What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

k.i.s.s. ph test strips

You are just plain WRONG! Do a search and see how many threads there are concerning problems with pH pens.
I can buy a roll of pH paper for about 12 bucks and it lasts for 6 months. In 5 yrs i've never regreted not buying a pen and i've never had a pH problem. I just don't understand why people bother with pens.

read the 2 posts above yours. That is why we deal with pens.

I've used the damn solution color-coded mess. It'll work but it's for people who aren't picky and don't give a damn about fully accurate results. I have a $50 pH pen for over a year now. It needs calibrating every 4 months. It's not hard. Take care of your pens and they will last you a long time.

One Love 731

Veteran
So I'm on my 3rd pen. The wife did a whole run with the gh liquid tests and did an amazing job. To each his own. I do know a faulty pen will ruin a whole run, always good to have both. I keep strips, liquid, a fresh pen and cal solution around. When you get things dialed you know exactly how much of what, I always check my solution after mixing but rarely need to adjust it. 1

cody2white

ghost in training
Veteran
There's a lot of good info in here, and thank you everyone who contributed! I've done the whole pen thing and accidently dropping it in the tank on numerous occasions. Lol im going to trust my gut and go for the general hydroponics ph solution kit. I like the ease of use/storage/maintance/accuracy and the cost. If it doesn't pan out I might shell out the dough for a pen. Until then :tiphat:

Z

zen_trikester

my issue with the solutions is that the test color is manipulated by the color of the liquid being tested. For a clear liquid they are accurate but otherwise not so much. I do use my pen mostly, but since it is a cheap one I do compare it occasionally to the solution kit using tap water. I know what my tap normally reads at, but it does change from time to time. When batteries get low it doesn't read accurate and mine doesn't have an auto-off for some reason.

G

Guest 18340

my issue with the solutions is that the test color is manipulated by the color of the liquid being tested. For a clear liquid they are accurate but otherwise not so much. I do use my pen mostly, but since it is a cheap one I do compare it occasionally to the solution kit using tap water. I know what my tap normally reads at, but it does change from time to time. When batteries get low it doesn't read accurate and mine doesn't have an auto-off for some reason.
Whether I'm testing a mix of Lucas formula, a mix of Maxibloom or water straight from the spigot, the color is always the same for the indicated ph range regardless of color of the liquid.
The moment a drop of the ph testing liquid hits the purple color of the Lucas formula it instantly turns yellow. Just as yellow as if I ph'd my water to the level of the Lucas formula. Color of liquid is a non issue.

Noobian

Green is Gold
Veteran
This is what I use;

Never needs batteries or recalibration and is dead on reliable every time.
Not as precise as a pen, but after using it for awhile you'll know exactly what those color change equates to.

Yeah that stuff is amazing, haven't had any pH problems since I began using it

Noobian

Green is Gold
Veteran
Whether I'm testing a mix of Lucas formula, a mix of Maxibloom or water straight from the spigot, the color is always the same for the indicated ph range regardless of color of the liquid.
The moment a drop of the ph testing liquid hits the purple color of the Lucas formula it instantly turns yellow. Just as yellow as if I ph'd my water to the level of the Lucas formula. Color of liquid is a non issue.

Evlme the color is thrown off from the nutes though making it hard to get an accurate reading sometimes. I know it took me some time getting used to trying to discern whether the water I had just dumped a tblsp of molasses into was orange or blue, but after a few tries I got the hang of it. The worst thing I've used so far is mixing maxibloom liquid in the water. That stuff stains anything it touches red so it's hard to tell if your solution is too acid or not. Again it took some time to get the hang of it cause when I would add the test solution it was almost the same color as before I added it. It does change though you just have to have a subtle eye for seeing it. Plain water is the easiest and the maxibloom liquid kelp is the hardest to see in my experience.

cody2white

ghost in training
Veteran
Alright folks I went out and bought the GH ph test kit. And IMO it works great. I would definitely recommend this product as its badass and will last me a long ph trouble free time. :good:

Its really easy to learn too. Test water, add Nutes, test water, ph as needed, test water. Done.

I wrote down how much of each I needed and now I can literally do it blind folded. Lol

KISS everyone!