What's new

Jimmy Kimmel Addresses Marijuana Legalization At White House Correspondents' Dinner

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Be sure to check out the video here.

While delivering his remarks at the 2012 White House Correspondents' Dinner, comedian Jimmy Kimmel addressed the issue of marijuana legalization.

"What is with the marijuana crackdown? Seriously, what is the concern? We will deplete the nation's Funyun supply?" Kimmel said. "Pot smokers vote too. Sometimes a week after the election, but they vote."

Kimmel then posed a challenge to the crowd, which was made up of celebrities like Kim Kardashian and George Clooney.

"I would like everyone in this room to raise your hand if you've never smoked pot," Kimmel said.

Few hands went up.

Noting the crowd's reaction, Kimmel addressed President Barack Obama directly.

"Marijuana is something that real people care about," Kimmel said.

Obama, who recently said he doesn't "mind a debate" about drug legalization, has increased the crackdown on medical marijuana producers across the nation, including a recent high-profile raid on a California training school. He addressed the crackdown and attempted to clarify his 2008 comments that he was "not going to be using Justice Department resources to try to circumvent state laws [on medical marijuana]" in a recent interview with Rolling Stone:

Speaking with Rolling Stone, the president tried to explain his original comments, claiming that the recent pressure on dispensaries and providers was in line with his intent.
"What I specifically said was that we were not going to prioritize prosecutions of persons who are using medical marijuana," Obama said. "I never made a commitment that somehow we were going to give carte blanche to large-scale producers and operators of marijuana -- and the reason is, because it's against federal law."

The president continued: "I can't nullify congressional law. I can't ask the Justice Department to say, 'Ignore completely a federal law that's on the books.' What I can say is, 'Use your prosecutorial discretion and properly prioritize your resources to go after things that are really doing folks damage.' As a consequence, there haven't been prosecutions of users of marijuana for medical purposes."

Attorney General Eric Holder was a guest of The Huffington Post at the correspondents' dinner. Before it began, a HuffPost reporter noted to Holder that Obama's reference to "congressional law" was misleading because the executive branch could simply remove marijuana from its "schedule one" designation, thereby recognizing its medical use.

"That's right," Holder said.

After Kimmel's speech, a Holder deputy told HuffPost that there was no coordinated war on medical marijuana, but that some individual clinics were breaking both state and federal laws.

G

greenmatter

not sure if some comment at a roast could be considered "addressing" anything

but hey in washington it is as close as it is gonna get

Agaricus

"....go after things that are really doing folks damage."

Talk about lies. The only damage being done is to the victims of the busts.

They're running scared. The have to keep the narcs employed and the private prisons full and growing and they're losing the "hearts and minds" of the people.

G

greenmatter

it would be real hard to stay "funny" in that crowd. he did good! a couple good shots under the ribs has some effect/affect ........ even when the guy throwing the punches is grinning at you

G

guest59452

look at that monkey grin that slinks across obamas face partnered with an emotional blush of guilt and betrayal

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
not sure if some comment at a roast could be considered "addressing" anything

but hey in washington it is as close as it is gonna get

Ya at least he got to say it directly too him. Making the president look foolish for continuing marijuana prohibition. he needs to introduce a god damn bill to congress already.

ellinho

look at that monkey grin that slinks across obamas face partnered with an emotional blush of guilt and betrayal

i dont wanna even know what his personal feelings are. i think the problem is that he has to many people around him pressing charges for him to act in a certain way.
srsly when are we ready? still all this bs ... makes me sick!

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
I think he should have followed, "I would like everyone in this room to raise your hand if you've never smoked pot," with, "You've all just confessed to a federal crime. DEA agents will be waiting for you at the door when you leave."

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I never thought much of jimmy kimmel (i did like him on "Win Ben Stein's Money") but I might actually start watching his show now.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i dont wanna even know what his personal feelings are. i think the problem is that he has to many people around him pressing charges for him to act in a certain way.
srsly when are we ready? still all this bs ... makes me sick!

^I am pretty sure he wants it legal, but there is no way he will address it in a positive light during an election year unless he thinks being elected depends on it. Which in reality it kinda does, and he is too out of touch to realize it.

I think he should have followed, "I would like everyone in this room to raise your hand if you've never smoked pot," with, "You've all just confessed to a federal crime. DEA agents will be waiting for you at the door when you leave."

ya that would have made reality sink in.

bigAl25

Veteran
Tony, Thanks for the video link, and kudos to Kimmel. Tony did you ever buy or grow that C99hybrid stuff you asked about?
Peace and respect.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Can't find all the quotes Obama's made about weed reform. Weed advocates have the internet so full of one-side of the issue it's hard to objectively cite a candidate/president who, IMO isn't any more interested an advancing weed reform than Bill Clinton was in the 90s.

"I don't think that should be a top priority of us, raiding people who are using ... medical marijuana. With all the things we've got to worry about, and our Justice Department should be doing, that probably shouldn't be a high priority." (June 2, 2007, town hall meeting in Laconia, New Hampshire)

"The Justice Department going after sick individuals using [marijuana] as a palliative instead of going after serious criminals makes no sense." (July 21, 2007, town hall meeting in Manchester, New Hampshire)

"I would not have the Justice Department prosecuting and raiding medical marijuana users. It's not a good use of our resources." (August 21, 2007, event in Nashua, New Hampshire)

"My attitude is if the science and the doctors suggest that the best palliative care and the way to relieve pain and suffering is medical marijuana then that's something I'm open to because there's no difference between that and morphine when it comes to just giving people relief from pain. But I want to do it under strict guidelines. I want it prescribed in the same way that other painkillers or palliative drugs are prescribed." (November 24, 2007 town hall meeting in Iowa)
Never mind the fact that Obama reflects on his own usage of weed in his youth as "a mistake".

Even if you don't agree, it's still about perspective.

I did. It's not something that I'm proud of. It was a mistake as a young man...
IMO, THE best argument for Obama's so-called vacillation is the 2007 statement that promotes decriminalization - but this requires an act of Congress.

Based on Obama's past statements, I'm not sure I'd care to see his vision of reform - i.e. "I want it prescribed in the same way that other painkillers or palliative drugs are prescribed."

If that means a prescription for Sativex etc, I'll keep growing, smoking and taking my chances.

Imagine if NORML and or ASA approached reform from the point of view that the president dictates weed policy. They're obviously unsuccessful but at least they know how to comprehend existing law.

Last edited:

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
Did anyone else find it curious that ALL of the major news outlets that reported on this failed to even MENTION the marijuana comment? Fuck the media!

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
The president continued: "I can't nullify congressional law. I can't ask the Justice Department to say, 'Ignore completely a federal law that's on the books.'

What I can say is, 'Use your prosecutorial discretion and properly prioritize your resources to go after things that are really doing folks damage.' As a consequence, there haven't been prosecutions of users of marijuana for medical purposes."

You Slimy bastard. You can put presidential pressure on acting like logical people and removing the law itself... in the name of decency and truth. That would get you assasinated though... tough spot you've put yourself in.

Obummard doesn't have any power... puppets never do.

Seriously though... despite the overwhelming mountains of evidence that cannabis is "One of THE most beneficial, medicinal plants on the face of the planet"... we still live in this misery hole created by prohibition.

Do you really think truth and the facts are going to ever be enough?

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the problem is that none of them are doing harm. Pot growers and dispensary owners are not violent. There is no way in hell I would hurt some one over weed.