What's new

Kangativa's 2010-11 Outdoor Grow

Kangativa

Veteran
mind my asking what sort of selection you do mate with respect to numbers, do you work on reducing your numbers by or to a certain %, ie from 100-10 (select only best 10%) or do you reduce to only 1-2 individuals no matter how many you started with?

That will depend on the strain mate....if say like Shanti's, it is possible to have a few different pheno's then they get culled less.
With IBL's and landraces then they get culled more.....with this lot I will keep some in small pots that I dont think i will put in the ground and then sample them at a later date, if something is super strong then i will keep it. With the males I will store all pollen, then dry them out and ( I hate this part ) smoke them.
I dont really like pots but I can put them on a timer, so I dont have to worry about watering them.

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Looking great kanga bro, inspiring stuff that is kicking me in the arse to get a seed popping now it's spring but you wouldn't know it is spring here in SA.
Tagged this thread up for the cranking show that's coming this way :biggrin:
:smoke out:

Kangativa

Veteran
Looking great kanga bro, inspiring stuff that is kicking me in the arse to get a seed popping now it's spring but you wouldn't know it is spring here in SA.
Tagged this thread up for the cranking show that's coming this way :biggrin:
:smoke out:

Thanx mate.....Oh well we all know that you will get a nice dry summer and spring wont be to far away.
I like going to SA.....used to spend a lot of time at Penong ( cactus ) during my younger days. I actually drove across the Nullabour when it was dirt just to go surfing.
Spent a bit of time at Coffin bay national park as well and a few other places.
Ohh well mate I hope I can make the show entertaining for you....as long as all stay's safe I will be happy:)

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
That will depend on the strain mate....if say like Shanti's, it is possible to have a few different pheno's then they get culled less.
With IBL's and landraces then they get culled more.....with this lot I will keep some in small pots that I dont think i will put in the ground and then sample them at a later date, if something is super strong then i will keep it. With the males I will store all pollen, then dry them out and ( I hate this part ) smoke them.
I dont really like pots but I can put them on a timer, so I dont have to worry about watering them.

you should treat the part of/all of each male with CS or STS, reverse them to females, let them flower out and make bud and then smoke that, it'll be like smoking any female effectively.

Kangativa

Veteran
you should treat the part of/all of each male with CS or STS, reverse them to females, let them flower out and make bud and then smoke that, it'll be like smoking any female effectively.

Lol....what dont ya think I have enough work already ???

Mate if some of these strains are anything like my MM or Mex, they wont reverse.....I have a CS kit here that makes 2lt's of the stuff and I have all but grown them in it and no luck.....yet with a lot of the new hybrids all they have to do is look at it and they reverse. A long time a go I even experimented with GB Acid and all it did was make them go all weired on that branch.
Honestly mate playing around with fem seeds is not my trip, I have been given a few as freebies and I will grow them out at some stage.....but I am a old fashioned grower and I like males, the only thing I would like is a thc tester then bye, bye smoking males..lol

Squiggles

Honestly mate playing around with fem seeds is not my trip, I have been given a few as freebies and I will grow them out at some stage.....but I am a old fashioned grower and I like males, the only thing I would like is a thc tester then bye, bye smoking males..lol

:respect:

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
wish i had the numbers you have so i had the choice of culling the ones that were not completely up to par :)

Kangativa

Veteran
wish i had the numbers you have so i had the choice of culling the ones that were not completely up to par :)

Maybe mate.....Remember with smaller #'s you have less work AND less stress.....Thats the bit I dont like.
Trouble is you have to grow # to find the right one or two or three... You seem to be choosing right by your pics:)
The good thing also with less # is you can concentrate on that strain more, log it and study it and by taking a few clones you can cross it as well to something else. With lots you gotta take a lot of clones to do the same thing........Hey mate sorry if I am rambling but I just had a puff and it did me....lol

shroomyshroom

Veteran
Maybe mate.....Remember with smaller #'s you have less work AND less stress.....Thats the bit I dont like.
Trouble is you have to grow # to find the right one or two or three... You seem to be choosing right by your pics:)
The good thing also with less # is you can concentrate on that strain more, log it and study it and by taking a few clones you can cross it as well to something else. With lots you gotta take a lot of clones to do the same thing........Hey mate sorry if I am rambling but I just had a puff and it did me....lol

not rambling at all mate :)

I agree totally with your logic but would still like to be able to pic 2 out of 100 instead of 20 :)

I need some country property so i can do a big breeding project. I can only do 10 at a time and hope i find what i am looking for. So far i havent had a problem with getting males. I have had around 85% males since i began growing. Kangativa you always have a good insight on things. I cant wait to see what you do this summer!

Kangativa

Veteran
I need some country property so i can do a big breeding project. I can only do 10 at a time and hope i find what i am looking for. So far i havent had a problem with getting males. I have had around 85% males since i began growing. Kangativa you always have a good insight on things. I cant wait to see what you do this summer!

Wow mate 85% males is a lot. I always find if you start a seed in a pot that has at least 4 inches or more depth helps.

Yeah mate getting away from people is a must to be able to grow safetly and in a area where the steel birds dont fly.....It means sacrificing a lot of things in your life.....like to far from the surf !!!

shroomyshroom

Veteran
Wow mate 85% males is a lot. I always find if you start a seed in a pot that has at least 4 inches or more depth helps.

Yeah mate getting away from people is a must to be able to grow safetly and in a area where the steel birds dont fly.....It means sacrificing a lot of things in your life.....like to far from the surf !!!

I made the choice when i have the cash to do so I am gonna get myself and my partner some property far far away from ppl as possible... The farm life is the only life for me... well when I can afford it it will be.. got to make sure I can keep a roof over mine and missus head first :gday:

Kangativa

Veteran
I made the choice when i have the cash to do so I am gonna get myself and my partner some property far far away from ppl as possible... The farm life is the only life for me... well when I can afford it it will be.. got to make sure I can keep a roof over mine and missus head first :gday:

Good idea mate.... I am lucky that my missus luv's it here. Not the isolation so much, just the country and our home:)

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
It's a struggle sometimes but it's worth it. Getting work in remote areas can be difficult. It makes you strong and resilient. I could go on but would expose my location which I think has already being shown enough. I think someone already knows where I am.

shroomyshroom

Veteran
It's a struggle sometimes but it's worth it. Getting work in remote areas can be difficult. It makes you strong and resilient. I could go on but would expose my location which I think has already being shown enough. I think someone already knows where I am.

your pics do make not to much of a challenge :) but I haven't worked it out just yet... needles to say you to live in an area id give everything i own to live :) just beautiful mate :gday: