What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Just how important are fan leaves during flowering?

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Leaves absorb light, and hence heat! A empty tent is hotter than a full tent for the same environment. So if you remove too many fan leaves, you may have more heat issues. So the key for me is to be reasonable. For indicas indoor, it's good to remove some leaves to get a good air circulation and to expose some lower buds to light. But too many at once is certainly a stress that we should avoid...

A room full of plants is warmer than without, leafs absorb the radiant energy and radiate it back out again.. I have one half of a large room full at the moment and other half empty waiting for plants, temps and hygrometers on both sides of the room logging conditions 24/7, temps are a degree or almost two warmer on the planted side..relative humidity almost 10% more..meaning AH is far higher..

Last edited:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
A room full of plants is warmer than without, leafs absorb the radiant energy and radiate it back out again.. I have one half of a large room full at the moment and other half empty waiting for plants, temps and hygrometers on both sides of the room logging conditions 24/7, temps are a degree or almost two warmer on the planted side..relative humidity almost 10% more..meaning AH is far higher..
The litmus test would be to swap your meters from the hot side with the cool side. If they track the same, you have something. If not, then it is instrument error, as slight as can be. That, IMHO is the only way to find out.

I do that with my hygros when curing. If one jar seems out of wack, I swap it out with one I believe is on track. If both hygros read the same when swapped out. e.g you swap out the 65% one with a 59% one. If the 65 drops to 59 after swap and, the 59 goes up to 65. The 65% jar needs to be burped more often. That IMHO is the only way to find out...

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I put all my meters together in a box for a day or so to find the average reading one. It has been sat in my living room for years now. Every new batch of meters join it to check their calibration against what I'm calling my standard.

I can't put them on a table or shelf, they have to go in a closed box for a proper comparison. Swapping two meters over requires exact placement and orientation.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I put all my meters together in a box for a day or so to find the average reading one. It has been sat in my living room for years now. Every new batch of meters join it to check their calibration against what I'm calling my standard.

I can't put them on a table or shelf, they have to go in a closed box for a proper comparison. Swapping two meters over requires exact placement and orientation.
I understand what you are saying and, IMHO not germane to this conversation.

What I don't buy from OP ^^ (post 21), is that a room that is properly ventilated (via adequate circ fans) would have a delta between the growing side and the non growing side. That my friend simply doesn't compute, regardless of which way you slice it. The quick swap would alleviate doubt. Folks do need to read, and understand what is posted :tiphat:

PS: Wrt to what you are saying... my hygros vary between 0.2-0.3%. I know this because I compared them (mine), not dissimilar to your method. That variance to me is insignificant in the scheme of things. OTOH 59--->65 = not insignificant. It is a quick and dirty method of verification, that renders results with minutes and, I act accordingly!

PPS: I had a bad batch of seeds this last run. One strain took 3 tries to germ the bean = 2 weeks behind the remaining girls. I kept her in the veg tent until mid transition week. The addition to the flowering tent did not make a delta with my set up. Of course it goes without saying that it all depends where is temp/hygro indicatyors are located. So I don't know what is going on here...

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Sharp on catching that, it may be meter calibration and also the conditions are not homogeneous enough for my liking between front and back and more HAF fans are going to be installed next week and I must get the angles adjusted again on the oscillating fans so I can crank them up some more, gals have been growing ..It is a very big room though, a very very big room, so to get conditions completely homogeneous is next to impossible but yeah Im going to take some elcheapo hygrometers and place them on each box to just to triple check everything..There is already a redundant climate logger keeping watch, and 3 main wet/dry bulb hygrometer/ thermometers. But 100% correct even in a small room or tent, take the hygrometer and move it around and the conditions are very different in the canopy and then 10cm out the canopy different. 100% ..more fans haha..

im not the OP though LOL this was about fan leaf removal and the nature of forum discussions is to go here and there, here, there and back again, dont get your nickers in a knot, its all civil unless the weed ran out generally lets keep it that way..Both of you are right, we are all off topic LOL..In a properly vented room it would not matter if one took leaf out or not according to temps..if taking leaves out gives one temp issues you have bigger issues than missing leaves.

But yeah im just a pleb, still learning...some leave every leaf on and pull off dank heavy crops with no issues and I want to learn from them and saving labor on that would be a big bonus.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Nah! We're cool. Your post was fine, it was f-e's that was out of place and not germane to the discussion at hand. One needs to remember most us are ripped when we are participating here :tiphat: