What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jobs in the mmj or recreational business

seeded

Realistically the short term money is in immediate product supply, medium term it's a race to the bottom line where you simply can't compete without insane financial backing from before day one and in the long term when just about all the profits have evaporated it'll be the breeders making the pocket money. If you go into the business side of the operation expect to lose out during the race to the bottom when weedmart opens in every town while also killing off home businesses by doing online sales too.

So your best bet would be to start growing a crop now, work on getting a storefront going in the legal state while the crop's growing and try to get other growers to sell to you so you can keep the shop stocked with quality product too. If you have to pick between the shop and growing choose growing because eventually the shop will have to close anyway and if you want to stick it out with weed you're going to need to go into breeding and having the professional setup from before will definitely come in handy.

Honestly though the real money's made where it's illegal..

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
This old "Move to California because it is legal and I can do it for a living thread" is really played out.

1. There is already a lot of weed there. Look at the wholesalers complaining, they have their own thread.
2. The weed in California is and has always been the best. The bar is high. Unless you bring some holy grail sort of thing you will not even get a nod.
3. An outsider trying to get into this business is going to get raped robed and tossed. You don't know anyone and they don't need you there.

It is a rough world out there. All of you from every state know what it is like in your cities. It is rough and unforgiving. A lot of big cities in Cali and they are all the same. If you go to the bay area you see the definition of urban sprawl. You have gangs, and just plain hoods and opportunist.

Someone needs to speak plain English to these people because these threads just keep happening.

Me, I grew weed in Washington, and at time the bar wasn't as high as it is now (Not that long ago). I had a good paying job. I played around with some dispensary clones of Blue Dream and I was in heaven. Making good hash out of good buds and experimenting with all kinds of growing techniques that you can do in soil in a big closet. It was fun and no pressure. Now, go to a place that is already flooded with weed as a stranger. You do not have a good job to carry you through and you have to build yourself up, and get dialed in, and that takes a year or so usually. And then what do you have, the same clones being tossed around long before you got there. Competing with people that have their fingers on the pulse in regard to the daily price. An outsider hasn't a chance in hell. At the very least the odds are against you.

M

meowmeowmeow

Realistically the short term money is in immediate product supply, medium term it's a race to the bottom line where you simply can't compete without insane financial backing from before day one and in the long term when just about all the profits have evaporated it'll be the breeders making the pocket money. If you go into the business side of the operation expect to lose out during the race to the bottom when weedmart opens in every town while also killing off home businesses by doing online sales too.

So your best bet would be to start growing a crop now, work on getting a storefront going in the legal state while the crop's growing and try to get other growers to sell to you so you can keep the shop stocked with quality product too. If you have to pick between the shop and growing choose growing because eventually the shop will have to close anyway and if you want to stick it out with weed you're going to need to go into breeding and having the professional setup from before will definitely come in handy.

Honestly though the real money's made where it's illegal..

:bow: To seeded & huligun .....No fear here and always on the watch. Thanks guys. :biggrin:

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Friendly advise MB .... my move from FL to CO cost approx 8k.
I left a 100k job, so my advice is stay put.

Refine your skills, because from my short time here in CO they want people who can take instructions.....that's it.
Fucking robots.
It's a dick show, cut throat, know-it-all industry like others have mentioned.

If someone in charge 'thinks' you know more you are looked at as a threat.

I got rooter rootered on my 1st interview by some smuck consultant.
Most people would of told these guys to fuck off, but I just kept having fun.

I hope this helps, because overall LIFE is hard. Good Luck :biggrin:

1,000,000%

Its an industry. Industry. INDUSTRY. You're not growing medicine you're growin thneeds. Everybody needs a thneed. Its all about money. There are investors and that means the quickest way to profit. That means cut corners, it means not destroying a moldy crop but instead putting lipstick on a pig all day long and giving people cancer from mycotoxins and pesticides.

Shit, even being a trimmer can kill you. Remember that nun who ran the collective and she got a brain tumer and died real quick after trimming buds sprayed with Avid.
ALL these warehouses are spraying. I know of 3 that do not. Thats a small number from hundreds. I know dozens that do spray and I've also seen the LCB not give a shit about reports. Its all about money.

If you want to do good in this market you have to start your own business and show these poisoners how to do it right.

Lol, a warehouse can be setup to pull 1.3g/w before even being dialed in but these guys will never be told how because they are greedy.
Heh heh heh, there are old lady's who grow their own who grow leagues above what these warehouses produce.

If you want to make money, keep doing psychedelics until you deprogram yourself from wanting to rape Nature just to live a prescribed, comfortable, consumerist, toxic lifestyle.

Free the Plant.

M

meowmeowmeow

FML

FML

Going tomorrow to interview for another grow position.
Like Spud in Trainspotting I 'm better off doing some crank and royally fucking it up.....j/k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVp9rKF3hag

1st Interviewer: Mr. Murphy, do you mean that you lied on your application?
Spud: No! Uh. Yes. Only to get my foot in the door. Showing initiative and that like.
1st Interviewer: But you were referred here by the department of employment, there was no need for you to get your "foot in the door," as you put it.
Spud: Ehhh... cool. Whatever you say, I'm sorry. You're the man. The dude in the chair.

One of my favorite movies not for the smack use, but overall story.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Going tomorrow to interview for another grow position.
Like Spud in Trainspotting I 'm better off doing some crank and royally fucking it up.....j/k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVp9rKF3hag

1st Interviewer: Mr. Murphy, do you mean that you lied on your application?
Spud: No! Uh. Yes. Only to get my foot in the door. Showing initiative and that like.
1st Interviewer: But you were referred here by the department of employment, there was no need for you to get your "foot in the door," as you put it.
Spud: Ehhh... cool. Whatever you say, I'm sorry. You're the man. The dude in the chair.

One of my favorite movies not for the smack use, but overall story.

Completely off topic, but you might be excited to know they're making a second one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsozpEE543w

M

meowmeowmeow

No I didn't and :thank you:

*Edit* Just watched the trailer .... Fucking A stoked thanks. Underworld - Boy fits that movie perfectly.

The interview today was the best, so far......
Very positive and upbeat with mutual enthusiasm on the both sides of the table for once. :woohoo:

Almost Friday.....everyone have a good weed-end :joint:

***Update*** Someone believed me when I said I could sell bullshit to a cattle farmer and I was extended an offer in a commercial grow, so I took it. Gotta pay the bill$ . If this is still something that you want to do....don't give up. Keep on truckin' :biggrin:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts