What's new

Just drove on socal 126hwy 4 miles from fillmore..Millions of plants!

Lady down the road here mortgaged the farm, wishing her the best, yet waiting for the equipment fire sale.

Hopefully she has some specific plans and maybe a buyer in place for the product. I hate to see farmers go under.

Still, long term visionaries will find many holes to be filled in the next decade, pick your niche and concur it,

This is true. If I were in the hemp biz. I think my niche would probably be doing something along the lines of adapting hemp for existing beneficial applications. Which, when you're talking industrial/commercial, often involves creating new regulations for it so it can be industry/governmentally certified as performing to level X in relation to industry and legal requirements. Like standardizing hempcrete densities somehow so you could rate its fire retardance and insulating /thermal isolation value.

And that's just one application (hempcrete) for one industry (construction). There are probably hundreds of other applications where hemp is the ideal material and would completely take over should the regulatory / industry standards issues be resolved.

Waiting to see the new national rules this fall for the 2020 season and beyond, that's even still very fluid right now. I'm in a state that's running off the 2014 farm bill, so technically I'm researching hemp under the university.. 50 states, 50 sets of rules, one nation of confusion..

Is it illegal to manufacture stuff with hemp that you bought somewhere that it's legal to grow? I always thought that even while it was illegal to grow hemp in the US, it was still legal to manufacture stuff with it, or at least to import finished goods made from it, like the scratchy hemp hoodies we wore on college campuses in the 90's. lol

If that's the case then the states that legalize hemp earliest would have a jump on everyone else, once the demand has been created. If I were an activist organization or if there were a hemp producer's organization of some kind, that's what I'd concentrate on - adapting the raw material for existing applications so that the demand can take off like it should, and sooner rather than later.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Is it illegal to manufacture stuff with hemp that you bought somewhere that it's legal to grow? I always thought that even while it was illegal to grow hemp in the US, it was still legal to manufacture stuff with it, or at least to import finished goods made from it, like the scratchy hemp hoodies we wore on college campuses in the 90's. lol

If that's the case then the states that legalize hemp earliest would have a jump on everyone else, once the demand has been created. If I were an activist organization or if there were a hemp producer's organization of some kind, that's what I'd concentrate on - adapting the raw material for existing applications so that the demand can take off like it should, and sooner rather than later.

I read an article a couple weeks ago about how they can process hemp to feel as soft as cotton.

https://www.businessinsider.com/levis-investing-in-hemp-as-a-cotton-alternative-2019-5

Drewsif

American commercial Cannabis is not good for anything. It turns to dust. Cant make rope out of dust, I dont want a van made out of that mersh shit.

Build a fender out of a modern crop, Henry Ford, that fucker will shatter like glass

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
American commercial Cannabis is not good for anything. It turns to dust. Cant make rope out of dust, I dont want a van made out of that mersh shit.

Build a fender out of a modern crop, Henry Ford, that fucker will shatter like glass

Source? From wjat i can see so far, they're only growing for seed/oil.

I'd have to concur with TychoMonolyth that this sounds spurious. Plenty of stuff being made of the fiber and hurd. Hemp hurd is what hempcrete is made of. Far from shattering after forming a composite matrix with lime and water, over time it turns to stone. Many homes and commercial buildings made of this stuff all over the world.

Amynamous

I believe that most professional farmers have potential buyers lined up before they even buy seed, let alone plant the seed. They won’t invest the time, money, sweat and other resources on a wing and a prayer.

Starmstr

What the general public doesn't realize is 8mths ago the asian citrus bug killed all the Valencia orange groves. In between these orchards are commercial nursurys for miles. I'd say 80% reductioin oranges in 2 years time. The land only set fallow for maybe 6 mths.

furrywall11

And what do the Valencia oranges have to do with the price of tea in china? I'm curious

The other guy said most farms won't plant $1 feminized hemp seeds without having buyers...based on what I've seen and heard I don't think that's true. There is so much hemp hype going around about guys making millions overnight, companies willing to buy standing crops at good rates and the white whale -- someone said good trimmed hemp flowers were selling for $1000 a lb in New York this July. A lot of farmers are willing to invest time and resources based on the hype. A lot of them are even planting without having any idea where they're going to dry let alone sell their crop.

I heard from one hemp field owner that he got %50 of the price he got in 2017 in 2018 for liters of CBD distillate. He also mentioned concerns about South America cutting down sugar cane fields and going all in hemp style.

I'm speculating that there will be a CBD flower and CBD extract glut because of so many hemp fields -- not just Oregon but Colorado, Utah, Kentucky, Arkansas? where else?

but this is beginning stages. Hemp has so many uses......as we fill in the gaps and the folks who can best utilize this amazing crop setup the structure and demand to do so....wow exciting times right now and to come!

Latest posts

Latest posts