What's new

Joe's Fresh Guide to Sick Plant Diagnosis

deoxymoron

Please help me diagnose big old mothers

Please help me diagnose big old mothers

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hello, Great thread and thanks for looking!
This is my first post about my 3rd grow, so I'm pretty green.

I planted these from seed I found in some White Widow dispensary bud that tested 22.5% THC and looked healthy. the flowering clones are Very nice. I intend to just let these flower in the sunlight but they will need to last at least 3 more months to do that properly. I am grateful for any advice.

As you can see from the pictures, the leaves on these 2 huge (for indoor) plants are showing some amazing colors and leaf burn patterns. Petioles are purpling. I have always tried to get the PH of my water and nutes between 6.4 and 7.0 with my Hanna meter.

3 weeks ago I thought it was acid soil and added some fast acting lime, no help. 10 days ago I thought it might be fertilizer build up, so ran 45 gallons of 6.9 PH water through them, then 3 gallons of light nutes, still burning. This week I was thinking the PH was too high, but How would I check that? Before this happened the plant got a bit dried out when I didn't water for 3-4 days in the heat. My AC was keeping up but also drying out the air. Lots of leaves fell off after yellowing up after that. I've been making sure to water with 3.5 - 4.5 gallons every 3 days now.

Below I have added some more info from questions I saw in another post.

Growing in soil, 5 gal fox farm ocean forest transplanted into 15 gal 50/50 mix of same and a miracle-grow "moisture control" potting mix about 4 weeks back

How long has this problem been going on? started around 2/3 weeks ago
Are you growing in a PVC grow tent? (example: Hydrohut or any other non brand tents) No, It's an air-conditioned 10 x 17 shed with a double wall greenhouse roof.
What system are you running? soil in 15 gal cloth? smart pots
What STRAIN are you growing? White Widow
What was the establishing technique? (Were the seed or clone?) These 2 mothers were from seed. I have 10 clones flowering nicely in 5 gal smart pots in the next room.
What is the age of your plants? These have been growing for about 3.5 to 4 months LOL they are too huge for 15 gal pots!
How long have they been in there mixture they are in now?(coco,soiless etc..) 6 weeks in 1-gal, 8 weeks in 5-gal, about 4 weeks in these 15 gal pots
How tall are the plants? ~11 feet
What PHASE are the plants in? vegetative
What Technique are you using? Uh, water when they need it?
What substrate/medium are you using? soil with Hydroton at bottom
What is the Water temperature? When the RO water tank warms up it could be up to 80 F, usually 60 - 70
What color are your roots? IDK (Soil)
When was your last watering? 4.5 gallons w humic and superthrive last time
What size bulb are you using? Sunlight
What is your RH Factor(Relative Humidity)? 60-80 varies
What is the canopy temperature? Varies between 63-85 F
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include flucutaion range)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]63-85 F
[/FONT]What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.) Sealed room for CO2 enrichment
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ?
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]closed room wit ac[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Is the fan blowing directly at plants? Yes, oscillating fan
Is your water HARD or SOFT? soft? RO water
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)
If using RO,Distilled,mineral water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS without any additives? 0 PPM
Are you using water from a water softener? no
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned off of or pinched ? no
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so, What and When? 3-4 doses of Pyrethrum TR Micro Total Release fogger, last one 20 days ago

[/FONT] Pyrethrum TR Micro Total Release Insecticide

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Are plant's infected with pest's? some 2-spotted spider mites. Going to preditor mites tomorrow, adding green lacewing the next day[/FONT]
Pyrethrum TR Micro Total Release Insecticide

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
I'm using co2 at 500 - 1500ppm automatic metering.
[/FONT]

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 20150824_101809.jpg
    20150824_101809.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 20150824_101743.jpg
    20150824_101743.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 105

deoxymoron

Getting Worse

Getting Worse

It's just a day or so later and I see what seems to be more problems. The first pic is the same big mother in veg. Seems to have more spots now. I now see a problem with the ladies in flower.
Help!

Attachments

• IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 100

FtLotG

Wow I love this thread, constantly coming in here to check out updates and people's plant troubles. Very informative.

lateralgs

Running into some issues on a new grow, would appreciate some input.

Week 5 of veg, 2x northern lights and 2x jock horror (both autos)
4 plant Bio-bucket grow
400w MH 18/6
PH - 5.5-6 (no proper meter, just the color drops)
TDS- ~750ppm
GH Flora

How long has this problem been going on? Started noticing slight issues 1.5-2 weeks ago
Are you growing in a PVC grow tent?No, custom tent built out of wood
What system are you running? Bio-bucket
What STRAIN are you growing? Northern Lights and Jock Horror AF
What was the establishing technique? Both from seed
What is the age of your plants? 5 weeks into veg
How long have they been in there mixture they are in now?(coco,soiless etc..) Since week2
How tall are the plants? ~1.5'
What PHASE are the plants in? vegetative
What substrate/medium are you using? lavarock
What is the Water temperature? external res ~66, buckets ~70
What color are your roots? Appear white
What size bulb are you using? 400w
What is your RH Factor(Relative Humidity)? 40-50
What is the canopy temperature? Varies between 65-72 F
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include flucutaion range)
65-72
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.) 300cfm fan running ~70%
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ? Always running, pulling from bottom of tent, exhausting out the top
Is the fan blowing directly at plants? Yes, oscillating fan
Is your water HARD or SOFT? soft? hard
What water are you using? Tap
Are you using water from a water softener? no
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned off of or pinched ? Yes, pruned off huge fan leaf that was covering 3/4 of the rest of the plant on each

Overall
3HHuO8w.jpg

Starting to see more of this-
daWqs9i.png

ZKTBdkL.png

NENugger

Veins are green but rest of leaf yellowing. I'm a first time grower so have no idea what problem is. I looked through pics on first few page but couldn't quite match up. Information is quite extensive and dense.

Hoping someone can recognize symptons

Mohadib

Veteran
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=72548&pictureid=1729135View Image

Veins are green but rest of leaf yellowing. I'm a first time grower so have no idea what problem is. I looked through pics on first few page but couldn't quite match up. Information is quite extensive and dense.

Hoping someone can recognize symptons

It's nearly impossible tp diagnose a problem without sufficient picture material.

Where does the yellowing start? Does it progress from top to bottom or the other way around?

If it effects newer leaves rather than older ones, your plant(s) might suffer from a zinc definciency.
If newer leaves ain't effected, but older ones are, it might be a lack of nitrogen.

4Leaf20

thnk you for this. I just noticed my babies are maybe showing signs of over watering. leaves are growing twisted.

Teh_Baker

picture.php

So im thinking that this is due to a Mg def. The soil mix is dr earth, inside a 15gal gopher cage buried in mother earth. This is an unammended garden sight brand new for this year. The soil is fairly rocky and well draining, but contains enough loam that im happy. Nutrients: GH maxigro 1tsp/gal with snowstorm supplement 1/2tsp/gal. Well water that has never strayed above or below 6.4ph.

I do have humbolts magnum but usually hold off on using it until i transition into flower(first sign of pistils). Should i start using it now since this is a new garden?

Teh_Baker

The soil was wet, it was just watered prior to taking the picture. The plant in question is an ak47 auto flower. I think you may be right about nute strength for them. This is the rate i start out all of my babies at and very few have ever burned. But i have never grown ak47 varieties before. About 1/2 of these now show the same signs, though i dont see any insect infestation. I use azomax weekly with a foliar feed at 30ml/gal. They have just begun to flower this week, i estimate them to be 5-6 weeks old.

Teh_Baker

I just took a peak a several affected leaves, and i was not able to find any mites of any type. I did however see 2 thrip nymphs on the same leaf, but on no others, and no eggs anywhere.

Teh_Baker

Well, i got better...

Well, i got better...

So this is what the best of the worst AK47 looks like. The others are still severly stunted. I still think this is a Mg deficiency, and this plant seems to be recovering.
picture.php

Only time will tell I guess...
This is what the others look like(only 3 total) and how the recovered one looked.
picture.php

Last edited:

Teh_Baker

Well. One plant has gotten worse, but is still kicking, 1 died, and one seems to have pulled herself through the worst of it, and is starting to put off healthy growth on top. Im still not sure if i have diagnosed the issue correctly as a Mg deficiency. Heres a pic of the plant responding positively.
picture.php

Id still appreciate any input...

Last edited: