What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Keeping Pure Sativa Mothers

LostTribe

Premium user
So I haven't seen much discussion over here at the ACE forums regarding keeping mother plants that are pure sativa. I normally keep a few bonsai mom's around on 24/0.

I know that Sativa's will probably require more pruning during the mothering process under 24 but am considering switching over to 18/6 although I prefer to keep the lights on 24/0. Any one else keeping mom's of OTH? Zamaldelica?

corky1968

Veteran
24 hours is extreme for pure sativas.

Don't be surprised if some plants go hermie, etc. on you.

The max light, I've ever given a pure sativa is 14 hours.

For flowering I go down in the end to 11 hours for the last 2 weeks.

It's not like they will flower with 16 hours or more of daylight.
So I wouldn't go much higher than that if I were you.

We'll see what others have to say about that.

ValleyKush

Veteran
Yeah I personaly dont like to put anything other then rooting clones under 24 and even then I generaly use 18. I think the sleep cycle is more important then alot of people want to believe.

That said, you should be fine at 24, but I have no long term experience so idk. I would just drop your cycle down to save money on power if anything...

RC_Colas

Veteran
Hey lostribe,

I second the recommendation by corky1968, this is exactly the light regime I use:)

Saludos

RC_Colas

24 hours is extreme for pure sativas.

Don't be surprised if some plants go hermie, etc. on you.

The max light, I've ever given a pure sativa is 14 hours.

For flowering I go down in the end to 11 hours for the last 2 weeks.

It's not like they will flower with 16 hours or more of daylight.
So I wouldn't go much higher than that if I were you.

We'll see what others have to say about that.

So just to get the question out of the way...

Don't give Sativa mother/father plants 18hrs of light even 16hrs correct? That means one will need a separate room for these from the indica/hybrids that need at least 18hrs???

Thanks.

corky1968

Veteran
So just to get the question out of the way...

Don't give Sativa mother/father plants 18hrs of light even 16hrs correct? That means one will need a separate room for these from the indica/hybrids that need at least 18hrs???

Thanks.

I've never given pure sativas more than 14 hours. Your probably safe with 16 hours if you want to keep it vegetating.

I'm just saying that anything over 16 hours is probably not needed to keep either sativa or indica
in vegetative mode. Even indicas will normally stay in vegetative mode with 16 or more hours.
Which is why they say go 12/12 to flower. Autoflowering strains are excluded of course from the
above statements. I've read they flower no matter what.

Hope this helps.

LostTribe

Premium user
I have other indica plants that will have to go in the same chamber as the sativa moms so they will have to be on 18/6 then. I normally run 24/0 and have never had any problems with it at all on my indicas and hybrids.

nksv

great question!
just started bonsaing some ace strains' mums and dads. Zamaldelica is one of them - two dads left as the lady auto flowered on me. They are under 24 only as lights out is pretty cold here atm - however didn't realize 24 is a no no for pure sats.
The Zamaldelica dads are tough as - super carefree, clone well etc. Orient Express is so far nice and easy. Banghi Haze was good but I had a frustrating time trying to clone so I am flowering her out - bonsai Bangi Haze micro in flower, looks wonderful, super branchy! The one I had been having the most problem with in the Nep Jam - they are popping balls out in veg, yellowing and looking sad when everyone else seems to fair well. I thought the Zamaldelica would be the hardest to maintain but they've been a joy mostly.
So I am with you on the bonsai mother advice.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I culled my Nepal Jam males, throwing pollen in 16/8, lol.

Fouled up the cycle on more than a few female plants in veg,
heavy pre flowering by them, hard to root cuttings, a mess.

Two Zamaldelica mums in veg for a couple years, one pre flowers
regularly, but is managed with thoughtful pruning.

Went from 16/8 to 18/6 keeps my veg plants in check, as
some are WLD too.

Dr.King

Veteran
So I haven't seen much discussion over here at the ACE forums regarding keeping mother plants that are pure sativa. I normally keep a few bonsai mom's around on 24/0.

I know that Sativa's will probably require more pruning during the mothering process under 24 but am considering switching over to 18/6 although I prefer to keep the lights on 24/0. Any one else keeping mom's of OTH? Zamaldelica?

Done alot of em from Ace alone. Only ever used 18/6. Never heard Dubi saying you need to keep them on 15 hours max but that's me. I have been keeping my Zamal on 18/6 for over a year now and no hermie or autoflowering. Dubi and his Crew work very hard making sure their genetics are in order so they don't herm or have defects. Only reason I use 24/0 is for fresh clones then once they root well I switch to 18/6. If you are planning to run a strain such as Double Thai or something that may go over day 200 I am sure Dubi will stop in and fill us all in. Good luck to everyone.

nksv

So is 24/0 bad for the pure sats? I have mums and clones in same box so I'd like to keep it at 24.
And yeah, what the hell is up with those NepJams? I had 4 males, all throw balls and would pollen bukkake if I didn't cull. NO females as yet :(

corky1968

Veteran
So is 24/0 bad for the pure sats? I have mums and clones in same box so I'd like to keep it at 24.
And yeah, what the hell is up with those NepJams? I had 4 males, all throw balls and would pollen bukkake if I didn't cull. NO females as yet :(

You don't need 24 hour light on for pure Sativas.

I mentioned this earlier in this thread with a warning that 24 hour light on could be a problem.

But nobody listens to me anymore. :biggrin:

Hint: Sativas in their natural environment don't get 24 hours light on and they are much more light sensitive that Indicas.

My "moms" are alive roughly 6-8 weeks, from clone to chop. They are cloned, once rooted they go into 2 gallon pots. 6-8 weeks later they are cloned, chopped, and the cycle begins again. I keep them on 24/0 throughout the entire process. Granted, I've been growing ace seeds for only a yr or so, but I've been doing this with double thai, zamaldelica, bangi haze, malawi, golden tiger, panama, and another land race thai I have. I also have malawi/pck, zamal hash, and Nepal jam. But they are not really sativa and all of them are fem seeds. I don't understand why too much light would cause a problem

Also, on a side note. My plants look much happier when I removed every other lamp from my 8 lamp t5 light.

corky1968

Veteran
How many clones/ cuttings does one motherplant produce?

Siever

There's many of variables involved.

Some types produces less branches that can be made into clones.

Also, a plant potted in a large pot will produce more clones than the same type in a small pot normally.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Lost Tribe,

You don't need to use a 24/0 photoperiod to keep your sativa mothers indoors.
I feel this kind of extreme photoperiods without darkness can be stressful for the mothers, maybe they won't flower but they will weaker and more sensitive to other problems like plagues.

You will be surprised, but you can keep your oldtimer's haze mothers alive in perpetual growing stage using very small pots and with not so much light intensity, even with fluorescent lighting.

You can keep sativa strains like Malawi, Golden Tiger, Panama, Tikal, Oldtimer's Haze and its crosses, Congo, Bangi Haze, Guatemala .... with a standard 18/6 growing photoperiod without having any problem, only certain Zamaldelica and Orient Express phenos could auto flower indoors if they are kept in too small pots (especially males).

Hope it helps with your doubts.