What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jack 47 - To top or not to top

Greetings. Have had tremendous success with green poinson and am giving jack 47 a go. Would you recommend topping this strain, or letting it go single cola? I'll be growing 8 in a 4x4 tray under a 600. Height is something of an issue. My space limits me to 40" max. Many thanks for any advice!

Tommy G

:|Sweet Seeds®|:
Vendor
Veteran
Cheers mrlucky!

Welcome to the Sweet Seeds subforum at ICMag :tiphat:

In your case I would go single cola if my plans were to give them a maximum of 20 days before changing to 12/12. If my plans were to go a bit longer than that with the veg stage, then I would top them and get plants that are more branchy and cover all the available horizontal area.

You can also choose to do LST, if you have experience with it. If you don't then maybe you shouldn't as this plant can significantly stretch in the first 2 weeks of 12/12 and eventually get you by surprise...

They usually respond well when topped and usually a good number of flower spots stay levelled as multiple tops of the plant. Like that they can be all as close as possible to the light and they all get as many lumens as possible, which helps increasing final yield.

If you share your experience with us here while you grow them, we can share opinions and advice "live" :D

All the best with them and sweet smokes :peppermintstick:

tommy

Thank you Tommy! It sure is easier getting info straight from the breeder.

I typically top strains with sativa genetics, so there will be a reasonable veg time. I employ something of a scrog setup, using trellis netting to bend down tops that get a little out of hand. It's always challenging growing a new strain, guessing at what height to flower. Knowing it stretches a lot the first two weeks helps. At what height do you recommend flowering, knowing my height goal is roughly 40"? My default is 10". Usually that's fairly close.

Since I have your ear... any advice on ppm, and feeding in general? These will be recirc drip in a Rockwood chunk /growstone mix.

I appreciate your time!

Mohadib

Veteran
Since Tommy already responded, there's probably no need for any further advice on this strain, but here we go anyway...

I run a pretty indica-like pheno of Jack 47 and she responds very well to topping. She does great untopped as well, so it doesn't seem to matter much. My pheno doesn't stretch too much. Only about 35% over all, making her one of the least stretching plant I've ever run^^.

The two more sativa-leaning pheno's a friend of mine runs double in size. Which isn't too much as well, considering they grow pretty sativarish. So, over all, it seems to be a strain that's good to handle in that department.

Anyway, have fun growing her! It's a truly great and rewarding strain! :)

Thanks mohadib. Sounds like neither pheno stretches much. Thats a gigantic help i would have missed my optimum height by a longshot flowering at 10".

Tommy G

Vendor
Veteran
->

Cheers Mohadib and Brasilian, nice to see you guys around :tiphat:

Thank you Tommy! It sure is easier getting info straight from the breeder.

I typically top strains with sativa genetics, so there will be a reasonable veg time. I employ something of a scrog setup, using trellis netting to bend down tops that get a little out of hand. It's always challenging growing a new strain, guessing at what height to flower. Knowing it stretches a lot the first two weeks helps. At what height do you recommend flowering, knowing my height goal is roughly 40"? My default is 10". Usually that's fairly close.

Since I have your ear... any advice on ppm, and feeding in general? These will be recirc drip in a Rockwood chunk /growstone mix.

I appreciate your time!

I think you better change to 12/12 when they are between 15'' and 20''

They are very vigorous and usually can deal a good dose of fertilizer, so you can have and EC of between 1.0 and 1.6. But that's something you should evaluate while you have them growing by seeing how they respond and by the color of their leaves.

If you share some updates to your grow around here we will be up to share opinions ;)

All the best and sweet smokes!

tommy

Thanks Tommy and all for info on this strain. You guys literally saved me an entire grow of tiral an error. invaluable!

Tommy G

Vendor
Veteran
No problem my friend.

Keep passing by when you need opinions or when you want to show us their progress.

Sweet smokes!

tommy

Curious what the folks who have grown this are roughly yielding per inch. They seem to be taking their time in veg, and I'm wondering if I really need to veg them to 15" to get the yield I'm looking for, considering a 2x stretch in flower. We're at 5" now, 4 1/2 weeks from seed.

Tommy G

Vendor
Veteran
Cheers mrlucky!

Yes, lets see if someone else has any ideas to share. I wouldn't veg them for much longer, you'll probably only get bigger stems, although it's always hard to tell without any pictures.

Here's a nice thread in case you haven't seen it yet: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=228305

Sweet smokes!

tommy

I think i will move them to flower at 6 weeks, one way or another. They are quite homogenous, ecxept for one little guy. All but the one are roughly 5" tall and working on their 4th node. Even the little one is working on its 4th, despite being a little vertically challenged. They spent the first 3 1/2 weeks under a 250w, and have been under a 400w for the last wek.

Oh. And i did run across that thread while searching jack 47 info. At the time i didnt think to compare size at flowerig to finished size. Lol. Thanks Tommy. Gives me a better idea.

Tommy G

Vendor
Veteran
Cheers again my friend!

...and thanks for the pics ;)

Yes, they are looking good. If you are going to keep them in these same pots until harvest then I think you could change it to 12/12 in 5 or 10 days. That's what I would do if I were you. Especially if that closet is the place where they will flower, in which case they don't have that many horizontal area to fill.

They will stretch a bit. You'll probably have to do "emergency" LST, hehehe :D (which is a good thing, allowing to fill better the horizontal area)

Keep us updated and sweet smokes!

tommy

Close to the flip now. Im always conservative with the nutes, and im getting the impression they can handle a fair amount in veg at least. The were slow moving until the ppms got over 500, now they seem to be moving a little more quickly. I have noticed a little leaf curling on the edges of a few fans though. Imagine it could be a little deficiency, since i was feeding lightly. Thought i'd throw it out there for opinions...

Tommy G

Vendor
Veteran
Cheers mate!

Thanks for the update and pics.

Seems allright to me. If that's the worst looking leaf you have then there's no reason to worry. Let us know what happens when you flip to 12/12. Lets see how they react ;)

Sweet smokes!

tommy

Greetings all. Thought I'd drop in with an update.

To answer my original stretch question, average stretch in flower was 270% for me. Untopped. These were flowered under an Eye 600. I under fed in veg as im always fearful of burning, but will give more next go. In flower I started my res at roughly 1000 ppm. The first 3 weeks ppm dropped as they ate a lot. Weeks 4 and 5 were pretty stable, and weeks 6 and 7 saw rising ppm. Flush weeks 8 and 9, cut at 9.5 weeks.

With the exception of one runt, these were pretty consistent. Largest was 29" and yielded 3.9oz. Buds are solid and sexy, and were nicely developed on side and lower branches. Just finished drying and haven't lit up yet, but I'm thinking maybe tonight. Kinda fun to smoke a little as it cures to note the changes..

I have sweet cheese in veg now. They are beasts... I can't believe how much they're eating!

Latest posts

Latest posts