What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jamaican, dub stylee

arbac

One concerns origins of Jamaican and it had to do with introduced Hemp evolving into a THC strain. I believe that is correct because the Hemp leaf that you see in illustrations is the same 5 bladed leaf that the old Jamaican was known for.

The influence of fiber hemp throughout Latin America is clear, since the Spanish brought fiber hemp to every colony in America. As for the five leaflets on each leaf, Indian varieties usually have five leaflets, it is known of the arrival of cannabis with the workers from India who arrived in Jamaica, aeemas the term ganja that defines cannabis on the island. Indian varieties possess five leaflets

The other comment was about people chasing the highly serrated, narrow leaved Columbian pheno. Early in this thread I asked about that because I didnt remember the old Jamaican looking like that.

of the African varieties is where it comes from in marked teeth. Colombian varieties have very narrow and straight leaflets, they do not have a form of mitotic use.
the teeth of the Colombian is not very marked long tooth but little marked sometimes I bent

Last edited:

arbac

Dos colombianas de criposo dónde puedes ver lo suavisado de sus acerrados

Attachments

• 60711992_2319487431446305_2169804644576919552_o.jpg
    60711992_2319487431446305_2169804644576919552_o.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 38498853_1899724873422565_3769121805567000576_o.jpg
    38498853_1899724873422565_3769121805567000576_o.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 29

arbac

two of LMN with well marked sawn edges... Not all the African ones have such marked serrations, but the trait is very common in many African These asetrates are quite common in Jamaica and Mexicans, two lanraces that clearly received the influence of seed lines brought by African slaves to these countries.

Attachments

• 6048angola-thumb.jpg
    6048angola-thumb.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Lola
    Lola
    79.2 KB · Views: 34

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
The influence of fiber hemp throughout Latin America is clear, since the Spanish brought fiber hemp to every colony in America.

I don't see it that clear really... it was never proved hemp can transform miraculously into drug Cannabis just because of sun action and so on, just speculation IMHO.

On the other hand, there are plenty historical records of drug Cannabis arriving to America during the colonial era, first to the Caribbean West Indies and Brazil, then into the mainland.

Mexico is the only mistery that remains partially unsolved I guess. :)

Bardo Eagle

Cannabis is like 20 million years old or more,natives from central asia,go to America from Bering strict,bring hemp or cannabis seeds,than American landrace :dance013: (a lot of bullshit here or the simpliest truth)
Or colonizer like Italians(Cristoforo Colombo) or spanish go there and bring the stimulating and psychedelic drug for fun and jobs,spread along America. Not a single report from inca,maya,natives America thought for the first hypothesis
The third hypothesis is english bring ganja for slave labours (indian collie weed)and than spread
Or from Africa slave
Or drugs are bad don't smoke It bring you insane and thought addict(anxiety and paranoia intensified)

arbac

I don't see it that clear really... it was never proved hemp can transform miraculously into drug Cannabis just because of sun action and so on, just speculation IMHO.

I'm not saying that hemp has been transformed into a drug.
I say that it is an influence, the rope hemp crops were quite common in all the Spanish colonies. for the same reason, hemp pollen must have been quite common in the air and it is known that in certain climates it can travel kilometers.

Perhaps it is the hemp genes that gave the calmer or even stony effect of some varieties of yesteryear from Colombia, Panama, Paraguay

arbac

I
Mexico is the only mistery that remains partially unsolved I guess. :)

I am not a great connoisseur of Mexicans, but Mexico is another point where Indian workers arrived with their plants, due to the early differentiation of lowland plants and highland plants. It is very probable that the Indians arrived with indica and sativa plants.
African slaves also arrived with their seeds, some Mexican varieties share the marked sawing of some African .
but being on the trade route to the USA, it could have influences from many different parts

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
The influence of fiber hemp throughout Latin America is clear, since the Spanish brought fiber hemp to every colony in America. As for the five leaflets on each leaf, Indian varieties usually have five leaflets, it is known of the arrival of cannabis with the workers from India who arrived in Jamaica, aeemas the term ganja that defines cannabis on the island. Indian varieties possess five leaflets

Only Chile is suitable for growing hemp because of the climate is comparable with European climate.

Drug Cannabis was brought by others to South-America like BOEL, pharmaceutical companies and researchers.

Rembetis

small update, Day 43
everything going well except for one of the wild, jungle plants. She is not happy in the 2 gallon pot but she will have to stay for now.

Rembetis

I meant to include a smoke report in yesterdays update.

One of the last seeds to sprout was a nice little female. Maybe the most Lambsbread so far. I had already dropped the lights down to 10/14 to control the stretch so she was staying small. She was never going to catch up to the others so I culled her to make room.
I was going to throw her in the compost bin because she had only been flowering for three weeks but I didnt have anything to lose so I hung her up. Forgot about her but ran across her this week end and decided to give her a try.

First thing I noticed was that she was very smooth. No coughing. Also, she gives the old Sativa droopy eyes. I have Glaucoma and felt great relief in my eyes so she is a winner already. Also very pleasant, euphoric and lasted over three hours. Energetic too. Cant take a nap but she didnt have any paranoia or jittery effect. Just a nice calm, wide awake feeling except for the eyes. Also a nice warm feeling, not the cold one. I didnt find any hybrid type effects. It was relaxing but all in the head.

I didnt expect much for a three weeker but it showed me that the strain still has promise. It would certainly be worth the effort to continue working this line. Especially for the people that have access to others seed stock and can continue to develop new lines

Ras Pablo

Veteran
Rembetis, they look great. Very interesting Jamies thanks for showing:headbange

JBM 85' from CannaBioGen was last offered in pure form not so many years ago. The Canna community, overall ignore that last offering.

Kaiki gifted me few seeds as I really wanted to try some "pure" Jamaican. I loved the experience of growing them and finished up with a couple females, one showed some blueish traits.
They were extremely resistent to everything and I harvested them in the Mediterranean around 15th November and not overiped.

The line is still around and my brother Pebble, did a great job with an open pollination about 8 years ago or so, don't really remember the dates but everything is on the net. I think JGL worked the CbG JBM too creating the DoubleJam.
Also Kaiki made and started working on his JaPan, actually really good.

The most interesting expression I've seen finished showing blue flowers, big and vigorous sativa plants that grew like monsters and where pretty well covered in resin. Strawberry and tropical notes on the palate and great uplifting effect, as Pebble use to told me they put you on the real Jamaican mood. For sure they don't look like pure Colombian or Thai. But it's a great line.

Pebble's Jamaican Blue Mountain 1985, his favourite.

picture.php

picture.php

Ras.

Rembetis

Ras Pablo,

good to hear from you. Thanks for joining in on our little conversation.

I never did understand why this strain did not find much interest or the Jamaican for that matter. Seems to be just a small group of dedicated enthusiasts.

Rembetis

I just saw an update from TRSC that they are selling Double Jam F4. Anyone know who put that out? Also says they lean more towards the Blue Mountain side.

Ras Pablo

Veteran
I just saw an update from TRSC that they are selling Double Jam F4. Anyone know who put that out? Also says they lean more towards the Blue Mountain side.

I guess is JGL work ? I know he worked hard with Jamaicans and other great stuff.

:tiphat:
Ras.

Rembetis

I didnt know if JGL is still active. Is he still part of USC? If they are his F4's I will try to get some to broaden my gene pool.

By the way Ras, I had some of the little DJ plant again last night. It just gets better. It had more of a dreamy effect and sweet dreams when I went to bed. Happy Weed for sure.

Iree!

update, I found his strains at H D. Some guy named Whish Seeds out of Canada. Same description that TRSC used

Last edited:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That '85 might be fine smoke but is not an original type Lambsbread going by pictures I have seen. Plenty of indica in it. I have been on the lookout for LB with pepper taste to it, if anyone knows of such if you can share where it is. I read in High Times of brown Jamaican with pepper taste around '74 which would add up to my experience with unknown strain. Electric is an understatement of that stuff. Electrocuted would be more accurate, but in a good way, hehe.

I had outer space pot in '74 and think it could have been Jamaican, was pepper and wood taste, all brown in color. It might have been anything like Mexican or Colombian but anyways.

Rembetis

That was the old Jamaican Yesum, electrocuted! Its like you grabbed a live wire and get tapped into some cosmic energy and you feel like superman. Crazy stuff. I wouldnt want it everyday or even every week but I would sure like to have it around.

The little sample I've been smoking lately is quality smoke but it is Double Jam and not the Lambsbread. Maybe we will see a bit of the old in one of the long flower plants. Fingers crossed.