Regulators help your plant much the same way as gibberellic acid does minus the intermodal stretching. I buy a 50 lb bag every year. And It's good for animals (and us). Magical stuff.

Cuddles

thanks, I´m making a note for the future :) In the meantime I´m gonna order some capsules for myself. And I´ll just use the Hesi coco for my current soil grow.

xerb

Agreed, Kelp meal is the BOMB !
and the 50 pound sack is the way to go, about $30 locally.
Add a couple tablespoons to 5 gallons of water, let sit for a 1/2 day. I feed the soil every 7-10 days with it.

While you're at it, get a 50 pound sack of organic alfalfa pellets at the feed store for about $15.
Same recipe, this will keep the soil and your plants very happy! Combine the two for a truly wicked brew. XERB

Cuddles

Add a couple tablespoons to 5 gallons of water, let sit for a 1/2 day. I feed the soil every 7-10 days with it.

While you're at it, get a 50 pound sack of organic alfalfa pellets at the feed store for about $15.
Same recipe, this will keep the soil and your plants very happy! Combine the two for a truly wicked brew. XERB

I wasn´t sure these would be available over here but I googled and they are. Do you actually use both of them? Indoors too?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I add it to my super soil for indoor plants. In my holes outdoor and in tea for my veggies. Like most organic amendments, you can't hurt your plant with it.

G

There is a variety of Kelp which is very high Potash. I use it as a foliar spray when plants are in pre-flower and weekly in-flower. It comes in water soluble flakes. "Acadian" is its brand name (it's from Canada).

Cuddles

This is really cool and helpful info for my future grows. I wonder how it would work in coco brick grows and whether or not it could have saved my first failed attempt at it last year.

Cuddles

so what´s the best way to use these two - do you put them in the same container or separate ones and feed the plants separately as well?

xerb

I typically use a couple tablespoons of each in a 5 gallon bucket and let it sit overnight.
Pour it on the soil. Each time you get to the bottom there will be lots of organic material - mostly alfalfa.
I try to spread it on several pots this time, several others the next time.

This is a great way to keep the soil happy. My worms stay in their pots! XERB

Cuddles

I don´t use worms. to be honest I wouldn´t know off hand where to get them from. But I presume these are optional, right?
My kelp capsules arrived the other day. I´m gonna open one up and dissolve the kelp in some water in time for the next water and feeding time. Mine´s only a little baby still, hardly any grow. I´m hoping this will help it get bigger faster.