What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Just Blame Pot!

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Super-skunk cannabis sees record 100,000 NHS admissions for mental health treatment

https://news.yahoo.com/super-skunk-cannabis-sees-record-144630803.html

Super-skunk cannabis has contributed to a record 100,000 people admitted for NHS treatment for drug-related mental health problems.

The number admitted with drug-related mental or behavioural disorders rose by three per cent to 99,782 in the past year, while hospital admissions for drug-related mental crises were up by 21 per cent in the decade that has seen super-strength cannabis emerge......

POT, The all-purpose scapegoat! :sad:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Super-skunk cannabis sees record 100,000 NHS admissions for mental health treatment

https://news.yahoo.com/super-skunk-cannabis-sees-record-144630803.html

Super-skunk cannabis has contributed to a record 100,000 people admitted for NHS treatment for drug-related mental health problems.

The number admitted with drug-related mental or behavioural disorders rose by three per cent to 99,782 in the past year, while hospital admissions for drug-related mental crises were up by 21 per cent in the decade that has seen super-strength cannabis emerge......

POT, The all-purpose scapegoat! :sad:
Not really CG... I understand what you are saying. In life, everything is about balance.

Over the years the push has been for higher and higher THC content. This is well documented by several Drs (friendly to the community, not the govt). I medicate daily and have a decent tolerance. I was gifted some bud and did not enjoy "the trip" waaaaay too racy, with anxiety and paranoia the predominant effects. Now combine that with our current circumstances, and I can see where (news clip) they are coming from.

On another note, it is for the same reason that grain alcohol (191 proof US/95% alcohol Can) is banned for sale in many states and provinces.

Marketing is another big factor we need to recognize these days. There has been an increase in children overdosing on edibles because the package mimics the original candy etc... We had the same issues in the ecig industry.The mfr is definitely at fault here, or should share some of the blame. OTOH, the idiot that left those laying around is also culpable, especially in one recent case here, where it was a family member, who unknowingly gave the child "edibles" vice candy.

Some are simply giving cannabis a bad name and it is not necessarily the govt. There are 2 sides to every story. Whenever man fucks with mother nature, man is usually on the loosing end.

:sad: = :frown, between colons. :frown:

Slim Pickens

Veteran
It's all about sensationalizing a name for the purpose of manipulation . (Marketing as pointed out above.)

The Patriot Act and Department of Homeland Security are other fine examples.Those terms make my heart swell with patriotism.Yes,yes. Makes me feel like hoisting old glory and going to war somewhere.Doesn't it for you? I might be stretching it a little,but it is manipulation...and a LOT of people have been getting manipulated lately.

and that's all I have to say about that. :)

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
as soon as i read the fifth paragraph i knew what i was reading...

Val Curran, professor of psychopharmacology at UCL in London, said the past year of the Covid-19 pandemic had seen the use of nightclub drugs like ecstasy decline, but cannabis and ketamine increase, both of which were more addictive.

...and it was from yahoo news ffs.

more reefer madness malarkey.

Over the years the push has been for higher and higher THC content. This is well documented by several Drs (friendly to the community, not the govt). I medicate daily and have a decent tolerance. I was gifted some bud and did not enjoy "the trip" waaaaay too racy, with anxiety and paranoia the predominant effects.

I hear this alot. But I don't believe it. I don't believe negative side effects are possible from natural Cannabis. I've never seen someone get too high, having sold and smoked thousands of lbs to/with a very wide demographic , and the only complaints are from store bought trash. The only reason anyone ever stopped smoking with me is because they think they are wasting it, because they can't get any higher.

The only problem I see is predisposed persons using Cannabis when it's not their calling,not in their DNA, just a character accessory for their role playing existence. Maybe meth will be cool some day and they can follow their true spiritual calling.

The same people who say certain strains give them anxiety are typically also thc pen users.. First of all, I don't believe them, 2nd, try making sense people. The 18% thc gives you anxiety, but that stupid 80% pen stuck in your mouth doesn't? "BUT ITS THE THC".

You'd think these forums would embrace reality and discuss why alot of older weed has less thc and a higher ceiling. And a thicker cloud. And a stronger smell. And a stronger flavor. And is better medicine. And still no one wigged out.

But I guess everyone got egos and ignorance to protect, shitty ornamental genetics and crappy calculator approved trash herb to sell. If weed gives you any negative other than cotton mouth, you aren't a Cannabis user. Casual Cannabis use isn't a thing. It's a relationship, just like being gay, born that way or not, but somehow people can be confused about such things..

Yes I'm making fun of people who smoke weed and give it a bad reputation when it's not in their DNA in the first place, the same way normal folk make fun of Indians for being drunks that can't hold their booze.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I hear this alot. But I don't believe it. I don't believe negative side effects are possible from natural Cannabis. I've never seen someone get too high, having sold and smoked thousands of lbs to/with a very wide demographic , and the only complaints are from store bought trash. The only reason anyone ever stopped smoking with me is because they think they are wasting it, because they can't get any higher.

The only problem I see is predisposed persons using Cannabis when it's not their calling,not in their DNA, just a character accessory for their role playing existence. Maybe meth will be cool some day and they can follow their true spiritual calling.

The same people who say certain strains give them anxiety are typically also thc pen users.. First of all, I don't believe them, 2nd, try making sense people. The 18% thc gives you anxiety, but that stupid 80% pen stuck in your mouth doesn't? "BUT ITS THE THC".

You'd think these forums would embrace reality and discuss why alot of older weed has less thc and a higher ceiling. And a thicker cloud. And a stronger smell. And a stronger flavor. And is better medicine. And still no one wigged out.

But I guess everyone got egos and ignorance to protect, shitty ornamental genetics and crappy calculator approved trash herb to sell. If weed gives you any negative other than cotton mouth, you aren't a Cannabis user. Casual Cannabis use isn't a thing. It's a relationship, just like being gay, born that way or not, but somehow people can be confused about such things..

Yes I'm making fun of people who smoke weed and give it a bad reputation when it's not in their DNA in the first place, the same way normal folk make fun of Indians for being drunks that can't hold their booze.
Son... I am 64 and I do know what I am talking about WRT smoking pot. That's what we use to call it in the day. The best weed I ever smoked was Cambodian, that was quite a trip, but I never encountered anxiety nor paranoia ever, and I did a bunch of drugs.

So please don't come here an call BS on my experience :tiphat:

Sunshineinabag

Not really CG... I understand what you are saying. In life, everything is about balance.

Over the years the push has been for higher and higher THC content. This is well documented by several Drs (friendly to the community, not the govt). I medicate daily and have a decent tolerance. I was gifted some bud and did not enjoy "the trip" waaaaay too racy, with anxiety and paranoia the predominant effects. Now combine that with our current circumstances, and I can see where (news clip) they are coming from.

On another note, it is for the same reason that grain alcohol (191 proof US/95% alcohol Can) is banned for sale in many states and provinces.

Marketing is another big factor we need to recognize these days. There has been an increase in children overdosing on edibles because the package mimics the original candy etc... We had the same issues in the ecig industry.The mfr is definitely at fault here, or should share some of the blame. OTOH, the idiot that left those laying around is also culpable, especially in one recent case here, where it was a family member, who unknowingly gave the child "edibles" vice candy.

Some are simply giving cannabis a bad name and it is not necessarily the govt. There are 2 sides to every story. Whenever man fucks with mother nature, man is usually on the loosing end.

:sad: = :frown, between colons. :frown:

Honestly whomever thought make your heart pound out of your chest was a good attribute in cannabis ain't from my line of woods

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Honestly whomever thought make your heart pound out of your chest was a good attribute in cannabis ain't from my line of woods
Thank you :) :tiphat:

I told a young wiper snapper in my neck of the woods that I was smoking cocaine before crack was invented. Son (to him) you have a lot to learn about dope.

I don't know everything, but I do know what works and doesn't work for me but, more importantly, why it does.

therevverend

Veteran
It's sad how the UK is still stuck in the cannabis dark ages. The rest of the world, even authoritarian drug-war type regimes, have been moving towards decriminalization and medical use. At one time I thought the UK was making positive steps forward but it's fizzled out. Meanwhile Mexico is legalizing, the USA is taking big steps forward, even Thailand has a medical program. South Africa is has decriminalized and is very close to legalizing.

No, that's not the point the news clips are making. They're saying cannabis causes mental illness, makes you go insane. It has nothing to do with 'more potent ganja'. They've been saying this shit since the Reefer Madness of the 1930s. There's plenty of strains of ganja out there I'm not interested in and most of us have either overdosed or toked too much of a strain that produced negative anxiety. I'm not in a mental institution in a straight jacket and hopefully you're not either. Hopefully you're not advocating for continued prohibition or restriction of cannabis to low levels of THC and therefore low quality. The answer is easy enough, if you don't like it you don't have to smoke it.

There's quite a few people that have tried cannabis and didn't like it, and far less people that have used cannabis and been 'triggered' into a crisis because they were already mentally ill. Prohibition hasn't stopped this from happening and if anything it exacerbates these problems by giving people a negative paranoid fearful mindset when they're high. It keeps people from seeking professional help when they get too high.

Back to the potency thing, this idea that 'today's ganja is stronger' is prohibitionist bullshit. I've been hearing it my entire life. The stuff I smoked when I was a teenager was just as strong as the stuff I smoke now. The stuff my dad grew when I was a child was ass-kicking and he'd roll huge joints of it and get wasted. In 1900 you could order powerful THC tinctures similar to modern day Rick Simpson oil from Sears-Roebuck. Put you down for a couple days. They're saying 'in the last decade super-strength cannabis has emerged'! The stuff I smoked in 2009 was damn strong.

The difference between a black market and a legal market is you have more choice. You can find nearly pure THC extracts or low potency flowers. You can get sativas or indicas. You can buy or grow your own CBD or hemp types with no THC if that's your thing. It's ridiculous that people in 2021, even people who say they smoke everyday, are still getting fooled by the same tired old prohibitionist propaganda.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Sounds like the way the Columbian press calls some dope "Crippy", like some evil is being grown these days. Evil is grown by the CIA, but it has poppies.

Sunshineinabag

I blame indica for this skullduggery!

Attachments

• IMG_20210131_094657.jpg
    IMG_20210131_094657.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20210131_094701.jpg
    IMG_20210131_094701.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 35

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Marijuana lowers IQ? Teens who use cannabis show decline in intelligence later on, study shows

<header class="entry-header">
</header>DUBLIN, Ireland — While nations argue over how intelligent it is to legalize marijuana, a new study finds the drug may literally be impacting the intelligence of young users. Researchers from the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI) say frequent use of cannabis during adolescence can lead to having a lower IQ as an adult.
Researchers have discovered that regular pot smokers suffer a decline of two IQ points over time compared to those who did not use cannabis as an adolescent. Further analysis revealed verbal IQ, which refers to understanding concepts, abstract reasoning, and working memory, declines by three points.
While that may not sound significant, study authors say even minimal incidental contact with marijuana can result in morphological brain volume changes. An analysis of MRI studies discovered those who smoked weed showed evidence of reduced grey matter in the brain.
“Previous research tells us that young people who use cannabis frequently have worse outcomes in life than their peers and are at increased risk for serious mental illnesses like schizophrenia,” says senior author Professor Mary Cannon in a university release. “Loss of IQ points early in life could have significant effects on performance in school and college and later employment prospects.”
Is cannabis a growing problem among America’s youth?

According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, 11.8 million young adults in the U.S. reported using marijuana in 2018. It is the most commonly used psychotropic drug in the country, behind only alcohol.
The RCSI team studied 808 young people who used cannabis at least weekly for a minimum of six months. They also examined 5,308 young people who did not use the drug.
The results reveal significant differences in terms of IQ between the two groups. Researchers say, among frequent or dependent cannabis users, overall IQ dropped by 1.98 points. When examining the impact on verbal IQ using four available studies, the team discovered a 2.94-point drop in these scores.
“Cannabis use during youth is of great concern as the developing brain may be particularly susceptible to harm during this period. The findings of this study help us to further understand this important public health issue,” explains study first author Dr. Emmet Power.
‘Approximately two-point decline in IQ’ among teens who frequently use marijuana

The researchers note many of the studies they examined provide limited data on this issue. Only one followed adolescents beyond the age of 18; with that one tracking their intelligence until age 38. With that said, researchers believe all the negative effects of frequent cannabis use early on are still unknown.
“The approximately two-point decline in IQ in adolescent-onset frequent cannabis users is not to be clinically significant and alone is unlikely to completely explain a range of psychosocial problems linked to cannabis use in this cohort,” the team writes in the journal Psychological Medicine.
“Developmental effects, however, such as altered neuromaturational processes may not be fully captured by periods of follow up limited to adolescence when brain development is ongoing.”

:laughing: more mind f**kery

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Marijuana lowers IQ?

It will also cause your babies to be born naked! NAKED for heavens sake! Won't someone think of the Childurn?

therevverend

Veteran
While nations argue over how intelligent it is to legalize marijuana, a new study finds the drug may literally be impacting the intelligence of young users. Researchers from the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI) say frequent use of cannabis during adolescence can lead to having a lower IQ as an adult.
More bullshit. That's not what the researchers' said, the headline is a lie. At the bottom of the article they stash the important bit.

The researchers note many of the studies they examined provide limited data on this issue. Only one followed adolescents beyond the age of 18; with that one tracking their intelligence until age 38. With that said, researchers believe all the negative effects of frequent cannabis use early on are still unknown.
“The approximately two-point decline in IQ in adolescent-onset frequent cannabis users is not to be clinically significant and alone is unlikely to completely explain a range of psychosocial problems linked to cannabis use in this cohort,” the team writes in the journal Psychological Medicine.
What the researchers really said was a 2-point decline in IQ is nothing, doesn't mean shit. If your IQ drops from 148 to 146 you're still a genius. They said the negative effects for adolescents smoking cannabis are 'still unknown'. Unknown or don't exist? Doesn't make a very good headline.

The press and the public have a fascination with IQ which scientists don't share. A standardized test like IQ is useful for a well educated person who's used to taking standardized tests and has been raised in the same environment as the person who made the test.

Around the time I graduated high school I took an IQ test and I did well. But I was studying for SATs, taking standardized tests all the time. I knew the logic behind the answers. A few months ago I took an online IQ test, for the hell of it. Not surprisingly I didn't do as well. My drop off was a lot more then 2 points. I was terrible at the math because I haven't used that type of thinking in 25 years. I still did well at the reading comprehension type stuff, because I still read books. If I coached myself up, spent a couple weeks studying high school math and getting used to those type of questions I'd do much better.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I can go along with a good heavy dope habit can dumb you down a little. Seems like it does to me. Problem is, I don't really care.