What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ivermectin for Spidermites

Mushroommonki

Apparently the popular De-wormer Ivermectin is extremely effective against spider mites.

Has anyone tried this???

A brief intro, please bear with me guys-
A couple of years ago I used an ivermectin horse de-wormer to treat my dog when she had scabies. I f---ed up though and gave her the dose for about a 600lb horse by accident. The dog lived, didn't get sick at all, and all the mites digging under her skin died within a day or two.

Then, today I saw on UK420 where a guy had treated his spider mite infestation with a spray made from ivermectin bird miticide and water, it killed all of the mites and none of the plants- apollo 13 I believe. Then I looked more and found the same treatment on an orchid forum for Two spotted spider mites. Then it made sense to me, the scabies on my dog were MITES- slowly, and somewhat dimmly the light bulb came on inside my brain... Sometimes I hate being on the slow side.

For those who don't know: Ivermectin is a very popular horse,cattle, pig, sheep, bird, cat and dog de-wormer. You give it to your dogs when you give them heart guard. It is used on humans too, sold as Stromectol®. It also is certain death for most types of paracitic mites, including the ones that cause mange in cats and dogs. Chemically it is related to avermectin B which I believe is the main ingredient to Plant Vitality Plus, a proven kill all for mites (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). I found out more about the where it came from and uses of it, but I don't want to bore you all.

Ivermectin can be bought as an oral jel for horses, or in a topical or injectable liquid for cattle, sheep or pigs and such at your local feed and farm supply store, Tractor Supply Company, Southern States, or online from most horse or farm catalogs, valleyvet.com for example. IT's about 15 bucks for 250ml of pour on de-wormer. and the cheap Ivermectin Gel goes for about $2.50. The dosage is 1ml per 22lbs of bodyweight for the pour on, and one tube treats a 1200lb horse with the gel.

I have not tried it yet. and I don't know what ratio to mix it at. THe gel wormer seems the most likely candidate simply because of it's price, and the fact that the one dose should treat a s---load of plants. I am going to give this a shot and post my results, but I wanted to know what the peanut gallery had to say, as well as share my "discovery" with the rest of you all.

HAS ANYONE TRIED THIS HERE???
What kind of ratio of Ivermectin to water should I use?
I'm just saying... this stuff is a helluva lot cheaper than most spider mite remedies out there, and is said to kill em dead, without the bug bombs and other such madness.

THANK YOU ICMAG FORUMS. I OWE YOU MUCH KNOWLEGE.

F. Dupp

Veteran
I have not heard of this, but it makes sense.
I had a horrible mite infestation last year. When I first saw I had them I followed someones advice and got predator mites. This did nothing. I was told to give the predators a month and they would take over the spider mites. A month later I was completely infested.
I bought some Forbid and Floramite. I sprayed the plants with the Forbid, and a week later with the Floramite. This killed ALL OF THEM including eggs and hatchlings.
I sprayed 2 more times with each over the next 2 months just to make sure they didnt come back. I never saw another mite.
These 2 products work. You can buy them by the ounce on ebay for like 20 bucks each. An ounce goes a long way. I still have over half left of each. I will never have mites again.
Dont fuck around with experiments. Kill those bastards.

Mix 1/8 oz. of Forbid to 1 gallon water. Apply with a hudson sprayer. You need not spray the undersides of leaves as the Forbid is translaminar.

The Floramite stays in the leaves for up to 3 weeks to kill anything that may hatch in that time, to end the mites cycle. Dont use Floramite on anything you will be harvesting within 3 weeks because of this.

Mr. Stinky

u dont need floramite. forbid stays active in the leaf for over 8 weeks, doesnt need to be sprayed under the leaf, and kills everything. i spray everything down as it goes into flower, and zero mites...ever. the 20 dollars u send on forbid will last you years, and save you a ton of money in poisons and pesticides. not to mention your yield will be much much higher. there isnt a cheaper way to deal with mites. i really wish everyone would stop poisoning themselves and others, and just use forbid.(im not saying ur ivermectin would be poison, im refering to the endless list of pesticides and other poisons so many noobs and el-cheapo growers on here use. it drives me nuts to see so many posters still fighting mites after a year of struggles and spending 100 bucks on junk at wally world or the feed mill. its only 20 bucks!! if you grow weed and cant afford 20 bucks, u need to look for a new job. :) )

dont know the seller but he is doing us a huge favor. heres a link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FORBID-4F-MITIC...LASS-MAIL-/170515151412?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Mushroommonki

Thanks for giving me the time fellas.
Yeah, I've heard good things about forbid, just never tried it.
I run Rapid DWC so I usually just pull the whole plant out to the sink and wash the F--- out of it.
I've got a spider mite metropolis going on right now, and as idiotic as this sounds, just haven't taken the time out of my life to deal with it. I'm in between grows right now, but have a bunch of Super Lemon Haze clones just staying small under a 26 watt cfl. They have been there waaayyy too long, but landlord problems instigated a massacre in my Vert lab about a month ago and i killed everything but my bonsai moms and babies and they have been cowering in the clone-zone ever since. I just cant start em yet so they sit there, in zero nute water, feeding the ravenous mites, and staying small.

But their day of liberation is near!! and when that day finally arrives I'd imagine a bunch of mite free clones might be nice. So I think I'll just go get some forbid. Any special instructions for use on pot? How long should I wait before hitting them again? Should I expect any kind of foliage burn or the like? My hydro shop guy here is most unhelpful when it comes to anything that just might have something to do with MJ.

But just for shits and giggles, i'll try out the ivermectin on one of the babies and post my results. I have horses so I always have some around, which is the main reason I asked. I wouldn't even have to leave the house.

Once again Thanks for the imput.
Peace and buds,
Monki

roll it large

Coco-grower
Veteran
it rocks 1000% garantee you this will stop your probs with mites this stuff only stays on plant for 10 days its not systemic you should be able to use it in flower i use 0.5ml per liter water thats at 0.35 strength ivermectin

you would have to drink 2000ltrs of made up solution for it to do any harm,the water will kill you first lol its used for humans too

if i can find the data sheet for it i will post it up its been tested on plants

peace

calum

I took the plunge on my ornamental plants infested with red spidermites, Ivermectin is a miracle. It killed it instantly (well maybe took 2 hours) what other suggestions didn't work. Neem/eco oils , soap sprays and the regular pesticides never worked. why this secret isn't out and shared widely I have no clue. Thank you guys for suggesting this I pretty much discovered gold.