What's new

Keif's Micro Medical Cabinet

Penguin59

Hey Keif! Super cool looking grow dude! I have a few questions because i was trying to design a cab that looks identical to urs man.

Did you just add a hole cutter to your drill & drill holes in the floor for intake & how did u install that fan on the top?

Also how does the cab do with respect to light leaks? Do the doors stop the light coming out pretty well?

Keep growing strong brother,
Penguin

yo keif. you gotta stop playin around with those 1" holes. i tried doing that, but comparing the surface area difference between a 1" square cut and a 1" diameter circle cut is quite a difference, obviously. your cabinet is square. go with a square hole in the floor. that's what i did and mine will stay anywhere from 3-6* above ambient. if you'd like some detailed pictures of my cab since ours are so similar, i can show you what all i have done to it. most of it is in my thread. if you need any pictures, ask and i'll get em posted up.

also, penguin, the cab as-is does horribly with light leaks. however, with a few quick additions you can make it light-proofable. you have to get hinges that mount to the outside (for my cab and keif's cab, the hinges are mounted on the top of the doors in the corner, vertically) and then, well at least this is what i did, weatherstrip the sides, tops and bottoms (if necessary, depending on how you mount your doors) and then for the middle, there are options:
you can add a vertical plank in the middle and then put weatherstripping on the doors or the plank and get some better magnets for the doors.
you can cut half of a rubber-ish tube (i forget exactly what it's called...look in my grow thread i believe there are pics from someone else) and then just make sure you shut your doors in a certain order
shit, you could even get new doors cut and stain em and barely have any space to worry about. you could go the extra mile and use a router to make grooves for the weatherstripping to go in for an extra smooth look...just make sure everything touches!

uhhh if you can't understand what i just wrote, it's because i have eaten pot cookies and have been smoking pot on top of that. let me know what clarification you need...

Keif

TheHappyGuy--
Unfortuantely, I will be keeping the shitty 1" holes. I am about to add 10 or so more... Can you get me pics of how you did yours? That would be awesome for reference.

The only problem I have with doing as you said, is the fact that I have only a drill.. so I am making do with what I have.

I may need to break out the 2 1/4 hole saw, but I wanted to keep everything looking good in there and I like how the holes go in lines now between the pots... im OCD i know..

Let me know if you have any suggestions based on that!

Penguin--
The light proofing of this cab is a straight up bitch.

I have made it pretty good with duct tape flaps and the fan is up at the top mounted on the shotty cardboard backing.

The cab does have a lot of potential when things are thought through, originally, I had my light mounted to a shelf and then that could be raised/lowered depending.

This didnt work to well so I got some hooks and mounted them on the top.

Thanks for stopping by!

TheHappyGuy--
Unfortuantely, I will be keeping the shitty 1" holes. I am about to add 10 or so more... Can you get me pics of how you did yours? That would be awesome for reference.

The only problem I have with doing as you said, is the fact that I have only a drill.. so I am making do with what I have.

I may need to break out the 2 1/4 hole saw, but I wanted to keep everything looking good in there and I like how the holes go in lines now between the pots... im OCD i know..

Let me know if you have any suggestions based on that!
you can get a handheld hacksaw at a local walmart/home depot/lowe's for like $10. get one, then use your drill more like a spiral cutter to make little corners so that you can fit your saw in. if you need more clarification, i can help you. it's very simple, just hard to communicate. that's how i made this hole: (first picture is for reference, the thing the books are sitting on top of is covering up the hole)

if i were to make the underside of it black, it would probably let out very little light. alas, i am lazy.

i have two fans. one on the left side, which i cut just with a hack saw, and the one on the right which is my real exhaust for the whole cab. i made that one by drawing an outline and then using the drill to make a bunch of little holes and connect them all one by one...then sanded it down.

anyway here is a picture of the new hinges i got for it...sorry for it being sideways. my light proofing was a little shoddy, but i'm sure you get the idea...besides, it's not like it matters when i put the cover on it. no light gets through, even with all the lights off and it on. it's nearly silent, i keep an air purifier on next to it for extra noise and an excuse for it. the black blanket just makes it look like a regular piece of furniture.

get back at me if you need more advice! our cabs are very similar, so i have plenty. besides my hack saw, i only have a drill. :) things are possible, just need the courage to fuck up!

Keif

Sweet bro!

thanks for the pics +rep.

I think I will try this if swiss cheezing the bottom doesn't work!

Do you still use that shotty cardboard backing?

It seems to hold my fans up fine, just curious because I almost bought some laminate.

Thanks again man, I really appreciate your help here.

grouchy

Are you going to use a carbon scrubber at all? What are you going to do when they start to smell?

Sweet bro!

thanks for the pics +rep.

I think I will try this if swiss cheezing the bottom doesn't work!

Do you still use that shotty cardboard backing?

It seems to hold my fans up fine, just curious because I almost bought some laminate.

Thanks again man, I really appreciate your help here.

actually, i don't. i replaced the shitty back with some real wood. bought it at lowe's and had em cut it to size there. i used the cardboard backing for one grow and it caused me nothing but trouble so i got something sturdy!

Keif

Grouchy- I have one but I am holding off installing it until I fix my heat issues. It is made out of a 120mm fan spacer filled with activated carbon between two carbon filter sheets used for home air filters. This is then sandwiched between two of my noctua fans.

I am not too concerned as I live in LA and my appt. room mates blaze (they dont know about the grow) but our place always stinks like buds anyways. The only thing I really will care about using it for is when my parents come out to visit ;).

TheHappyGuy--
What kind of trouble did you run into ?? Just curious, I could always get a piece cut.

Thanks!

the cardboard simply doesn't hold weight for shit. it's also not very easy to airproof. it would just be easier to get a piece cut...my main chamber was 24" wide and they sell good pieces of wood at home depot or lowe's (like thick pine/oak/whatnot) for decent prices that are 24" wide. works quite well. screw it on with some weather stripping on the side that is going to your cab and you have a sealed back. i think this would be a worthwhile upgrade. while it may not seem like it matters now, you don't want to have to re-engineer your cab mid-grow because you can't airproof your back of your cab. i wish i had done it the first time. cheers...keep asking questions as you need em.

Keif

I actually have it nailed every 1/4 inch and then I caulked around the inside of the cab.

I am going to wait till I have any really problems with it. For now, it works ;)

Thanks again bro.

Keif

For sure! I am going to throw more clones in. for now I'm letting these bush out. I have topped them both and they are loving it.

Keif

These are club clones originally from a mother at Oaksterdam University and I bought them at Canna Care Relief in West LA. Are you in the area?

Keif

You have a bunch here!

Back to the cab--
I drilled about 9-12 more new holes today (sorry I really cant remember, today was patient apreciation day at CCR and I got a bunch of free nug.)

The temps are now down to 80.5 and this morning the temps were 88.9 before I drilled.

I think all I need to do now is trim up the hood and things will be fine!

Updates come later on today!

Keif

So temps are down to about 80-82 TOPS.

Here are some shots of today, day 16. I just topped the OG a couple days ago as it loves to stretch, the MK is bush as hell after its top. Pics are below!

Day 15 Both:
picture.php

Day 15 MK:
picture.php

Day 15 OG:
picture.php

hey man, your temps are in a much better area now. they are right about where mine are typically since it is still kind of warm here in the midwest and my room stays warmer...when winter hits, it will be perfect temps for me. now you should work on humidity. your plants will bush more if you have good humidity in there. how long do you plan on vegging for? also dude i just can't help but tell you how much better those intakes would be if they were rectangular in shape. your intake would probably double.

Keif

I know the intake would be better I need to figure out how to rig a tray up to sit the plants on. I want to veg for a few more weeks and lst the og all the way around the pot. I just cut two clones today and dipped in clonex then put them in rapid rooters. Not covered but I mist them all day.

I plan on doing some yeast and sugar water co2 injection soon so that should help.

Its cool here today temps are 79° in the box. I may modify the light tonight. I found out the reflector unbolts. Ill see what temps are then. I need to get this ready for a 250w flower bulb.

All errors are from med posting on my phone...... Haha

EDIT: I removed the reflector portion and temps are down to 78.1 from 80.6 before the mod. This should be god with the 250w im stoked.

Last edited: