What's new

Just froze a case of butane

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
I DONT WANNA CALL BULLSHIT BUT.....

Butane Freezing Point: –216°F = –138°C = 135°K

i dont know how the fuck your going to freeze a single can of it let alone a whole case....

i got one for ya, put a nail in the stem of your plant, it will raise the thc, lol

ps...do you realize how much a freezer would cost to get to that point? were talking a big ass industrial type shit

this thread reminds me of the one about Co2 extraction, lol

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Joe I believe there just getting everything below freezing before they start there extraction. There not exactly freezing any butane.

JColtrane

Joe I believe there just getting everything below freezing before they start there extraction. There not exactly freezing any butane.

yup, that's it. sorry I should have clarified things a bit more. all i'm trying to do is get the butane to as low of a temp as I possibly can get with my freezer. My though is it would make for an easier extraction ... perhaps I'm wrong.

I plan to take some pictures tomorrow ....

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
well technically colder temps should make for a better extraction, which is a reason alot of ppl freeze the plant material before they use it

dont know how cold you can get the butane with a reg freezer, would be nice to have temp readings of a bottle in the freezer and one right off the shelf, but i dont knowhowone would go about measuring the temps as room temps would surely affect it

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
I don't really see how freezing the cans of butane will help the extraction. I can see freezing the trim. I know when I do a butane extraction my tubes freeze on the outside and the material is really frozen after an extraction so what good is chilling the butane itself before hand? Seems just blasting a can of butane through a tube of material really chills the material and tubes. So freeze the trim before hand and the extraction process will keep it chilled IMO.

JColtrane

well technically colder temps should make for a better extraction, which is a reason alot of ppl freeze the plant material before they use it

dont know how cold you can get the butane with a reg freezer, would be nice to have temp readings of a bottle in the freezer and one right off the shelf, but i dont knowhowone would go about measuring the temps as room temps would surely affect it

Well it's funny that you mention that, because I always have my heat laser gun next to me at all times when I'm extracting. The reading on the can in the freezer was 8 degrees ... didn't check the reading of room temp ones, but I will and report back.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
i tried freezing the butane, to minus 20, and minus 2, and it doesnt do much i dont think. also tried heating the herb prior to extraction, i think we even tried heating the butane, again, not much results worth mentioning. all these experiments, although fun to do, are just a waste of time. room temperature butane and weed is fine,and butane is not room temperature anyway, its much colder already, freezing, to be a liquid.

JColtrane

^Word. Anyways not to change the subject, but when I purge with my 2 cfm pump ... I put a little dish of water in the chamber with the BHO. At about -28 hg the water will start to boil ... I get that "sexy oil" look, and shit is very stable, and smooth as fuck! Anyone else try this? Maybe one of the guru's can clue me into what's actually happening here .... I love extractions!!!!:jump:

jump117

Veteran
If I understand you correctly,
picture.php
picture.php

all these experiments, although fun to do, are just a waste of time.
I do not think the experiments a waste of time. Even I will not waste words on explaining why I think so.
But in this case it is not about the experiments, but the knowledge and application of physical laws discovered by other experimenters long ago before us. :)

picture.php

The phase state of the gas depends on its pressure and temperature.
At atmospheric pressure gas may be a liquid only at sufficiently low temperatures.
At room temperature, the gas can be a liquid only under pressure.
I don't really see how freezing the cans of butane will help the extraction.
room temperature butane and weed is fine,and butane is not room temperature anyway, its much colder already, freezing, to be a liquid.
At the exit from the can gas pressure decreases and becomes insufficient to maintain the gas in the liquid state, gas is forced to evaporate.
Evaporation of gas lowers the temperature from room temperature to that necessary for the liquid state.
This is accompanied by loss of the solvent and forms a pressure which is very inconvenient to use.
Pre-cooling helps to avoid these troubles and get the same result in a calmer way.
:)

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
sorry Jump, what i meant was, all the experimenting led to no results that showed a reason to change methodology, so in essence, the time was wasted, but i agree, no experimenting is a waste, it must be done in order to know the truth of your querys.

like you said, you get the same results by precooling.

jump117

Veteran
:) Yes, almost no benefit from pre-cooling, but saved gas and nerves, and does not require labor.

I do not know how much pressure develops in the tube with dense packing.
Assume that approximately the same as in the tires of compact car.
Then the boiling point of butane will rise from ambient values -0.5 C ~31F to 17 C~ 63F,
and this will be the operating temperature of butane.
The container is useful to cool at least to this temperature,
if not in the freezer, at least in the refrigerator.
:)

hammalamma

Veteran
I think jump was trying to state that you will waste less butane by by precooling. When liquid butane hits room temp material it becomes a gas. We are not extracting with gas, it is liquid butane that we are using.
What about the temp of the solvent? I know for a fact that heated everclear is a much stronger solvent than cold everclear and cold everclear is more selective than hot everclear. Now I don't know this for sure but I think the same would be true with butane.

jump117

Veteran
hammalamma, :thank you:
What about the temp of the solvent? I know for a fact that heated everclear is a much stronger solvent than cold everclear and cold everclear is more selective than hot everclear. Now I don't know this for sure but I think the same would be true with butane.
The denser packing and (or) filter, the higher pressure develops inside the tube and the higher temperature of the liquid butane.
I also think that the general rule is true for butane - the warmer the solvent (higher pressure), so it is faster, but the greater number of solutes.
Time and temperature - two main parameters of extraction (and cooking lol).

pranoman

If I understand you correctly,
picture.php
picture.php

I do not think the experiments a waste of time. Even I will not waste words on explaining why I think so.
But in this case it is not about the experiments, but the knowledge and application of physical laws discovered by other experimenters long ago before us. :)

picture.php
huge skills!:tiphat:

Друже, даже гостевое сообщение не могу в ответ отправить. если возможно, то черкани ЛС

Latest posts

Latest posts