What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Just Pullin' Weeds...

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
To grow awesome melon you must keep the roots warm as possible, very consistent water schedule, and a lot of fertilizer.

Black plastic and drip tape or soaker hose, you will have sweet delicious melons with little hassle.

The problem with buying melons is they are picked unripe then shipped a few 1000 miles etc

Giving the melon time to ripen on the vine allows the flavor to develop. Just like cannabis. And tomatoes.

For an interesting melon, the variety AfterShock, is a personal sized melon and has an intense flavor of melon bubblegum. Original and outstanding!

Buying quality seeds makes a big difference as well. For some killer heirloom melons check out Baker seeds. Don't use them for main crop just try a plant sometime. Sub-freakin-lime!

just like with high quality cultivar type cannabis

Crazy Chester

To grow awesome melon you must keep the roots warm as possible, very consistent water schedule, and a lot of fertilizer.

Black plastic and drip tape or soaker hose, you will have sweet delicious melons with little hassle.

The problem with buying melons is they are picked unripe then shipped a few 1000 miles etc

Giving the melon time to ripen on the vine allows the flavor to develop. Just like cannabis. And tomatoes.

For an interesting melon, the variety AfterShock, is a personal sized melon and has an intense flavor of melon bubblegum. Original and outstanding!

Buying quality seeds makes a big difference as well. For some killer heirloom melons check out Baker seeds. Don't use them for main crop just try a plant sometime. Sub-freakin-lime!
You are the man, Lester - thanks so much for your good advice about growing them melons!

"AfterShock" sounds great, BTW.

Unfortunately - I'm screwed, because I can do all of that except for the warm roots.

We think it's a heat wave around here when the temp gets above 70 - Lol.

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You are the man, Lester - thanks so much for your good advice about growing them melons!

"AfterShock" sounds great, BTW.

Unfortunately - I'm screwed, because I can do all of that except for the warm roots.

We think it's a heat wave around here when the temp gets above 70 - Lol.

I hereby pronounce this “the year of the garden”

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Just use black plastic or a tarp and cut holes for the plant. Lay the soaker hose under the plastic. Keeps the roots a good 10+ degrees warmer and that's enough to make a huge difference with produce. Also keeping even moisture in the soil.

Last season I never wanted to see a garden again. Now in the Winter I am getting that familiar itch and the seed catalogs are rolling in.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Phone pics suck but..

It is never too late to clone.. :jump:

picture.php

Crazy Chester

Just use black plastic or a tarp and cut holes for the plant. Lay the soaker hose under the plastic. Keeps the roots a good 10+ degrees warmer and that's enough to make a huge difference with produce. Also keeping even moisture in the soil.

Last season I never wanted to see a garden again. Now in the Winter I am getting that familiar itch and the seed catalogs are rolling in.

All is not lost! You're right, I could do a little experiment this year with black plastic (I see you told me that before, but I had missed it) - that should help the tomatoes ripen faster too! I ran drip lines throughout the beds since installing them - 10-20 minutes of water per 24 hours at a rate of 2.5 gallons per hour - they loved it - first time in a while I didn't have even one tomato crack. Thanks, for the advice.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Nice cup of Mexican coffee going, sprinkled some old hash I found in a jar on the bowl and I must say, it works wow. Smooth, tasty, potent. Cured hash and proper coffee is a helluva way to fire up the day!

That little bud, taken off the plant at 7 weeks is shooting roots out the bottom of the pot. Just used voodoo juice only, about 10 days.

Transplanting today and mixing more soil. Need to set up another 4x4 tent and get the 600 hung in there. Can never have too much R&D space.

Still waiting on my Seedsman order. Getting impatient as I have empty space waiting to go. I actually got seeds quicker out of the back of High Times 30 years ago lol

Looking for some GrowSafe. Hammerhead recommends it as a weekly and I havnt used that product as part of my IPM system. Be nice to source some locally, just not sure I feel like going to the shady grow store and harsh my buzz. Interwebs will surely have it.

Time for the morning stroll. Warm outside at 35 with light breeze.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
And some amendments came in...yeehaw soil mixing day! :jump:

Big bag on bottom is rice hulls. Forgot cover crop so ordered that. Need quite a bit for outdoors too. Should have just gotten a bigger bag. Oh well off we go!

picture.php

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Soil mixing day!

I like to mix 1 cubic foot batches at a time when testing different mixes to ensure a good even mix by hand.

Peat
Ocean Forest
Rice hulls
Perlite

That is the base, mixed thoroughly. Then added the amendments and mixed thoroughly again. I plant directly into the mix.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just some bud shots at lights out.

Nirvana Seeds Grease Monkey

View Image View Image View Image
Impressive :)
And some amendments came in...yeehaw soil mixing day! :jump:

Big bag on bottom is rice hulls. Forgot cover crop so ordered that. Need quite a bit for outdoors too. Should have just gotten a bigger bag. Oh well off we go!

View Image

Soil mixing day!

I like to mix 1 cubic foot batches at a time when testing different mixes to ensure a good even mix by hand.

Peat
Ocean Forest
Rice hulls
Perlite

That is the base, mixed thoroughly. Then added the amendments and mixed thoroughly again. I plant directly into the mix.

View Image View Image View Image View Image View Image

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I'm testing out some different input ratios currently. I usually use pure blend pro and amended promix. I have been playing around and like the results so I'm going to fine tune a mix.

Right now as a basic potting mix we have :

Peat
Ocean forest
Rice hulls
Perlite

Kelp meal
Crustaetion meal
Neem cake/karanja cake
Oyster flour
Gypsum
Basalt
Glacial rock dust

I will surely have to add some tea or top dress as I get going but it is a start.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I have been mixing soil and transplanting like a demon. Culling some non keepers and getting the MAHA plants transplanted and sexed soon. I will get some pics of those up this afternoon.

So far the soil mix is working great and the plants are a picture of health. Still battling the occasional spot of pm here and there but that will be over as soon as all the plants are pruned and sprayed. Sulphur then GrowSafe two days apart.

Then doing a full cleaning. Go eff yourself PM

This plant was transplanted into the new trial mix first, last week and is looking good at week 3.5 of flower.

Unknown # 1114

picture.php