What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Joe Rogan says mj is a performance enhancing drug for bjj.

E

el dub

Got to love this guy. And I agree with his sentiments on da kine and da mind.

http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/2/14/2796275/joe-rogan-discusses-nick-diaz-peds-sopa-and-more

On marijuana
"I think it is a performance-enhancing drug. If it wasn’t, a huge majority of jiu-jitsu guys wouldn't be using it before they train. A lot of Brazilian guys use marijuana before they train. A lot of American jiu-jitsu guys use it before they train. And they don’t do it because it hurts them; they do it because it helps them."

On Nick Diaz's marijuana use
"I think he likes smoking weed. I think it’s that simple. I think he’s doing it whether or not he’s fighting, whether he’s training or running marathons."

On how to handle Diaz
"He needs like a Cus D’Amato-type character, who’s there watching everything he does and making things easy for him. All that nonsense where he couldn’t get on the plane... look, you’re not dealing with your average dude. Someone should’ve been taking care of him. They should’ve had someone pick him up at the house. Don't make him drive to the airport. Pick him up. Test him on your own. It’s not expensive. Test him in advance and make sure he’s clean. Make sure he doesn’t have issues."

Olum!

There is definitely a huge association between BJJ and marijuana, especially in Brazil. The book "A Fighter's Heart" talks about the author's travels in Brazil and training at the same place where greats like Anderson Silva trained. He said it was a very interesting life style. The group he spent most of his time with were always in action doing BJJ and surfing among other things and were always smoking herb.

I don't know whether or not I'd say that it's a "performance enhancing drug" with respect to BJJ or not. That may well depend on the mind set of the individual. But since jujitsu is all about FEELING and RELAXING while relying on superior technique and intelligence, it may very well be. If they start going after stuff like that though then they might as well go after caffeine -- a substance proven to chemically alter a person under it's effects such that they actually have measurably faster reaction times. They might as well go after sugar since it might be used in the middle of a fight to give a tired fighter a sudden little boost of energy. Where is the line?