What's new

Jumpin' on the FREEDOM Train!

G

racketeer said:
my home depots must suck because none of them have lava rock, what the fuck?

Did you check in the gardern center part? They usally have them by the stones or you can also find them by the barbeque section also.

mean mr.mustard LOL @ bucket midget! Nice thread here shorts, and I have always fantisized a hydropowered green house! but then I have to take five deep breaths and count to ten and then take my heart medication!

Wait till you see my grow next year. Large bucket grow in a large greenhouse. Everyone should like that thread for sure. Will be using the greenhouse and bucket system to produce a large amount of seeds. All of people will be freaking about the size of the plants and seeds production.

Sorry for the hi Jack Shorts :)

Bonzo

Veteran
I know raq and be carefull buyin the stuff ,i bought 3 big bags at a yard and got it home and only half was actually lava the other half was fuckin regular rocks, broken red brick ,and who knows what else, im goin on a lava quest today. Actually i am using lava from HD now, it came in small bags and is the darker stuff, but at least its all lava, i still dont like it though , iwant the real deal

peace

binz

G

I was just going to use hydroton, do you guys think lava rock is better in this situation?

Feel free to chime in, and don't worry about hijacking-- I'll take all the input I can get.

Bonzo

Veteran
I used hydroton in my first run with the freedom and it works fin but it does lack support, the m39 had to be secured very well or she would have fallen over. I dont know, all i know is that iys been the preferred medium in these systems for a long time, so im gonna give it a whirl, just gotta find the good stuff. This is gonna be fun Shorts.

peace

bonz

Bonzo

Veteran
in hydroton:

actually that was "hydro korrels" a little more irregular than hydroton.

G

Have you guys tried Wal-mart or Lowes for the large lava rocks? I think i might have seen some in one of those guys garden centers. It's possible and you might luck out.

Bonzo

Veteran
Howdy,Found lava at Lowes, 3.49 + tax per .5 cu ft bag. Red lava, not as big as i have seen used but big enough, 1/2" to 3/4" pieces. Good stuff, no filler, all lava. Rock yard down the street wanted 7 bucks for the same bag.

peace

bonz

G

Glad to see you found them at Lowes. Where did you find them? Was it in the garden section or where the grills are? Any ways, you found them and that's all that matters. I'll be using Lava rocks in my bucket grow also. Boy, do i love Lowes. You can find just about anything there.
Later

Bonzo

Veteran
It sure is a nice place compared to HD, i have to drive a bit farther to go to Lowes, but its worth it. Good call GDW. Oh, its in the outdoor gardening section.

bonz

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow right when I was showing my buddies your other grow and telling them it didnt get any better :) grin: this is gonna be great :) Nice work as always !

Bonzo

Veteran
Howdy shorts :wave: , how are ya? I hope its ok that i do this little comparison on your thread.

As i said before i bought 3 big bags of what was labled as "red lava" and as ive also said most of it was crap, so heres a comparison of what i bought today at LOWES for 3.50 a bag and the crap that cost me 8 or 9 bucks a bag at a "rock yard".

This is the crap, next to the red volcanic lava i bought today:

Close-up of the crap, whats that white stuff on the top side, could it be mortar? Theres no doubt in my mind that that is a piece of red brick: :confused:

Close-up of what i bought today, red volcanic lava: :hotbounce

A whole net pot full of the real deal, now that looks like a good growing media to me: :woohoo:

What the bag looks like, made by GARDENPLUS, i opened it upside down. :bashhead:

Once again 3.50 a bag, looks like might take a little more than 1 bag to fill a 5 gallon bucket. Pretty good deal. :woohoo:

So there ya have it, LOWES has the goods.

peace

bonz :wave:

G

That's what i love about this site. Everyone helping each other out. Nice post Bonzo, that rock from Lowes looks really good.
Take care

G

I'm doing good bonz, how are you doing today? :wave: So it's lowes who has the goods then, I'll keep that in mind if I choose to use lava rock. For now my plan is to still use hydroton, mostly because I have a shitload of it in storage, and I'd rather put it to use. I hope to try the lava out some day, it sure seems a heck of a lot easier to clean and remove roots from. That 'red lava' looks like an old brick wall recycled and sledge hammered up almost, I'm glad you were able to find the good stuff! :woohoo:

Please nobody worry about posting too much or anything in this thread-that's why I made it-to show the buckets and how I put 'em together and mostly to get some input from people with ideas/suggestions. so far- so good, I have been learning a lot!. if I do a grow thread it will not be in this thread. or maybe it will be.. i dunno. :pointlaug :chin:

Hey GDW, how are you? :wave: Hopefully well! :smile:

G

I'm doing pretty good. You got me looking at bucket on-line and i think i'm going to build a custom system around the third week of this month. Going to order about 24 black buckets for a 12 bucket system and the all barbes, gormets, and hose. Thinking about some 1/2" black hose with two digital times and two pump. That save me alot of money without buying a system. Mine is going to be the normal bucket system and I won't be using it till i'm out of trouble :) Thanks for asking
Take care

G

Thanks for swinging through GDW, good to hear everything's going good. I can't wait to see your new bucket setup- it sounds like it will be great! :woohoo:

keeporegongreen

Hi gis, huge fan of your multi-flow work.

I was wondering what the drip times on these buckets are going to be - as in, how many times a day your pump turns on, and for how long? Do you factor in the size of your pump, or just trial & error until you feel they're getting enough water?

I realize this may be tough to answer without actual plants in the system... but any reply is appreciated.

G

Bonzo said:
Hey GDW, this is where i have gotten all my buckets, very high quality.

http://bestcontainers.com/n2135bk.html

peace

bonz

if i was closer id bring ya a couple cuts shorts.

Thanks for the link. I'm thinking about ordering from them. I'm also thinking about ordering the 3.5 gal bucket for the plants to grow in and a 5 gal for the flood bucket.
I think the 3.5 should be more then enough to grow a nice size tree. Going with all black bucket so i don't have any problem with funk. They say they are FDA approved and that's good to me. I'm going to give them a call and get a quote on 12 3.5 gal Black and 12 5 gal Black buckets plus shipping. That should set me up a nice 12 tree system. Thanks again for the link.
Take care

Bonzo

Veteran
Howdy GDW :wave: , The 3.5 inner and 5 gallon outer work great, i used it with my ebb & flow buckets and look at these roots!

They deliver thier buckets in totally nondescript, stealth packaging as well.

peace

G

Bonzo said:
Howdy GDW :wave: , The 3.5 inner and 5 gallon outer work great, i used it with my ebb & flow buckets and look at these roots!

They deliver thier buckets in totally nondescript, stealth packaging as well.

peace

Thanks for the info. That really does help me out alot. Glad someone has already tried the 3.5 with the 5 gal buckets. I'm not worried about them shipping them with print on the outside. I'm not doing anything illegal anyways. I'm looking forward to this new project. You guys got me hooked. I'll make sure to do a full thread on the construction so others can follow later.
Thanks

PS Super nice root mass you have and you can tell how healthy they are. Nice and white, like they should be. Great job

Latest posts

Latest posts