What's new

Jed's 52w pl-l PC grow

switched to 12/12 last night

i top dressed with about 1/2 tsp of blood meal 2 weeks ago, it seemed to stop the yellowing of the bottom leaves. but they never did regain thier color, and seem to be getting yellower the last few days
leaf tips also seem to be dying? its been just the very tips, but the very tips of the serations are getting yellow too. also noticed last night the leaves were cupped up.
been fighting some knats as well. but things are still looking better than last time. just gotta wait out this sexying thing

Attachments

• IMG_201504022481.jpg
    IMG_201504022481.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_201504021891.jpg
    IMG_201504021891.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_201504024506.jpg
    IMG_201504024506.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_201504023492.jpg
    IMG_201504023492.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_201504023964.jpg
    IMG_201504023964.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_201504024937.jpg
    IMG_201504024937.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 29
Damn...just wrote a big message for you and it got deleted....

Go check out some threads by DrBudgreengenes. His methods are great for pc grows. Also look at the yogurt cup challenge going on. Right now you are going to be growing 1 budsicle. You actually have space for about 8-10 plants. If not more. You have a lot of space in your case that is not going to be used.

I use 10 oz containers for clones in my pc. I use roughly 20 oz (32 oz gatorade bottle with the top cut off) for a 12/12 from seed. Id use more if I was going to grow one plant with veg time and lst or scrog, but I like the smaller plants better personally.

Looks like your first grow is comming along nicely. Good luck !

Giess i should have mentioned this is one of the second round of seeds. Its been vegging at 18/6 for about a month. It was topped at the forth node, planning on lst or scrog.

ITS A GIRL.

and thank god, as i really don't have time to try to veg and flower another one

These pics are day 10 from the flip, noticed preflower right around day 7.
Trying to LST using pipe cleaners bent over the lip of the pot. Been trying to move some of the top branches and fan leaves out of the way so the bottom nodes can get some more light, but she doesn't seem to want to strech out for me. Still she seems to be pretty happy.

Waterings have been with ewc tea with a tsp or so of the above mentioed fert mixed in.

Attachments

• IMG_2015041526570.jpg
    IMG_2015041526570.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2015041525630.jpg
    IMG_2015041525630.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2015041526189.jpg
    IMG_2015041526189.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 27
Hi!
Smart and clean setup! Pulling a chair ))
It’s a pain to lightproof a pc case, though you took a different approach :). What are the internal growchamber dimensions?
About the lights you have – it would be fair to divide the PLL & especially CFL amount of light by 2, IMHO. A lot of light is lost due to a large surface of emitting and reflecting to the ceiling. When you’ll count your gpw ration count on that.
PLL’s are a nice choice for a pc grow box – they need 2-3 times less space than the CFL’s. Unfortunately I failed to find the ballasts for them and had to deal with CFL’s. I’ll post my stealth pc growbox with total of 110W CFL soon.
Well done scrubber! Using those radial fans is a very good option as they create much higher pressure comparing to the axial fans. You managed to fit it in such a cramped place – good job! Could you please give some information about the fan and the amount and type of the charcoal you used?
LST or SCROG? I opted for LST in my first grow because I thought it would be easier to take care of the plant. I’ve chosen LST for the second grow as well – feel quite confident with it (managed to pull ~1oz (26-27grams Auto Blueberry) dry manicured buds from less than 0.37 sqft x 1ft H! Though, SCROG might work well too :).
To help to deal with the temperature you might consider changing the wooden ceiling with a metal one? Is the air intake surface large enough? How high the temp is at the moment?
What’s the noise level of your setup?
How much soil do you have? 1.5l (0.4 gallons aprx)? Correct me if I’m wrong, I’m used to a metric system.

Your plant seems to be pretty happy in her home. Fingers crossed, will be watching!

Thanks Strange :)

The internal dimensions of the box are 8.5 x 5.5 x 11 in or ~ 22 x 14 x 28 cm
that’s to the heat shield

The fan was bought off aliexpress for like $2 if I recall correctly
its 12v 0.18A, DC brushless with a sleeve bearing, 75x75x25mm
so i think if you search 12v DC blower 7525 you should be able to find it
Its rated for 34cfm and 25dB.. though I'm not entirely sure i believe those specs
I'd say its pushing maybe half that cfm (which is still more than enough) and maybe 30dB

I've come to realize the heat issues I was having was heat building in the exhaust part of the box
I need to get in there and cut out more of the metal so that it can vent better
and if that doesn't work I’ll install a tiny micro fan to move things around in there
In the mean time I’ve just been leaving the side off the box, and temps have been staying right around 77-78
so 10-12* or so above ambient.
The internal box is light proof and the only one sniffing around is the cat, so no worries with that.

Other then that the intake seems to allow enough flow, and the top of the internal box is just the metal top of the case, which does get a little warm, but doesn't get HOT like it did without the heat shield directing the airflow over the lights

As for the scrubber, I'm using the "chip" style carbon (fish filter carbon from walmart)
There is right around an inch of carbon between the inner tube and outer wall
It hasn't really been put to the test yet as she is just starting to smell, so the real test will be the coming weeks

You are spot on with the pot, 0.4 gal

As for the LST
I've come to realize I kind of botched this one, I really should have topped it a node lower and transplanted it so the top branches would have moved out long ways in the pot instead of short ways
I think its causing the lower branches to get shaded out more then if I had done it the other way
The pipe cleaners seem to be working very well, they are just stiff enough to hold tight but still have a little give in them so they aren’t too stiff
Plus they are pretty easy to adjust, and would be even easier if I drilled some holes in the rim, and just those as anchor points.
Also, I should have topped it 2 weeks earlier and really gotten those top branches out further before flipping to 12/12 to really get the most out of the space.

I guess this time I was just scared because the last one was a hermi, looking back though that one was an odd ball with shitty genes from the start. Guess I just wanted it to be as low stress as possible this round.

Maybe next time I'll remember that its just a weed lol

anyways, now that i have an actual keyboard in front of me I think I've rambled enough

Thanks for stoppin in :)

Will update pics when I get a chance this weekend

man i'm bad at this whole grow log thing

FINALLY getting around to getting some pics

combo of last week and this week, so week 3 and 4...

most of the lower fan leaves eventually turned yellow and more or less self pruned

I'm starting to think Mg deficiency?

So 3 days ago I started watering with a dilute solution of black strap molassis (bottle says its 8% Mg)

I also inoculated it with some mycrorhizal fungi from fungi perfecti (was working on another project and figured why not)

Attachments

• P9012132.jpg
    P9012132.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 25
  • P8272125.jpg
    P8272125.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 24
  • P9052141.jpg
    P9052141.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 26
  • P9052143.jpg
    P9052143.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 28
  • P8272123.jpg
    P8272123.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 28

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Those lower leaves turning yellow is normal. The rest of the plant looks nice and healthy. If the rest of the plant was turning yellow then I'd be worried.

Man, the plant looks great! Nice photos, the 3rd one is just outstanding! Happy to see you’re finally having a decent grow!
…which does get a little warm, but doesn't get HOT like it did without the heat shield directing the airflow over the lights…
I have to use a heat shield too; it greatly reduces the heat issue. I’d like to leave the top without the heat-shield to draw some heat away, but to my opinion a hot computer case is an alarming thing if you’re going for stealth…
0.4 gal – the same as mine! We’ll see how it goes – it’s interesting to compare the process as the grow conditions are quite similar.
The pipe cleaners seem to be working very well, they are just stiff enough to hold tight but still have a little give in them so they aren’t too stiff
Plus they are pretty easy to adjust, and would be even easier if I drilled some holes in the rim, and just those as anchor points
Nice idea to use those pipe cleaners! I haven’t seen this thingies in my country, but googled it – a neat thing! I’m using paper clips in plastic folding. You still can make holes in the pot to anchor the stuff. Use a hot nail and pliers to get the job done. I use this trick and it is very convenient.

Keep us posted! Good luck!

sooooooooooooooo....................

I guess i got lazy on this, and somehow managed to delete all the flowering pics...

but here is a shot of the final product

no weight cause i don't have a scale, i'd guess about an 8th as the buds are pretty airy

probably could have done better if I had invested in some proper nutes... but oh well

on a side note... I'm moving and need to get rid of this thing

the exaust fan has started to be very loud, so it would need to be replaced

I do have the old one that worked ok, would just need some tinkering

Attachments

• bud jar.jpg
    bud jar.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 28
  • bud.jpg
    bud.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 31
  • bud2.jpg
    bud2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 29

fuggzy

Grats on your first grow! Thats a pretty nice case man, I love the inner chamber. Great design. :)

Maybe you could look in to getting a ball bearing fan. They typically last longer and are more versatile. Sleeve bearing fans need to be mounted vertical, where ball bearing fans mount how ever you want. When a sleeve bearing is mounted horizontally it shifts the weight, and can create friction, leading to noise and a leaking bearing. Also heat effects the SB more, shorting its life span. Here is a link to compair the 2 styles. http://www.nmbtc.com/fans/white-papers/fans_ball_vs_sleeve/

If you are having trouble with air flowing through the filter you could try a higher static pressure too. Delta fans are pricey, but if you only need 1 it could be worth it to look at.
http://www.delta-fan.com/subcategory.aspx?id=13 This is a link to the centrifuge fans in general. The BCB is a high pressure, and the BFB is more general uses. They have data sheets for them all. (I think. I haven't used their site in a while) If you look you can find other good fans cheaper, this is just for a reference.

I use 2, 6" high pressure centrifuge fans pulling 23w ea, but my fans are AC. I have ~3³ft to cool/filter, and no drag issues at all. The added pressure helps a ton imho.

thanks man

I think the old micro-blower I had on there was a ball bearing one
I thought it wasn't moving enough air, but the excess temps had more to do with the lack of venting from front of the case. The only vents on the front are at the bottom and passive, so the hot air was exiting the chamber and basically just rising up to the top of the case and hanging out there. If I were to run this again I'd probably put a small fan in the front part of the case just to move the air around in there.
But again I am either selling it, or parting it out (as painful as that would be) and eventually rebuild after I get all moved.

thanks for the heads up about the sleeve vs ball bearing fans, I can attest to the sleeve bearing not holding out. will defiantly be using ball bearing next time

Cork144

lumens dont stack, they merge, you dont have 4800 lumens you have a better spread 2400, looks brilliant dude well done

Latest posts

Latest posts