What's new

Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train A Comin...

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you are a Jimi Hendrix fan, then you have to watch this documentary. It's presented by the PBS show, "American Masters," and it is fantastic. There is a bunch of footage from the very early days of Jimi, stuff that I was aware of but had never seen presented in a thorough way, with accompanying film.

From the link below:

Hear My Train A Comin’ unveils previously unseen performance footage and home movies taken by Hendrix and drummer Mitch Mitchell while sourcing an extensive archive of photographs, drawings, family letters and more to provide new insight into the musician’s personality and genius.

The two-hour film uses Hendrix’s own words to tell his story, illustrated through archival interviews and illuminated with commentary from family, well-known friends and musicians including Paul McCartney, band members Noel Redding, Mitch Mitchell, Billy Cox, long-time sound engineer Eddie Kramer; Steve Winwood, Vernon Reid, Billy Gibbons, Dweezil Zappa and Dave Mason.

The film also features revealing glimpses into Jimi and his era from the three women closest to him: Linda Keith (the girlfriend who introduced Jimi to future manager Chas Chandler), Faye Pridgon (who befriended Hendrix in Harlem in the early 1960s) and Colette Mimram (one of the era’s most influential fashion trendsetters who provided inspiration for Hendrix’s signature look and created such memorable stage costumes as the beaded jacket Hendrix famously wore at Woodstock).

Among the previously unseen treasures in Hear My Train A Comin’ is recently uncovered film footage of Hendrix at the 1968 Miami Pop Festival.

American Masters: Jimi Hendrix – Hear My Train A Comin’ is a production of Fuse Films and THIRTEEN’s American Masters in association with WNET. Bob Smeaton is director.

Here is the link to PBS:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmas...film-jimi-hendrix-hear-my-train-a-comin/2756/

Last edited:

SkyHider

Cool link - grew up listening to Jimi

I am the one who has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to" - Jim Hendrix

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...if you know how to work with torrents this video is available to download at piratebay as we speak, ...i got my copy about 2 weeks ago when i saw it in passing on PBS. (if you do a more general search for 'American Masters' you'll find some other awesome shows)

...Jimi is still very much a part of my life, his music is a gift that continues to enrich my days!

peace, bozo

btw, at this moment i'm listening and watching a Carlos Santana collection i downloaded just last night, ...25 video clips, man i love this information age!

RetroGrow

Veteran
Chaz Chandler was manager for the Animals, with Eric Burden, who is still touring. I was at the Miami Pop Festival in 68, although i don't remember much. Jimi was a musical genius, and just had a natural gift that few people get. And he played guitar upside down, ie., he played left handed on a right handed guitar. I saw him live several times before he died. Few people match his creativity, if any.

By the way, if you like Jimi, you might like the "new" Jimi Hendrix. This kid is 13 years old now, but began playing @ 3 years of age, and was playing with Buddy Guy @ age 7. Posted this in the "blues" thread, but in case you missed it, this kid is incredible. He can do Jimi, Clapton, Buddy Guy...anybody, and he does some things with the guitar I have never seen anyone else do:

Just been listening to an 8 year old play with Buddy Guy. You have to listen to this. Blew my mind.......:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix4TNJvVk8M

Fast forward a few years, and he's opening for Buddy Guy, and matching him note for note.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuey8VfRF_Q

Listen to Guddy Guy talk about the kid who he discovered @7 years old.
Some incredible licks in here. This kid may have the fastest hands on the planet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0arQCGUubA

And some more Voodoo Child.....he does some things on here that I never saw anyone do. He set's the guitar down on the stage vertically and kind of tingles the strings from behind, and it's an incredible effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVX1UR95bPA

Just saw this one when he was on the Tonight Show. Sound quality is really excellent here on some original material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEsSU7I0Zps

Anyway, there's tons of videos on You tube about him. Once you see one you have the links for the others. Buddy Guy says he is the greatest talent to come in over 30 years.

Last edited:

RetroGrow

Veteran
...if you know how to work with torrents this video is available to download at piratebay as we speak, ...i got my copy about 2 weeks ago when i saw it in passing on PBS. (if you do a more general search for 'American Masters' you'll find some other awesome shows)

...Jimi is still very much a part of my life, his music is a gift that continues to enrich my days!

peace, bozo

btw, at this moment i'm listening and watching a Carlos Santana collection i downloaded just last night, ...25 video clips, man i love this information age!

Gotta love those Torrents! Where did you find the Santana videos? I am a huge fan of his. Have seen him at least a dozen times starting in the 60s. One time I was front row.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
Gotta love those Torrents! Where did you find the Santana videos? I am a huge fan of his. Have seen him at least a dozen times starting in the 60s. One time I was front row.
...hopefully this link will work, long enough for you to use it anyway.

Carlos Santana

...anyway, there are quite a few i think you'll dig but the one i was listening to was a collection of 25 video clips put together by a real fan, ...i can tell you i sure dug it, ...it's tenth on the list and just say's 'Carlos Santana (Santana)'.

...and like i said, be sure and check out the rest of the list, i'm sure you'll find other choices to download.

peace, bozo

RetroGrow

Veteran
...btw, you weren't shittin' about that kid man, he is something else!

thanks for turning me on!

peace, bozo

The kids a prodigy. Playing/taking lessons from age 3. Opening for Buddy Guy, and playing with him at age 8. He's 13 now, and already polished and can match any player in the world. Imagine how good he will become as he matures.
Thanks for the links. Santana is probably my all time favorite group to watch in concert.